Tiny aluminium host for laser pointer?

OS74

Newly Enlightened
I would like to make a couple of waterproof laser pointers to be used as underwater measure by providing a parallel beam pattern on the subject I am filming.

I've raised this before here some years ago, however i think the market of hosts may have evolved since.

I'm looking for a cheap slim aluminium host that ideally takes a single 18650 battery, these would be fixed in parallel position on an aluminium profile and fixed on the camera tray.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
/O

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I would like to make a couple of waterproof laser pointers to be used as underwater measure by providing a parallel beam pattern on the subject I am filming.

I've raised this before here some years ago, however i think the market of hosts may have evolved since.

I'm looking for a cheap slim aluminium host that ideally takes a single 18650 battery, these would be fixed in parallel position on an aluminium profile and fixed on the camera tray.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
/O

Head over to the laser sub-forum here, and look for Tmack.

OS74

Newly Enlightened
Ah thanks, however the application seems to be more of 1W laser sabres than my needs to project a 20mW red dot.

What's the smallest metal dive waterproof light to be found?

Rgds
/O

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Ah thanks, however the application seems to be more of 1W laser sabres than my needs to project a 20mW red dot.

What's the smallest metal dive waterproof light to be found?

Rgds
/O

Well, no, its anything you want...if you want weaker, that's not harder to make, etc.

:D

I've had him make me pen style laser pointers, for pointing close up indoors or outside at shorter ranges, as well as longer range in bright daylight "light sabres", etc.

Just PM him.

OS74

Newly Enlightened
Thanks,

330307 seems practical with some flat surfaces to mount on. Otherwise 162540 is even cheaper at $11, however it does seem to lack flat surfaces to mount on,

Also, these are clickety switches which should be wothless underwater as they push in, or worse leaks. Do you have any experience with those?

With a laser, they could be hard, wired though, and the switch glued shut.

Cheers
/O

cyberdiamond

Newly Enlightened
I have a Aquatec LED-1700 mini-light and its about 10cm (4in) long by 1.6cm (5/8 in) diameter, rated to 120m (390ft) depth and cost me about $25 from memory.
It is tiny and already shaped like a laser pointer so you could probably strip it and put the laser inside.

jspeybro

Enlightened
Thanks,

330307 seems practical with some flat surfaces to mount on. Otherwise 162540 is even cheaper at $11, however it does seem to lack flat surfaces to mount on,

Also, these are clickety switches which should be wothless underwater as they push in, or worse leaks. Do you have any experience with those?

With a laser, they could be hard, wired though, and the switch glued shut.

Cheers
/O

No I don't have experience with them so don't know if the switch will work.
The second doesn't have a clicky switch, so it should be doable to convert it to laser I think. If you take the led and reflector out, and take a small laser, it may fit. not sure which laser you had in mind.
There are ways around not having flat surface for mounting it on a profile.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every tailcap pushbutton will be activated and be flooded when submerged because of their construction. The only ones didn't were the piston type I made years ago. which also activated by pressure, but at least didn't flooded. Get a twisty, or make it twisty.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, unless you are diving in warm water isn't cold temps likely to be an issue with a laser?