SunwayLED        
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new on the Cool Fall front?

Default Re: Anything new on the Cool Fall front?

Ok, lets take this out of the realm of fantasy back to reality.

Data, I was thinking about how to make the throw of the Aspheric component of a future Tri-V3 insane and came up with the idea of using a dedomed emitter such as an XP-E2 behind a miniature fabricated collar along the lines of a Wavien collar to redirect some of the light back to the dedomed emitter along the same principals as some of the led throw-kings are well known on CPF (except in smaller scale obviously)

You have probably thought of this already, but its a thought that just occurred to me.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    Ok, lets take this out of the realm of fantasy back to reality.

Data, I was thinking about how to make the throw of the Aspheric component of a future Tri-V3 insane and came up with the idea of using a dedomed emitter such as an XP-E2 behind a miniature fabricated collar along the lines of a Wavien collar to redirect some of the light back to the dedomed emitter along the same principals as some of the led throw-kings are well known on CPF (except in smaller scale obviously)

You have probably thought of this already, but its a thought that just occurred to me.
    I have been working on that exact idea for yeas. I am in the middle of building yet another prototype emitter this week. If all goes well I could have something to report soon. Wavien is a good way to recover lost light but it does not fit in this tiny space without being miniaturized. You can get lots of artifacts in the beam if the edge of the reflector is inside the diameter of the aspheric lens. It is a complicated problem as there is so little space in the Tri-V. I am ok with some beam artifacts in the spot light because they do not show up when you are lighting up a tree at 400' anyway.

Dedomed emitters are great if you are building something that does not have a life time warrantee. It appears they may last for some time but the verdict is still out. They could degrade due to the oxygen that is getting to the phosphor. Add to that, that the phosphor composition is changed from time to time as new iterations of emitters come out.

Many do not like the color shift of a dedomed emitter. It is sad too because dedomed emitters really work good with an aspheric lens.

The beam angle of the super powerful aspheric throwers is too tight to match up with my Tri-V goal. Not that I will ever be faced with that problem given the small size of the aspheric lens in the Tri-V. I want a medium sized beam at 300 feet but not too small of a spot. The goal is not to see how far the light can throw (we leave that to the big guns) but rather to balance its usefulness to the reflector of a typical EDC sized light. That would be something of about an inch or smaller in diameter. The previous Tri-V lights have a very usable size throw beam. I just want it way brighter. The STFu MK4 is capable of 3300mA and only a couple emitters can handle that much power. Still, we are limited to the XM-L2 and the XP-L.

The Tri-V would already be ready if I had this problem worked out. Soon I hope . . .

Thanks for the ideas everybody, I appreciate it.

Cheers
    Dave

Dave, thank you for the insightful update. It's nice to get to know the development behind some of these lights you build and when we are finally able to acquire one, there is a lot more meaning with the final product in our hands.

I will continue to wait with bated breath for your new lights
    I'm Ryan.

Flashaholic* ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond's Avatar

Wow - cool update. It would be pretty awesome if you could get a XM-L2 driven at full power behind that glass lens and still get a killer throw beam.

Quote Originally Posted by Data View Post
    ....... Dedomed emitters are great if you are building something that does not have a life time warrantee. It appears they may last for some time but the verdict is still out. They could degrade due to the oxygen that is getting to the phosphor. Add to that, that the phosphor composition is changed from time to time as new iterations of emitters come out.

Many do not like the color shift of a dedomed emitter. It is sad too because dedomed emitters really work good with an aspheric lens.....
    There are some leds appearing in packages already without domes from the manufacturer like Lumileds SBT70 and SBT90. Olight are now manufacturing a light called the Javelot which is utilising a customised dedomed XM-L2 emitter package. Whether this was something that was commissioned specially by Olight from Cree, or whether Olight dedomed them themselves, I'm not sure.

The shift towards a warmer tint could be compensated by the dedoming of cool-white emitters. ie. dedoming a 7000K emitter will probably still result in an acceptable neutral tint afterwards.
    Last edited by easilyled; 11-19-2014 at 03:24 PM.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    There are some leds appearing in packages already without domes from the manufacturer like Lumileds SBT70 and SBT90. Olight are now manufacturing a light called the Javelot which is utilising a customised dedomed XM-L2 emitter package. Whether this was something that was commissioned specially by Olight from Cree, or whether Olight dedomed them themselves, I'm not sure.

