need a time programmable MP3 player

cckw

Newly Enlightened
I need an MP3 player or app for an I-phone that will allow an MP-3 to be played on a schedule. Honestly this is for a mausoleum (building full of dead people). They want a recording of chimes to play at the top of the hour or whatever like that. I install sound equipment, but messing with apps or other software gives me a a true headache within 20 minutes. When it comes to software I miss the 80's! So please help me solve this one.

dleeallen

Newly Enlightened
Can't you just use the alarm clock function on the iPhone? May have to set a bunch of alarms to cover the day but then have them all repeat daily. Use your mp3 as the alarm sound.

cckw

Newly Enlightened
Can't you just use the alarm clock function on the iPhone? May have to set a bunch of alarms to cover the day but then have them all repeat daily. Use your mp3 as the alarm sound.

I-phone wants to play it repeatedly. Unless anyone knows how to get single play. I'm trying it on I-phone 4. If there is a way to make single play, is there a way to turn off vibrate?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You'd have to keep that iPhone charged and maintained, aside from being not-stolen. I would think it'd be easier to install actual chimes on a basic clock circuit..

cckw

Newly Enlightened
You'd have to keep that iPhone charged and maintained, aside from being not-stolen. I would think it'd be easier to install actual chimes on a basic clock circuit..

Don't undermine my sound sound system sales dude! Just kidding, the sound is already installed. The system is locked in a closet. Iphone would stay on a wall charger inside the rack bolted o the wall. I have an unused Iphone 4 that I would be happy to use if anyone has an idea on how to get single play.... or anyone know how long an alarm will ring before giving up? Maybe I should download "Livin La Vida Loca" as an alarm and find out.

dleeallen, thanks for the idea. It is great if we can cure this. I would not have thought of it on my own. I don't do ringtones or any of that stuff. I hate Siri. I have texted less in my life then the teenage girl next door does in a single afternoon. But I do use the camera and gps. although 99% use it to speak in actual voice to other humans.

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
it occurs to me that you could just create an hour long mp3 file, and get a cheap mp3 player that you can set to just loop the same audio file over and over. I use Audacity to edit mp3's, and it provides a lot of timing precision.

edit: maybe I should mention that the first xx seconds of the file is the alarm/chime that you want to go off, and the remainder of the file is dead silence.

cckw

Newly Enlightened
I have a new thought that I think will work. Lets say the song they want played is 3:40 in length. If I set a new alarm 4 minutes later I expect that would kill the first alarm... So now I need to re-record the original song to add silence to the end of it, so it lasts beyond the 4minutes. Then I have to save silence as an mp3 for the follow up alarm. Do you think I have it solved? Can anyone tell me how to do the mp3 recording? I have a PC but access to a Mac.