What Are The Most Common Rechargeable Batteries Currently For Flashloghts?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
As posted above, what batteries are the most common rechargeable for flashlights? Of course, most common might be the least expensive. What is the best, if there is such a thing, for rechargeable flashlights? Is it 18650, RCR1234As, etc? Are proprietary battery sticks losing popularity?

Norm

Retired Administrator
Don't forget AAs such as Eneloops.

Based on sales figures AA would have to be the most popular cell sold today, I have 40 plus AA Eneloops and only about 10 18650s. Most homes that buy rechargeable batteries would have many AAs but zero 18650s.

Norm

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am definitely bringing up the average for 18650s - have WAY more of that type than anything else. After all, it is definitely the most advanced cell, at least right now. Equivalent to FOUR high quality AAs. But I have no idea what is really the most popular. Without a randomized (or total) survey, I don't think anyone can confidently state what is most popular. All we can do is guess, and that guess is likely to be based on what we like. AA guys will say AA, 18650 guys will say 18650, and so on.

Is there a point to this question? Are you just looking to follow the crowd, or are you curious for other reasons?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say that, when it comes to the actual number of cells, it HAS to be AA batteries. Remember that loose 18650s are typically only used for flashlights and ecigs. AA batteries are used for flashlights and a whole host of other electronic gadgets. Not to mention that NiMH AA batteries are widely available. But you actually have to look for loose 18650s.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Matt said, I'll vote the AAs.

Even on this board, where we're battery junkies, there are still a lot of people who use primaries, like the CR123As, so they might actually be the most popular, but AAs and even AAAs are pretty ubiquitous.

Chris

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
In stand alone cylindrical rechargeable batteries it has to be NiMH AA and AAA sizes with D and C NiMh sizes in their low capacity versions next. They are about the only ones available at virtually every battery seller in the country from Walmart to your local drug store or supermarket. They are the ubiquitous rechargeable battery. NONE of the types of stores I mentioned carry rechargeable lithium Ion batteries as stand alone items. They are typically sold as proprietary battery packs in computer and electronics stores for portable computers and cell phones and again as proprietary packs for battery driven power tools at Sears, Home Depot and Lowes, Unless you open the packs up you cannot even be sure what battery sizes are used in the packs.

If you have a local store that handles E-cig Vaping equipment and supplies you might find individual lithium ion batteries available I have heard but such stores are not yet common and with web sales I wonder if they will ever be.

Just look in your average store and the flashlights available are mostly AA with some D size Mag-Lites available at Lowes and Home Depot. Show me a Lithium Ion battery using flashlight available at Walmart or another retailer. I expect you will have trouble finding one. I bet the types and prices of flashlights CPF members favor are less than 1% of the total market. The main segments using better flashlights would be Fire, Rescue, EMT and Military personnel and from my understanding they typically are using lights which take CR123A primary batteries that are issued to them, along with their lights.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly AA alkalines primaries (like Duracell and Energizer standard batteries) have to be the most common battery format. For rechargeables, I'd have to say AA NiMH cells are by far the most common for electronics that take easily replaceable batteries, such as flashlights, radios, toys, etc. 18650s or 14500s lithium ion just are not ready for the mass consumer, they're too dangerous unless properly managed solely by a device specifically designed for them and not easily replaceable (such as in a laptop battery).

Proprietary lithium ion batteries (not easily replaceable) have to be pretty common. They're used in all your other gadgets, like smart phones, tablets, mp3 players, cameras, etc. But I wouldn't consider them in the same category as flashlight batteries, because they're designed for a specific product and controlled by that product, which reduces their danger.