Review: Olight SR Mini (3x XM-L2, 3x 18650/6x CR123, 2800 lumens)

kj2

Flashaholic
One of the latest additions in the Olight SR-series, is the SR Mini. The SR Mini is a small handheld pocketable searchlight, putting out a max of 2800 lumens.
This little guy is bright, very bright :)

2yvqp7n.jpg

The packaging:

The SR Mini comes in Olight's new style packaging. With my sample came a extra pronged bezel. The sticker says it's a gift, so it could be that later batches comes without one.

2ynmbrn.jpg
2ccte7n.jpg

11vh7wh.jpg
a1ms82.jpg

2yo7txl.jpg

Inside the packaging you'll find the following; The SR Mini, User manual, Olight leaflets, Warranty card, Holster, Lanyard, 3x CR123 tubes (to prevent rattling), Gifted bezel and two replacement o-rings.
The extra bezel comes with 4 screws and a Allen wrench.

28tl151.jpg

Specifications: (Given by Olight)
2h37cig.jpg

User Interfacace:

The SR Mini has a simple to use UI. You do have to try it a few times, because it works differently than you would expect.
From Off, single press to turn-On the light. Again a single click will turn it Off. When On, double press to switch modes. To get into Turbo, press and hold the switch.
The only way to select Turbo is to hold the switch. This also works from Off. Downside is that you can't select Turbo, and let the switch loose. This is probably done because of the
quick heat built-up when you've the light in Turbo.
A triple-click will give you a nasty Strobe. When the light is On, the led underneath the switch turns-on, so you can see where the switch is. A handy feature to have, although when the light is Off,
the button is completely dark. A location flash would be nice to have. The SR Mini has mode-memory but not for Strobe and Turbo.

15mmmpd.jpg

The Light:

4l2e05.jpg
21n04yx.jpg

rvhms4.jpg
1767ix.jpg

2ezjzh5.jpg
vn1940.jpg

if981y.jpg
11tpjwl.jpg

As you can see the SR Mini uses a highly diffused acrylic lens. This lens give a smooth flood-beam which causes to light-up everything at close range.
You do lose throw but you gain a wide-view in front.

2e2p20h.jpg
14lpyj8.jpg

24e8aaw.jpg

With the diffuser taken off, you can see the leds.

14ugmjs.jpg
96wzet.jpg

The SR Mini doesn't use a battery-carrier. Instead, Olight milled-out the slots for the batteries. A big plus because battery-carrier usually tends to break or get defective.
Because of the milled-out slots, Olight had to restyle the tailcap. The tailcap has a rotating-part so the springs will stay in the right place. On my sample it needed quite some pressure to tighten it good.
It felt like the wasn't any lube inside the tailcap. Olight does note flat-top 18650s won't work and the light doesn't support RCR123 (16340) batteries.

2j31lzd.jpg
4vie0x.jpg

A look down the tube,

21exjx1.jpg
fl92tx.jpg

The threads on the SR Mini came lubed :)

maid78.jpg
a5cnpe.jpg

Switching or replacing the bezel is a easy job. The bezel is held in place with four screws. With the provided Allen wrench you can take the bezel off.

2cep1rk.jpg
16a6s14.jpg

2pozd51.jpg

Size comparison:

2l97hv9.jpg
2ng7laf.jpg

From left to right; Sunwayman F40A, Olight SR Mini, Fenix TK35 Ultimate Edition.

Beamshots:

(To be able to compare, I photograph beamshots with the same settings. In previous review I selected settings to be as closely to what I saw in real-life. That way comparison between my reviews
can be difficult. Shutter-time is short so photos are more likely to be darker, then you would see in real-life.)

F/5, 1/30 sec, ISO400. Canon 500D
Camera and light approx 4 meters away from the wall. Batteries used; 3x Cytac 2400mAh 18650

Low - Medium

2vx4043.jpg
2a7y35s.jpg

High - Turbo

j959fk.jpg
2eoy9fc.jpg

Conclusion:

The SR Mini is all-round light. You've lots of spill and a wall of light, but you've to deal with less throw. For close-up illumination this light could be the right choice for you.
Specially when you're hiking, camping or need to light-up a large area, the SR Mini is worth to take a look at.
It is a compact-sized light but because of the three 18650s inside, it does have weight to it. It's is a pricey light, what is the biggest downside of this light in my opinion.

- Review-sample was provided by Adola B.V. and Olight -

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome review, one of the best i've read in 2014!!

ven

Flashaholic
Great review:thumbsup: i do love the mini,great light for camping use and pretty much anything that needs a wall of light:) Mentioned before,imo it could do with another mode,quite a bit lower for close up work but other than that its superb:twothumbs

kj2

Flashaholic
Great review:thumbsup: i do love the mini,great light for camping use and pretty much anything that needs a wall of light:) Mentioned before,imo it could do with another mode,quite a bit lower for close up work but other than that its superb:twothumbs

200 lumens is quite a lot, yeah. A extra 30-50 lumens mode (and using only 1 led) would be a nice update.

Captain Obvious

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking at this light aswel. I really like the form factor. It's very small yet very powerful. And I like the fact that it's fat and short. I got big hands so it fits me perfectly.
My biggest downside is the 200 lumen low setting. Like you said 200 lumen is very bright if you want to just read something in the dark. You nearly need sunglasses to do so. And if Selfbuilt shows it to be around 370 lumens then you definitely need sunglasses.

