EAGTAC        
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new on the Cool Fall front?

Default Re: Anything new on the Cool Fall front?

Quote Originally Posted by Data View Post
    But then it would not be the Tri-V! No, the bare emitter will still be there. I appreciate where you're coming from but I see that as belonging on some other flashlight. One of the ideological reasons that I hold the line on this is, I want this light to still fit in your pocket. It does a lot of things and it was obviously my goal from the very beginning to make this thing as tiny as I could make it.I know it flies in the face of convention that you can directly see and even touch(very gingerly) the flood emitter, but that's where it gets part of its charm and uniqueness, no?

It takes many months to machine Tri-V bodies and heads. They're all done, in fact everything is done except my final emitter selection details, and assembly. Assembly takes a lot of time and instead of building them all ahead of time this go-round, I plan on just building a couple and releasing them. We are getting closer.

Cheers
    Dave

Yayyyyyy Dave, thats fantastic news... Once the emitters and final details are done, we will be bugging you alot for the product release and purchase!!! Can't wait to see what all you have in store for us

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    The Tri-V is a fantastic light, but that is all the more reason why I want to feel safe carrying it around and frankly with a bare emitter, it doesn't feel quite as safe to me.

I can't quite follow why putting a protective glass cover over the bare emitter would increase the size of the light much.

However you make such fantastic products that I feel foolish trying to contest any decisions that you make. I did have the original Tri-V-V1 but I sold it because I felt that it was slightly vulnerable to the outside environment and I felt more comfortable with the 007s which I perceived to be more robust.
    You are right of course, it's not safe. It requires some level of attention and care, but so does the optically coated aspheric lens. Thank you, indeed, as much as the 007 is perceived robust the Tri-V is its alter ego. To me it was like I was challenging myself to create something so vulnerable. It's not for everybody.

Thank you for the kind compliments. But, I don't want anybody to feel like they can't challenge me.

For a decade now, my flashlights have been designed here amongst my CPF friends with tons of feedback and criticism from everybody about everything that goes into these. All my prototypes and pre-CPF designs get shown and tested at the Photon Fest meetings twice a year. I get lots of feedback there. And many of you are carrying prototypes of one form or another including the new twist cap. Please don't ever stop calling it as you see it.

However, the one thing that you have to keep in mind is that the Tri-V isn't variable, it's a fixed design of many many years and it has proven itself at least reliable if not practical. There's a lot of them out there, some of which are being EDCed and we have only had one first-generation flood emitter damaged. I told everybody, don't worry about it, I give a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser on all my flashlights. If the flood emitter gets damaged I'm gonna fix it. It shouldn't be something that you obsess over.

Cheers
    Dave

I've been carrying a tri-v most days for about a year now. It is always in my front pants pocket, or front jacket pocket all by itself. For some reason, that little area for the flood emitter doesn't even collect lint or dust. I've long since stopped worrying about damaging it. When the light is in my pocket, it is oriented downwards, which eliminates the possibility of the emitter getting poked if I run into anything. The only reason I could see a need for a covering is if the light were redesigned to be water proof. Anyways, I think the open-air flood is really neat. It might also help with heat management. I just wanted to voice my support of that specific design aspect.

..... There's a lot of them out there, some of which are being EDCed and we have only had one first-generation flood emitter damaged. I told everybody, don't worry about it, I give a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser on all my flashlights. If the flood emitter gets damaged I'm gonna fix it. It shouldn't be something that you obsess over.

Cheers
    Dave
    The lifetime warranty and the rarity of occurrences of any problems encountered due to the bare emitters should indeed allay all rational apprehension!
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    The lifetime warranty and the rarity of occurrences of any problems encountered due to the bare emitters should indeed allay all rational apprehension!
    LOL

Dave, will the old lens caps fit the tri-v3?

Yes it will fit the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid9P View Post
    You know I'm always down for a road trip A nice fall get together would be awesome.
    I concur!

Dave should release some teaser pictures of the new lights that are a WIP.
    My Lights

Now also on Instagram: lefteye219

Hoping the new lights show up for sale soon. Our Cdn $ keeps dropping which increases my cost. As of now, there is about a 25% premium converting Cdn to US.
    Cough cough

Hoping for a sneak peak of the 009...or whatever it's called
    On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Flashaholic

Default Anything new on the Cool Fall front?

Quote Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
    Hoping the new lights show up for sale soon. Our Cdn $ keeps dropping which increases my cost. As of now, there is about a 25% premium converting Cdn to US.
    Cough cough
    Yes. Not liking this drop in our dollar at all myself. I will definitely find the funds for this new release, somehow :shrugs:

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

haha try buying one with aussie dollars

Okay- I thought I would throw out my idea for a new flashlight from Cool Fall... Basically half way between a Spy 007 and a Tri-V. Essentially it would be a 007, but with a secondary flood emitter. I call it the "Double Agent"

Now if that housing for the flood emitter was able to handle a small aspheric lens, giving you the choice of secondary being flood or spot beam, and Dave could build you either one without requiring two separate head designs...

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Now if that housing for the flood emitter was able to handle a small aspheric lens, giving you the choice of secondary being flood or spot beam, and Dave could build you either one without requiring two separate head designs...
    I think we may have something here...

Hey Dave, any updates on the Tri-V progress?

I have been holding out from buying anything in anticipation of this light's release. My 2 Hanko lights I usually EDC have disappeared in the mail and I'm dreadfully looking into a replacement and the Tri-V is THE light I want!
    I'm Ryan.

I'm picturing (In my non-engineer, simple thinking...) a round housing for the alternate emitter, with a threaded insert that screws down on the inside of the housing, leaving the flood emitter exposed but protecting the internal threads. Shelf at the appropriate height for an aspheric that acts as a stop for the threaded insert, maybe an o-ring there about the same thickness as the edge of the aspheric lens. Remove the insert a'la the 007 bezel now, (pressing on a rubber shoe sole and twisting or something similar) and drop the aspheric in place. Re-install the threaded insert to button it all up. Maybe this allows for a lens over the flood the same thickness as the lip, or edge, of the aspheric? Best of all worlds from a modular standpoint, allows waterproofing to maintain the 007's reputation for ruggedness... Don't mind me Dave, just pipe dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by KuanR View Post
    Hey Dave, any updates on the Tri-V progress?

I have been holding out from buying anything in anticipation of this light's release. My 2 Hanko lights I usually EDC have disappeared in the mail and I'm dreadfully looking into a replacement and the Tri-V is THE light I want!
    +1

This is the most anticipated light we are yet to see... Teaser pics is something Dave should release... Also interested in the new lights he is coming out with but this time, I don't want to miss the SWGG.
    My Lights

Default Anything new on the Cool Fall front?

When the Spy Tri-V3s come out, are there LED options, or does it only come with specific emitters? I prefer warm tint and high CRI. Using The McGizmo flashlight terms, the Tri-V is like having a Haiku, a Mule, and a Sundrop all rolled into a tiny compact light...
    Last edited by InvisibleFrodo; 04-29-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    Okay- I thought I would throw out my idea for a new flashlight from Cool Fall... Basically half way between a Spy 007 and a Tri-V. Essentially it would be a 007, but with a secondary flood emitter. I call it the "Double Agent"
    I too think this is a good direction to go in. Been giving this lots of cycles over the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Does that mean that you would like to configure your light before you left the house for the evening?

Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    When the Spy Tri-V3s come out, are there LED options, or does it only come with specific emitters? I prefer warm tint and high CRI. Using The McGizmo flashlight terms, the Tri-V is like having a Haiku, a Mule, and a Sundrop all rolled into a tiny compact light...
    In the past I did offer emitter choices on the Tri-V. I am not promising that again on the base Tri-V, but I always entertain requests for something specific if it fits the configuration. As it is with the 007, if the emitter fits, why not?

Cheers
    Dave

Flashaholic* ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond's Avatar

Dave - I know you are constantly on the hunt for a promising new emitter for the Aspheric. Looks like Cree just released in production the XP-L high intensity led. A production de-domed LED. I wonder if this is worth consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by lefteye219 View Post
    +1

. . . Also interested in the new lights he is coming out with but this time, I don't want to miss the SWGG.

I meant the SWGG Tri-V3.. Scull engraved 007 would be a while I think
    My Lights

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond View Post
    Dave - I know you are constantly on the hunt for a promising new emitter for the Aspheric. Looks like Cree just released in production the XP-L high intensity led. A production de-domed LED. I wonder if this is worth consideration.
    I have developed a safe process to dedome the emitters like the XM-L and XP-G that works great. But I will check it out. Let me know if you see them for sale.

The "L" die size is too big to get a beam equal to the XR-E given the Tri-V aspheric lens. It gives more light but the throw is less. That may be OK depending on any particular flashlight's goal. However for the Tri-V the goal is to throw farther or use less power.

It has always been the XR-E verses all contenders and they all come up short if you cannot use Wavien technology. Which, in the scale of the Tri-V, that is a no go.

Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by lefteye219 View Post
    I meant the SWGG Tri-V3.. Scull engraved 007 would be a while I think
    I already have several SW GG Tri-V bodies ready.

I have developed a safe process to dedome the emitters like the XM-L and XP-G that works great. But I will check it out. Let me know if you see them for sale.
    Reading this is getting my excited! The dedomed XP-G2 will outperform the new XP-L High Intensity LEDs. I'm all for the most amount of throw as possible from the Tri-V3
    I'm Ryan.

I tried quoting your post above Dave, asking about configuring the light as you go. Sounds like you've given it a bit more thought than I did. I was going for modularity and ease of assembly, but I like your thinking better...
    Last edited by scout24; 04-30-2015 at 05:20 AM.

This is getting exciting. Put my name for one and take my money
    My Lights

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast