Single CR123A Thrower

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have soured on li ion batteries since a recent short circuit so I'm looking for good throw from a pocketable, thrower with a clip. I don't want a pinpoint useless beam but 100 meters throw would be terrific. If not possible then at least 50 meters.

I lean toward xpg2 because I like the beam profile but maybe I'm better off with xpe, I don't know. Not crazy about xml on a single primary CR123A

Not interested in custom jobs. Price $100 or less.

Thanks!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have soured on li ion batteries since a recent short circuit so I'm looking for good throw from a pocketable, thrower with a clip. I don't want a pinpoint useless beam but 100 meters throw would be terrific. If not possible then at least 50 meters.

I lean toward xpg2 because I like the beam profile but maybe I'm better off with xpe, I don't know. Not crazy about xml on a single primary CR123A

Not interested in custom jobs. Price $100 or less.

Thanks!

So as not to throw your request off topic, mind linking the thread on that if you're discussing it elsewhere?

Anyway my first thought was the E1DL would be perfect until I got to budget, it's over $100. What are your length & dia. limits, that you still consider pocketable. That's the great thing about the e1dl, how small it is yet still 7,000cd.

recDNA

Flashaholic
It's a great flashlight but a little too big. I'm actually going to put it in a little cubby in my car when not carrying it so 3 inches max length. I also don't like crenulated bezels and then there's the price.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I think the Nitecore EC1 is pretty throwy for a single cr123 light. Might be nice to have in the car, but on tailcap lock-out.
Selfbuilt reviewed it at 5150 lux@1m (144m throw) but that was the initial XP-G R5 version. It looks like it's been updated to XP-G2, and where the initial was specified at 280 lumens, the newer one has 330 lumens on turbo. Not sure how those numbers keep up, but in selfbuilt's reviews this one outthrows most others. Especially for the small size.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...EA2)-Round-up-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'll check it out. Thanks. The e1dl doesn't serve any need I have but now I want it. I hate that!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Oh I see the nitecore has a red light option. Can't think of any use for that. Might be cheaper without it.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Still available new on Amazon but too expensive and only 110 lumens. Can't throw far with such little output in that lens.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire E1B ... discontinued but they still seem to appear regularly, used, for ~$100 :)

+1. Love my E1B and it throws much further than the 110 lumens spec indicates.

Still available new on Amazon but too expensive and only 110 lumens. Can't throw far with such little output in that lens.

Check out these threads for some beam shots and comparisons:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...1-Surefire-Backup-E1B-Review-(Beamshot-added)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...p-Stock-2D-Mag-LED-vs-Daylite-160-(Pic-Heavy)

archimedes

Flashaholic
....Can't throw far with such little output in that lens.

You might be surprised :shrug: - Out of all the (many) lights I've tried, I think that the E1B is the best compact (single-cell, non-custom) thrower, by far ....

EDIT - I've been looking for an "upgrade" in that niche for over a year, too. Still haven't found anything better :)

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Too bad it doesnt have e1dl xpg2 & driver. Surefire lens is my best shot.

Is lux available?

Last edited:

lightmyfire13

Enlightened
Try a solarforce shorty with a vihnguhen54 xpg2 dropin .....400m throw armytek predator territory. ..

archimedes

Flashaholic
....Not interested in custom jobs. Price $100 or less....

McGizmo Makai with a 1x123 body?

Great choice ... but a bit over budget :devil:

Another nice option would be an M30 in a VME, and your choice of E-series host ... but that Malkoff dropin alone would easily cost $100 ++ , if you could even find one :eek:

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I measured again. More like 3.3 inch max but the solarforce shorty is probably too fat. My sunwayman v11r fits but no room to spare. I'll keep an eye on cpfmp for small surefires because I don't mind scratches but they're still too expensive from what I've seen.

I can't find a shorty L2M body or entire host at any USA dealers anyway it seems

Let's really try to keep it under $100.

Last edited: