Zebralight SC52d L2 - Philips LUXEON T

jak

Enlightened
Supposedly, by the end of the month we can expect a daylight white version of the SC52 (Philips LUXEON T).

Max output of 205 lumens with 1 minute burst @ 300. Not a lot, but enough for me to want one.

sc52d-01.gif

(Hopefully we'll see a "max 475Lm (1min) with 14500" added in the notes section or something.)

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Hopefully we'll see a "max 475Lm (1min) with 14500" added in the notes section or something.)

That would mean overdriving the LED past the max. 300 Lumen at 1A. Not sure if anyone has pumped more than that through a Luxeon T yet.

jak

Enlightened
That would mean overdriving the LED past the max. 300 Lumen at 1A. Not sure if anyone has pumped more than that through a Luxeon T yet.
"...or something" - I'd be happy with 300 or so.
(I just copy and pasted that text from the SC52w, but I'm gonna edit it so my point is more clear, which is, a boost above 205 would be nice.)

markr6

Flashaholic
$64

LED: Philips LUXEON T Neutral White (Typical CRI 85, Nominal CCT 5000K)

Light Output (runtimes)
High: H1 205 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 126 Lm (1.7 hrs) / 79 Lm (3 hrs)
Medium: M1 39 Lm (7.5 hrs) or M2 19 Lm (12 hrs) / 10 Lm (27 hrs)
Low: L1 2.1 Lm (4 days) or L2 0.26 Lm (3 weeks) / 0.04 Lm (2 months) / 0.01 Lm (3 months)
Beacon Strobe Mode: 4Hz Strobe at H1 / 19Hz Strobe at H1

My SC62d has a decent output, but still borderline weak IMO. SC52d definitely not for me at 205, and not even 1hr! Besides, I got lucky with a GREAT tint on my SC52w.

Last edited:

rickyro

Enlightened
I expect this after I got my SC62d.

XM-L2 really sucks for the bad tints. CW is horribly green. NW is better for indoor use, but still quite strong yellowish.

Luxeon T is a little greenish compared with Nichia 219B, which is a little rosy. But both are much better than XM-L2.

XP-G is also is quite pure white, though a little bit purplish. Much better than XM-L2.

I think XM-L2 should be discarded for flashlight use.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice to have variety, but when it comes to tint I'm okay with the SC52w-L2 and it's a lot brighter. When I really want great tint, I go for the Nichia 219A LED. The Luxeon doesn't seem quite as good on tint specs, and it's a bit too cool for my tastes. Probably good for those who like cool white, but also want high CRI.

rickyro

Enlightened
Nice to have variety, but when it comes to tint I'm okay with the SC52w-L2 and it's a lot brighter. When I really want great tint, I go for the Nichia 219A LED. The Luxeon doesn't seem quite as good on tint specs, and it's a bit too cool for my tastes. Probably good for those who like cool white, but also want high CRI.

then you have SC62c, with 4000k Luxeon T, which should be much warmer. But I don't have this yet and cannot check the performance by person.

For indoor bedside use, Nichia 219B is just so nice and perfect for me. I have it on HDS Rotary, Peak Eiger, and Prometheus Beta QA, all are very nice.

markr6

Flashaholic
For indoor bedside use, Nichia 219B is just so nice and perfect for me. I have it on HDS Rotary, Peak Eiger, and Prometheus Beta QA, all are very nice.

It really is perfect. I tent to like the warmer 219A a little better though. 219A SW45 B11 on my D25LC2 = perfection!

markr6

Flashaholic
Wow another battery killer! IMO go with the SC62d, or any other flavor of the SC52. That's just my opinion, since I would probably be too tempted to run this on H1 all the time to try and make up for lower output vs CRI, killing the battery in no time at all.

jak

Enlightened
Wow another battery killer! IMO go with the SC62d, or any other flavor of the SC52. That's just my opinion, since I would probably be too tempted to run this on H1 all the time to try and make up for lower output vs CRI, killing the battery in no time at all.
What lumen level do you currently run your SC52 on the most?

markr6

Flashaholic
What lumen level do you currently run your SC52 on the most?

Moonlight mode very often since it is my "nightstand" light. Other times usually on M1 (50lm) or H2 (172lm). I usually double click just to make sure it's not in H1. But the 280 or 500 is nice to have for a short amount of time. As much as I want it to, the SC52d wouldn't cut it <~~ and that's coming from a tint snob :)

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not really, at least not as bad as the regular XM-L2 SC52's. Only need 2.86V @1A with the Luxeon T, so with a 750mA 14500, that's only 1.3C in direct drive. I think the ZL 14500 is at the least 2C continuous.

markr6

Flashaholic
Not really, at least not as bad as the regular XM-L2 SC52's. Only need 2.86V @1A with the Luxeon T, so with a 750mA 14500, that's only 1.3C in direct drive. I think the ZL 14500 is at the least 2C continuous.

I was basically arguing the SC52d vs SC62d on runtimes alone, not battery type. Looking at that:

SC52d: 205 Lm (0.9 hrs)
SC62d: 320
Lm (3 hr)

Even on the SC62d, I find myself wanting more output, but it's OK 90% of the time. However, the 205lm for not even 1 hour is not enough for me. I know it depends on your own uses, but I would certainly be using this 205lm often, thus going thru batteries/recharging much too often.

Regarding the standard SC52 (but I use the SC52w), 184 Lm (1.7 hrs) is pretty good. I guess "Blast" or "Turbo" modes aside, <1hr runtimes scare me.

Last edited:

oeL

Newly Enlightened
The Luxeon T fits much better to a small 14500 light than the XM-L2. And for a 18650 flashlight the XM-L2 (NW for me) is a good choice. In my eyes SC52d and SC62w are both well-balanced; SC52 and SC62d do not "fit".

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, the 205lm for not even 1 hour is not enough for me. I know it depends on your own uses, but I would certainly be using this 205lm often, thus going thru batteries/recharging much too often.

A bunch of spare AA Eneloops isn't really a big deal, as long as you're using the light around home. Recharging AA's is safe, so is something you can do during the day while you're away. 1 hour run times on max output isn't a big deal IMO for a light I use around the home, which is where I use my SC52's. For walks, I use something bigger than a 1xAA light, mainly for extra run time but also because it's easier to hold.

During evenings around the house, I often burn through a battery in at least one of my SC52's. Easy enough to pop in a new one.

markr6

Flashaholic
A bunch of spare AA Eneloops isn't really a big deal, as long as you're using the light around home. Recharging AA's is safe, so is something you can do during the day while you're away. 1 hour run times on max output isn't a big deal IMO for a light I use around the home, which is where I use my SC52's. For walks, I use something bigger than a 1xAA light, mainly for extra run time but also because it's easier to hold.

During evenings around the house, I often burn through a battery in at least one of my SC52's. Easy enough to pop in a new one.

That's basically when I use my SC52w and 52w...small plumbing/electrical projects, and even used it last night to read since I didn't have any decent lighting in the family room lying on the couch.

For everything else, I need the runtime without a bunch of batteries. Backpacking is a perfect use for the 600. Even after days, I sometimes come home and find it around 75% (3400mAh cell). It's nice to have the 1020lm at night too if you need to explore an unknown area. The H52w definitely struggles here.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's nice to have the 1020lm at night too if you need to explore an unknown area. The H52w definitely struggles here.

The 52's are really poor throwers. Not much good for outdoor use beyond maybe 10-15 metres, IMO. But they do make great indoor lights, and are easy to tail-stand.