The shift towards a warmer tint could be compensated by the dedoming of cool-white emitters. ie. dedoming a 7000K emitter will probably still result in an acceptable neutral tint afterwards.
    I have old gold Dragon emitters that have no dome. They used to make them. It would be nice if Cree could cater to the custom flashlight industry. Fat chance that will ever happen, we do not use enough product to make it worth their time. Still you never know if some industry like video projectors could have enough demand. Thanks for letting me know what you found.

The XM-L2 dedome shift in color is not along the pure white line. In order to end up with a nice white color regardless of its color temperature you would have to start with an emitter that has way less green in it and some what less yellow in it. The resultant color shift is not very desirable to my eye. Also, you can not source emitters for your dedoming process that start way off of the white line like you could in the old days. The Cree manufacturing processes are just too good now.

Cheers
    Dave

I am getting really excited about the Tri-V 3! My original Tri-V may need a roomate!

RIDE

I must say that I just landed in this forum and am already waiting to see what comes next (actually made a down payment on the Tri-V...).

Just wanted to add my "little" input to the requests or input to the upcoming models. What about adding 4 o 5 small LEDs or one that changes color to get a direct indication of battery power? No need to add an extra button just make the info apear for a couple of seconds every time the main knob is used.

Thanks!

Popcorn Re: Anything new on the Cool Fall front?

The SPY 009 and the TRI-V 3 coming some time in 2015 ?????

The Tri-V will be available early next year. I am still making progress on it but there are a few details to take care of yet. We got the Droid Carabineer done so that is now out of the way. They are available now in that thread.

The 007 that will be optionally outfitted with the new battery cap and knob will also be available early next year. Two other SPY lights are also in the works for late 2015.

Happy Holidays.

Cheers
    Dave

Wow! Two new lights in addition to the new Tri-V... Now, it sure looks like 2015 will be an interesting year!
    Thanks for the heads-up on what is to come...

Happy Holidays!

Two other SPY lights are also in the works for late 2015.

Happy Holidays.

Cheers
    Dave
    Ever since I sold the 007 I had for a bit, I have wanted to add another CF light in my arsenal. Excited to see what they will be and if they might be a good fit for me.

Any updates Dave? Got some cash burning a hole in my pocket and need a new light for work! Gonna try a tri-v this time!!
    AlTiN SPY007, Ti-Mirage_Man Customs, Ti LPK, Chrome Draco, Arc AAAx3, LuxIII Arc LS

Quote Originally Posted by stevevh View Post
    Any updates Dave? Got some cash burning a hole in my pocket and need a new light for work! Gonna try a tri-v this time!!
    Still working my way through the holiday rush then it is back to the Tri-V. It is my top priority.

Anybody interested in the engraved lights that are left please make me an offer.

Cheers
    Dave

Still working my way through the holiday rush then it is back to the Tri-V. It is my top priority.

Anybody interested in the engraved lights that are left please make me an offer.

Cheers
    Dave
    Hey Dave, will the new Tri-V have the new knob you have been working on?
    I'm Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by KuanR View Post
    Hey Dave, will the new Tri-V have the new knob you have been working on?
    Yes, and the new battery cap. They will both be exotic options, not standard equipment.

Cheers
    Dave

exotic options, not standard equipment.

Cheers
    Dave
    I like the sound of that and can't wait to see how the Tri-V is reincarnated in the latest iteration.
    I'm Ryan.

I am saving up for the new wave of the Tri-V. I think its a must have for any serious collector. Very curious to see what is coming down the Cool Fall road.

Cheers
    Dave
    What engraved lights???

Coltrane, check out this thread: SPY 007 XM-L2 ENGRAVED

Quote Originally Posted by Coltrane View Post
    What engraved lights???
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...XM-L2-ENGRAVED

Thanks! Though it was engraved Tri-Vs...

so can't wait for the V3

I'm very excited for the Tri-V3. I've been saving up for a few months now Is there some sort of email notification list I could get on so I don't miss the sales thread?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by VVilliam View Post
    Is there some sort of email notification list I could get on so I don't miss the sales thread?
    Good idea indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by VVilliam View Post
    I'm very excited for the Tri-V3. I've been saving up for a few months now Is there some sort of email notification list I could get on so I don't miss the sales thread?
    Gentlemen, take a look at the "Subscribe To Cool Fall Thread(Made In USA)"

Right on!

Quote Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
    Gentlemen, take a look at the "Subscribe To Cool Fall Thread(Made In USA)"
    On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Flashaholic* ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond's Avatar

Go to the root of the Cool Fall forum. There is a thread called "Subscribe to Cool Fall". That is the notification thread so subscribe to that one and you should get updates as new products are released.

Flashaholic*

Thanks guys!

Yes, thanks guys! That takes a bit of the edge off of the suspense.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast