Help troubleshooting Fenix E21

asrjcb

Newly Enlightened
Hi, newbie to the forum. I've had a Fenix E21 for ~3 years. Today, I could not get it to turn on. Not a battery issue. Never had a on/off switch issue and it sounds fine. Is it possible the bulb is gone? How would I/can I get a replacement bulb? I'd appreciate any help I can get to troubleshoot. Thanks.

kj2

Flashaholic
Highly doubt it, the led is dead. Threads are clean? contact point are clean? Tailcap ring (the ring surrounding the spring inside) tighten?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
First try and bypass the mechanical clicky - with the tail cap off, use a piece of tinfoil or paperclip to bridge the neg. batt. terminal with the bare battery tube edge, if it works, then it's the clicky (which usually just requires some cleaning and tightening of the retaining ring).

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
First try and bypass the mechanical clicky - with the tail cap off, use a piece of tinfoil or paperclip to bridge the neg. batt. terminal with the bare battery tube edge, if it works, then it's the clicky (which usually just requires some cleaning and tightening of the retaining ring).

Good advice. It's most likely just the retaining ring in the tailcap.

IMG_1424.jpg

asrjcb

Newly Enlightened
Wow everyone, thanks for all the tips. I'm sorry I missed the other post which was similar. I did do a search first and nothing came up.

Also read post 6 in this thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/388641[/QUOTE]

I was able to get the switch apart but it was very hard to unscrew. I never maintain the threads or internals. The switch was dirty with some battery fluid, likely from my use of regular AA batteries - - I never knew that I need special batteries. I cleaned everything, lubricated the threads and installed new batteries and - - no joy. My best guess is the switch is bad. I'll order a new one along with some batteries and give it another shot.
Thanks for all the help.

asrjcb

Newly Enlightened
One more question. Just went looking for a Fenix Replacement Switch TS01. Cheapest I could find was $12.95 + $7 shipping. $20 repair cost seems a little steep for a $40 flashlight. Any suggestions on where to buy a replacement switch?

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Not really... Does the board on the switch still look corroded at all? I'm curious to see how much damage there is. I'm surprised you could find one at all considering that they don't even make that light any more.

kj2

Flashaholic
One more question. Just went looking for a Fenix Replacement Switch TS01. Cheapest I could find was $12.95 + $7 shipping. $20 repair cost seems a little steep for a $40 flashlight. Any suggestions on where to buy a replacement switch?
Where are your located at? My Fenix dealer here has replacement switch for €3,95

asrjcb

Newly Enlightened
Where are your located at? My Fenix dealer here has replacement switch for €3,95

Wow, I'd take that in a second. However, I'm located in Panama City, Panama. Shipping to here is almost impossible. I do get back to the US every 2 months. How much to ship to 712 Sunny Pine Way, Greenacres, FL 33415?

For the previous response, there was some corrosion on the circuit board. Some of the green protective coating? came off when I was cleaning it so I assumed it was toast.

Latest posts