making normal LED waterproof by "potting" in polyurethane resin?

DeepB

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Would it be possible to make a "normal" Led Spot waterproof by encapsulating it in polyurethane resin?

If this works this would be a quick and dirty (and cheap) method of making diving lights.

Thanks
Daniel

sharkbite

Newly Enlightened
I'd say its possible....

But it is also a way of ruining a perfectly good flashlight....

These days, there are a raft of cheap dive lights available -
probably cheaper than buying a pot of glue ;-)

cheers,

DeepB

Newly Enlightened
really? Take an MR16 LED Spot (a few bucks), some glue (a few bucks), a battery and a cable, and you have a very low-cost canister light. I would not know any canister light that is even in the same ballpark. If there is please let me know ;)

thanks
Daniel

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The good news is, a conformal coating can make any surface waterproof*.

The bad news is, it won't STAY waterproof if you use it, scuff it, bend it, take it out in sunlight, click buttons, or submerge it deeply. The reasons for these range from damage or fatigue to the coating, UV damage, or simple pressure: Thirty feet underwater is about like a toddler stomping on the front glass of the light.

sharkbite

Newly Enlightened
really? Take an MR16 LED Spot (a few bucks), some glue (a few bucks), a battery and a cable, and you have a very low-cost canister light. I would not know any canister light that is even in the same ballpark. If there is please let me know ;)

thanks
Daniel

Ah i thought you meant something like this:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?237323-Modified-MTE-SSC-P7-900-Lumen-2-Mode

This method is now obsolete as you can buy a ready-made one for about the same price....

the same guy does something similar to what i think you are describing...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?238176-DIY-water-cooled-amp-sectional-P7-UW-light

Although once again, cheap flashlights are now of the same performance....

way back in the 00's on another dive-light nutters forum that is now defunct.....(most of the tragics from that appear to be here now, including me ;-) )
a guy made a canlight by soldering up an MR16 halogen to an SLA, and covering all the sensitive bits with silicone...
It worked - but when pressed on how long,how deep and how many dives, went strangely silent.

Give it a go matey - post the pics up here!