ThruNite Neutron 2A (New)

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
New light from ThruNite, claims its the brightest AA light in the world.

www.thrunite.com/neutron-2a/

Looking at runtimes, seems like the same unethical advertisement that nitecore tried to pull with their ea4. There's obviously a dropdown at 3-5 minutes, but if it drops down to less than 50% of that brightness, it is no longer ANSI. So now I wonder if the brightness drops from 800lm to 230lm because the runtimes are 200 minutes @800lm and only +15 minutes at 230lm. Being that there is a 15 minute difference at a vastly contrasting brightness, I'd think that their claim of 800lm alfor 200 minutes is somewhat questionable. I'll probably still pick one of them up anyway, but it's just for other potential less wary consumers to think about.

kj2

Flashaholic
Looking at runtimes, seems like the same unethical advertisement that nitecore tried to pull with their ea4. There's obviously a dropdown at 3-5 minutes, but if it drops down to less than 50% of that brightness, it is no longer ANSI. So now I wonder if the brightness drops from 800lm to 230lm because the runtimes are 200 minutes @800lm and only +15 minutes at 230lm. Being that there is a 15 minute difference at a vastly contrasting brightness, I'd think that their claim of 800lm alfor 200 minutes is somewhat questionable. I'll probably still pick one of them up anyway, but it's just for other potential less wary consumers to think about.

That's the beautiful part, they don't claim ANSI standard. Thunite has some nice lights, but their specs (and especially their runtimes) are questionable.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with the unfair marketing. It's the same with all 1x18650/2xCR123 800+lm lights. But I think ANSI has 10% and not 50%. There is propably no 2AA which can hold 400lm for 200min, but 80lm is no problem. So according to ANSI the specs are correct if the 800lm light with 200min runtime puts out 80lm at 200min mark. Still it isn't fair because 800lm actually is the selling argument, and it's barely available at all.

That's the beautiful part, they don't claim ANSI standard. Thunite has some nice lights, but their specs (and especially their runtimes) are questionable.

Aha, ok. That means we can't be sure that the output is 80lm at 200min, it can be even lower...

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
+ 4 on unethical marketing. Low on 1xAA is 11 lms for 72 hrs? Or ~800 lumen-hrs from a AA? The recent T10s claimed a similar ~800 lumen-hrs and it fell far, far short in Selfbuilt's test. Can't buy from company with little integrity.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hi all,

My review of the new Neutron 2014 series 2A and 2C is now up:

Thrunite Neutron 2A (1xAA/14500 2xAA) and 2C (1xRCR/18650 2xCR123A/RCR) 2014 Review

To summarize, the output specs I was given by Thrunite are actually pretty accurate for ANSI FL-1, in my testing. Step-down from Turbo to Hi occurs at 4 mins. You can typically restart Turbo, but with a few exceptions (especially on the 2A). See my full review for details.

P.S.: Here's a couple of runtime graphs of the 2A that might stimulate your interest:

1A-HiEne.gif

2A-HiEne.gif

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
As always, Selfbuilt comes through with an spot on review of an amazing new light. Truly mind boggling how bright the 1xAA configuration can get on a single Eneloop, and even more so that it can sustain a turbo mode of 800 lumens on a 14500 cell for 4 minutes before stepping down. WOW :eek:.

I will say though, comparing it to the ZL SC52, it's quite a bit bigger, which would account for it's being able to run at such a high level for so long (more added mass). In fact, it actually looks to be bigger than the ZL SC62.

Still, you've got to hand it to Thrunite, that is a mighty impressive little AA light.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys were saying?

I still call BS on what I said ;) - 11 lms for 72 hrs or ~800 lm-hrs on a AA. Moonlight looks kinda averagish at ~32 lm-hrs. High looks on par with an SC52 (a little more output for a little less runtime).

Max, however, sure is a mighty impressive leap in both output and efficiency on 1x Eneloop from anything else in the market. I would expect each new light coming to the market to be an incremental improvement, but this light is a real leap and has a beautifully regulated output/runtime graph.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone seems to be more interested in brightness and runtime, but we seem to omit some critical factors like built and design. Having owned the older 1A neutron, I can only say that the body on the old 1A neutron seems to be so well built it could withstand a bomb. Although the shiny looking clip looks kinda out of place with the 1A neutron, it does serve it's purpose pretty well. I hate clip-on clips and will probably not feel confident with one on my lights.

That said, could anyone comment on the built as well as the clip (if any)?

holygeez03

Enlightened
Ok Ok, I'm impressed :) Thrunite did change the specs (don't see 800 lumens now) on their website.

As stated above, the Thrunite site does not currently state a "Turbo" output for 2xAA, which should be similar to the output when using a 14500, right? So can this thing output ~800 lumens with 2xAA/14500 or not?

holygeez03

Enlightened
Thrunite claims 650 lumens, selfbuilt measured 720lm on 2xAA.

Where do you see the 650 lumen Thrunite spec?

If I am reading the chart correctly... selfbuilt measured 810 with a 14500? I would really like to see the 2Av2 running a 14500 compared directly to the SC62...

And I can only imagine what this new Thrunite driver could do with an 18650... or do they already offer something like that?

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
will the thrunite driver also work in my sc52?

i dont like thrunite label or host, the sc52 looks much more exquisite :party:

holygeez03

Enlightened
I admit that I suffered from analysis paralysis and didn't see that an 18650 was tested... 890 lumens isn't as impressive as I hoped (compared to 810 with a 14500), but the runtime looks great.

In that case, I would love to see some real world comparison between the 2Av2/14500, SC62, and 2Cv2/18650...

Once the NW versions are available, I'm not sure which I want more: the 2Av2/14500 or 2Cv2/18650... I hope the beam profile is as good as my current 1A/14500 NW (actually warm white), which is still my favorite profile of any light I own if looking for a "perfect cone" with very little difference between hotspot and spill.

Really not sure how I feel about the switch, UI, and overall look/build... but I do like the price.

holygeez03

Enlightened
i dont like thrunite label or host, the sc52 looks much more exquisite :party:

Agreed... the ZL's definitely have style which one can love or hate (I love)... Thrunite might have taken a step back with the overall look.