Mounting a headlamp to a bike helmet?

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
I want to get a headlamp such as HC90 ect for general use but also want to mount it to my vented bike helmet (Cyclist helmet) I want to get a head lamp with built in battery's not a wired one as its a point of failure and a pain in the rear IMO. But do want to burst a lot of lumens so HC90 and the like are perfect and I see vinh dose this modded as well so if I can mount it, it would be perfect! any ideas, how do you do it? I know you can mount a torch to a helmet but then I cant wear it on my head, it will be to supplement my Fenix BC30Vn (I did think about a 2*18650 host on my head such as a MTG2 or one of the sportac dropins but vinh reckons this might be to heavy)??? So as I dont own a headlamp I want to kill two stones with one bird! (I guess a rear battery pack might work for longer rutimes on brighter modes but then Im not sure , this may make mounting even harder, what do you guys run.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a flashlight in a Twofish Lockblock pump holder (it's a parallel vs perpendicular config) threaded through my bike helmet's vents.

Esko

Enlightened
I have a Spark ST6 NW as a bike helmet light. I have attached it with 3 short velcro straps; one goes between the light and the silicone holder and the others are next to the holder on both sides. The rest of the headband goes to the back of the helmet and due to the shape of the helmet, it stays there without any extra help and without being stretched (if it didn't, I'd just put a fourth velcro strap there).

Bigblue

Newly Enlightened
I have the HC90vn and actually have it right under my helmet. It has worked fine for me. I don't think my forehead is extraordinarily big... again, I don't think.

I previously had bicycle lights mounted on the helmet via velcro, which worked fine too. But liked having the HC90vn under the helmet better because no extra weight on the helmet.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Hmm Ok, Looks Like I just grab one and see if it fits under the helmet, if not velcro and failing that then I can just use it as a headlamp. Thanks all.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
picture says a thousand words, type in bike helmet mounted light, in google search, click on images button, and you'll see hundreds of pics how peopel do it. some are quite creative,

neonnoun

Newly Enlightened
For a headlamp option mounted on a helmet, the twofish lockblock mounted above or below the helmet visor married up with a Zebralight H600 has worked well for me. It's a bit floody for my tastes, but it does offer me the most flexibility of all my lights. I really appreciate the ability to twist the light, which is mounted parallel the handlebars, up and down depending on how far over I'm hunched. (i.e. in the rain I always find myself tipping the light up from its normal position as I tip the helmet down to block the rain.

Please don't fall for the external battery packs. The cabling between the light and the battery is almost certain to fail at some point.

Off topic, but google "Exposure Helmet Mount" for an unique (although limited) torch mount. I wish the mount held a wider variety of torch diameters.

Esko

Enlightened
I have the HC90vn and actually have it right under my helmet. It has worked fine for me. I don't think my forehead is extraordinarily big... again, I don't think.

I previously had bicycle lights mounted on the helmet via velcro, which worked fine too. But liked having the HC90vn under the helmet better because no extra weight on the helmet.

Many years ago, I also used Petzl Myo XP under my helmet. The light source was very close to eyes, which meant that the thinnest fog made vision blurry. It also meant that there were virtually no shadows what so ever, which made it more difficult to see the surface shapes in some situations (especially off road). Plus, it was not very comfortable... I certainly prefer mounting to helmet.

spankone

Enlightened
I fitted my spark ST6 using the exposure joy stick mount. It now holds my pd35.