An incand ring for a SF A2, is that possible?

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got an a2 with a strion socket and calypso ii ring with those great warm white leds. This combo is just awsome.

But I am kind of becoming a true incand fan so I am wondering if anyone has discussed the possibility of making an incand ring to replace the LED ring? Physically, 3 minimag xenon bulbs would fit just fine and their lumen output would be right, too.

scout24

Flashaholic
I wonder if one of Koala's onion rings would work? The LED's are user changable, so that's easy. The limiting factor may be the max drive level of 35ish ma on his rings. Maybe he can bump that... Any idea what the minimag amp draw is? Even the Solitaire bulbs may work. Interesting thread idea! :)

Illum

Flashaholic
Lamps that small..... besides a midget flange there's lead types that can fit in the T1-3/4...
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/683/CM683-ND/123089
http://www.surplusgizmos.com/T1-34-5mm-White-Incandescent-Light-Bulb_p_2406.html

Only problem is incandescents don't seem to be very sociable with CC drivers.

Koala's socket has the pins spaced out at 0.1" or about 2.5mm. You're going to break more minimag lamps trying to get it to fit then getting any useful output. Plus maglight incandescents at that level driven at correct levels blacken almost in one use. :ohgeez:

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Filaments don't do well in groups. The efficiency of a filament is roughly proportional to voltage. Can you instead use a resistored tailcap on a single filament bulb?

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just occurred to me that the native regulator of an a2 produces 4.5V that is right the voltage for 3 solitair bulbs in series. So it may be a purely passive mod so that the ring with 3 bulbs is powered first and then the same 4.5V are supplied to the main bulb.

Last edited: