good rcr123a batteries and charger?

pokelda2

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a ledlenser m8 flashlight which I really like but unfortunately it runs on cr213a batteries and the tenergy 18650 batteries that I have dont quite work. The flashlight flashes every 10 seconds when the batteries are about to run out of juice so that you know when to change them. However the 18650 batteries that I have make it do this even with a full charge. i have tenergy 2600 mAh 3.7v rechargeable batteries. What is a good rcr123a battery that I could use? also will the tenergy charger item number 01269-01 be able to charge them? Also how their run time compare to regular cr123a batteries? My flashlight came with duracell ultra cr213as or will I need to get another charger for them? I want to get some good ones as long as they aren't super expensive, Since I think that I will likely need to get a charger as well. or barring that where can I get a good deal on bulk orders or cr123a batteries?

Last edited:

pokelda2

Newly Enlightened
can you reccomend a good charger and brand of 18350 batteries? From what ive heard ultrafire are best avoided.

also for this light the cr123a batteries are a rather snug fit. can you give me the length of an 18350 battery? I cant seem to find any information on them.

most icr 18350s ive found are 3.7 volts are they safe to use in a flashlight that uses 3 volt batteries?

Last edited:

jp_over

Newly Enlightened
CR123 - recommended reliable rechargeable batteries & charger

Friends,

Any suggestions on the most reliable / cost effective CR123s that are rechargeable? I know that Powerex makes an excellent AA recharger, but I'm not as familiar with the CR123 options or even preferred/decent chargers.

I'm open to all brands & even different battery types but would like to keep the flashlights that I have which run CR123.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CR123 / surefire - recommended reliable rechargeable batteries & charger

SureFire markets RCR123s and a charger, made by K2 Energy, who can sell you their stuff online, albeit with a rather large shipping charge.

Check, there.

Chris

jp_over

Newly Enlightened
Re: CR123 / surefire - recommended reliable rechargeable batteries & charger

Thanks Chris!

Does anyone have experience with the Surefire SF2R-KIT01 (Battery Charger + Two LFP 123A Batteries)? Perhaps this with an additional 2 x LFP 123As would be a good start for my backyard light which goes through about 2 CR123s per month. I realize it might be a bit expensive, but I don't mind paying for quality/reliable/proven stuff.

radiopej

Enlightened
Re: CR123 - recommended reliable rechargeable batteries & charger

I like the KeepPower ones I bought. They're protected, so they're a bit big for things like the EagleTac D25C or Atom AL. Works perfectly in my Olight M10. Well, worked. I lost the torch :(

radiopej

Enlightened

The VP1/VP2 from Xtar chargerd seem awesome. I have the WP2 and it's good, but the spacer annoys me. The VP has a better sliding bar and should hold them better.

jp_over

Newly Enlightened

I looked at KeepPower batteries & the VP2 charger - but am a bit confused. Are CR123 format batteries called something else (like a different number) if they're protected and rechargeable?

How do you all keep track of the # of charges on a set (a 3 x 5 card perhaps) or is there a clear indicator on the charger when a set is at it's limit?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

I looked at KeepPower batteries & the VP2 charger - but am a bit confused. Are CR123 format batteries called something else (like a different number) if they're protected and rechargeable?

How do you all keep track of the # of charges on a set (a 3 x 5 card perhaps) or is there a clear indicator on the charger when a set is at it's limit?

I've written this in other posts a lot the last couple of days, but we basically have three individual types of li-ion cells that are the same size as primary CR123A single use lithium cells:

I'm now referring to these as RCR123s:

3.0v LiFePO4. These closely match the CR123As in voltage and are generally safe to run in SF lights, many of which only allow up ~6.0+ volt input.

Most of us call the following by their numeric dimensional number: 16340.

3.7v Li-Cobalt. These are generally protected, but since they come hot off the charger at ~4.2v, two of them will blow a lot of lights only meant to run 3.0v cells.

3.7v Li-Manganese. These are generally unprotected cells, due to Li-Mn having a higher thermal runaway temperture vs. Li-Co cells. Much like Li-Cos, two of them in a 6.0v light would be a problem.

Li-Co and Li-Mn use the same charging algorithm--one found in most of our li-ion chargers.

LiFePO4 needs a different charging algorithm, so you have to keep that in mind.

There are now chargers, like the Xtar VP2 and SP2 and the new NiteCore D4 (?) that can charge the former and both the latter, so you're good to go there.

You always need to know the max input voltage for any driver board found in your lights, to know what cells you might be able to run, so check that first.

I don't bother marking down cycles, as I get an idea of how worn they're getting by seeing the voltage drop as they come off the charger.

Chris

jp_over

Newly Enlightened

Chris, thanks for taking a moment to educate me. Having said all that, do you think it's a better option to keep my lights or perhaps upgrade to the 18650 platform across the board?

For example, the SC600 has some unbelievable lumens compared to what I'm getting on my Surefire defenders.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chris, thanks for taking a moment to educate me. Having said all that, do you think it's a better option to keep my lights or perhaps upgrade to the 18650 platform across the board?

For example, the SC600 has some unbelievable lumens compared to what I'm getting on my Surefire defenders.

Two schools of thought:

Standardize on one, or a couple 'types' of batteries, or spread things out, just in case you lose the ability to access those certain batteries that you've banked on, rendering your items useless.

I'm a reloader and have lots of different powders, primers and bullets, whereas a lot of people don't want to be bothered and stick with one, or two powders, bullet types and whatnot.

That's fine and dandy, since one could argue that you're keeping things simple, as long as you can get what you're used to using, but if you can't find it, then you're kind of screwed, aren't you?

There are a lot of li-ion and NiMH cells and batteries that work in various lights and I've got many of them, that I can run providing me with light, so I'm not hurting should something happen to my AAs, or 18650s.

It's a philosophical decision and there's really no right answer, just one that works best for you.

I like variety, some people do not.

As to the lights you have, but might not want to use often, going forward, save them for the time when you might have to lend them out in a crisis. I've rarely used my 6D MLs over the past 15 years, but they're there if power goes out during the next hurricane and a neighbor needs some help.

Chris

radiopej

Enlightened

My usual practice is to put 18650s in anything that can take them and use RCR123 on single-celled small ones that get used a lot. I keep backup torches powered by primary CR123s.

16340 and 18650 refer to rough dimensions of the cell e.g. 18 mm x 65 mm, 0 = cylindrical.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

As to recommended reliable; AW is top of the list. Stay away in general from xxxx fire (trust, fandy, etc). Do not buy on Ebay - there are too many 18650 cells that have come out of laptop battery packs that can just have a new sleeve slapped on them. I've taken laptop battery packs apart myself, but I make sure I identify them and use them in single cell lights only. Any multiple cell lights (even parallel setups) I like to stay with "sets" of cells for them.

jp_over

Newly Enlightened

nfetterly - where can I get AW? Is this a forum member that I need to locate or a store/business?

parkschr

Newly Enlightened
Decent CR123

Haven't been on here for over a year.

I am looking at getting some CR123's. What is recommended now? It used to be Pansonic.
And where would you recommend I get them.

Thanks

UnderPar

Enlightened
Re: Decent CR123

Am using Panasonic, FourSevens and Nitecore CR123A primary cells and is so far very satisfied with it. Try to check the "Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included" thread where Selfbuilt made a comparison of several CR123 primary batteries. It would be of great help to you.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast

Battery station, surefire, panasonic or any USA made battery is good.

CaptainPicard

Newly Enlightened

USA made batteries are good. I have had good luck with foursevens and titanium innovations cells too.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums