New headlights, complete unit help

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I'm trying to figure out the best way to get good vision on a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 truck. It has the standard factory headlights with one bulb per side of truck (9004, I think).

The factory headlight buckets are pretty discolored/fogged. I know that typically, factory replacement units are best. Is there a better Euro spec unit? Also, I'm wondering about the best bulbs for this headlight.

I'm aware of Daniel Sterns wire harnesses.

Any advice is appreciated. I'd like to find the combination to get the best legal lighting possible.

Kind of like:
Xyz headlights
xyz headlight bulbs
Daniel Stern wire harness

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There are no European-code headlamps for that truck, and all the aftermarket headlamps (of any style/type) are pathetic junk. So are the OE single-bulb headlamps; they were the subject of two hurry-up fix jobs just before those trucks were first released in '94, because the first and second design iterations were too pathetic to meet minimum requirements. The third fix brought them just barely into compliance.

There's really only one way to get decent seeing on one of those: put in the OE Chrysler Ram Sport headlamps which have two bulbs in each: an HB5 (9007) high/low plus an HB1 (9004) high. Stern has a harness specifically for this changeover, and GE Night Hawk Platinum (9004, 9007) or Philips Xtreme Vision (9004, 9007) bulbs.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
Thank you Virgil, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for being so specific and helping me out.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
You're welcome. I should add, be careful and picky when buying component parts for this swap. Buy a reliable harness; there's all kinds of muddled and mistaken info on how these lamps should be hooked up and how they should operate. Get it wrong, and you risk everything from a fire to a sudden loss of all headlamps while driving in the dark, to creating a safety hazard for other drivers.

fangle

Newly Enlightened
If you search many of the ram www forums have copies of a detailed swap description Mr. Stern wrote for this conversion from regular to sport lights. There are also many sites showing the needed rework of the inner fenders on early trucks. Your '01 should not need metal work to fit the lights. Be careful, there are many WRONG how-to articles on the wiring. Dan Stern has the right way in his email. The big problem I've found is price. The conversion starts to look like a mortgage payment with OEM lights at well over $200 per side plus bulbs plus relays plus wiring. Anyone have a source for the lights?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
It's really a "pay now or pay more later" choice. The only headlamps worth buying are the genuine Mopar/Chrysler ones; all the aftermarket ones are trash. There are many online discount vendors of genuine parts for any car brand.