Very good review btw Kj2!

ettercap

Newly Enlightened
Nice review!

Definitely a cool form factor and packs a punch given its size...but not sure I could live with the drawbacks, and hard to imagine what niche it could fill for me...

VRus

Newly Enlightened
could you comment on the firmness ('spring-loadedness') of the switch action?

as keeping a hard-spring depressed to hold turbo could be tiring (just guessing)
Nice review, good to see a high-power light with a proper built-in diffuser coming out... :twothumbs

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
could you comment on the firmness ('spring-loadedness') of the switch action?

as keeping a hard-spring depressed to hold turbo could be tiring (just guessing)
Nice review, good to see a high-power light with a proper built-in diffuser coming out... :twothumbs
Switch needs some force to press. It's less then you normally have with a traditional tailcap-clicky. If you would hold the switch, with one finger for a longer time period, I imagine your finger will get tired.
But as it only needs continues pressing for Turbo, and with Turbo the light gets hot fast, I don't see users getting their finger(s) tired.

VRus

Newly Enlightened
Switch needs some force to press. It's less then you normally have with a traditional tailcap-clicky. If you would hold the switch, with one finger for a longer time period, I imagine your finger will get tired.
But as it only needs continues pressing for Turbo, and with Turbo the light gets hot fast, I don't see users getting their finger(s) tired.

so i thumb-holding it down for 10-20seconds shouldn't be a problem you'd reckon?

ven

Flashaholic
I have had no issue at all holding the power down for turbo,it is not a thumb burster by any means,just an average force required and a minute or 2 is fine.

jmsodpc

Newly Enlightened
i'm trying to justify this purchase...what do you people use a light like this for? seems a bit bright for a light on the night stand.

kj2

Flashaholic
I use it for walking and little bit hiking. Walk my dog a lot in the forest (at night), so a good flood light with enough lumens is nice to have.

ven

Flashaholic
As its just so easy to carry due to compact round size(great for any decent pocket be it combats or coat) i use mine for pretty much anything. It will still throw sufficient in a field or woods but also light up around in a nice white diffused smooth tint. I would say it makes a great all round usable light ,obv geared for flood but flood is very useful. I use mine camping,walking,wooded areas(small forests) and even around house from time to time on lowest setting(too high to be stealthy though).

If you have a shop and not too sure try one out,i am sure you would be sold. Its funny really but can only speak for me..........i was slightly underwhelmed at first being so small but still it is solid. If the tm series like tm11 did a tm5 then thats what i would compare it too although the output is higher buy a good way. It just feels so nice in hand,UI although not perfect as double clicks to go up modes,still works well and allows instant turbo access,then reverting back to original mode(i like that a lot).

If you need a compact solid well made mini flood light with reasonable throw,in what appears to me as a pure(ish)white tint then this could be the light.

The sr52 makes a perfect companion for long distance work...........another must imo if you get the mini

Just watch for the roll,stand it tail or head(providing the prong bezel is not fitted) for security.

BanditoPete

Newly Enlightened
Have had my Mini for about a month. It was a birthday gift and putting out hints prior to my bd paid off. Overall I'm pleased with it. The "wall of light" is very bright and, after the initial 'wow' factor, I find myself using the turbo mode fairly infrequently. I use mine for late night walks, a home security light, and finding small pieces of Kanthal I may have dropped or snipped while making coils for my atomizers (I'm a vaper). I too wish it had a lower mode than the 200lm setting. It's a nice light but, as I have used it, I realize that I really prefer lights with more throw.

BanditoPete

Newly Enlightened
New Olight Mini Intimidator Switch

My friend just purchased one and it now seems that as of earlier this month, Olight elected to change the switch:

Lock Out Function

To ensure against accidental activation during
transport, the side switch now has a lockout
feature. When the flashlight is in the OFF
position, triple click the side switch to activate
the lockout function. The light will flash three
times to indicate the light has been set in the
lockout position. To unlock the light triple click
the side switch.

New Button Material

The side switch is now made out of soft Silicone
which reduces accidental activation by 80%

Memory Function

After the light has been turned off for more
than 10 minutes the next time you turn on the
flashlight, it will automatically go to the medium
brightness level.

Personally, I tried this new switch on my friend's new Mini and don't like it. It's the same material as the SR52 and to me it's seemingly more sensitive than the original switch.

kj2

Flashaholic
Re: New Olight Mini Intimidator Switch

My friend just purchased one and it now seems that as of earlier this month, Olight elected to change the switch:

Lock Out Function

To ensure against accidental activation during
transport, the side switch now has a lockout
feature. When the flashlight is in the OFF
position, triple click the side switch to activate
the lockout function. The light will flash three
times to indicate the light has been set in the
lockout position. To unlock the light triple click
the side switch.

New Button Material

The side switch is now made out of soft Silicone
which reduces accidental activation by 80%

Memory Function

After the light has been turned off for more
than 10 minutes the next time you turn on the
flashlight, it will automatically go to the medium
brightness level.

Personally, I tried this new switch on my friend's new Mini and don't like it. It's the same material as the SR52 and to me it's seemingly more sensitive than the original switch.

Photo possible? Led underneath button still present and visible?