4Seven MMU-X3

yz kid 69

Newly Enlightened
Hello all!

Let me first say this is my first post. I am new to the flashlight world but have been lurking here for the past few weeks trying to gain knowledge and figure out what flashlight I want on my police duty belt. As you can tell from the title I have basically narrowed down my search to the MMU-X3. I chose this because it seems like the most lumen I can get in this size. The size of the MMU-X3 is the biggest I want my light to be, If anyone knows any other light that is the same size or smaller with more Lumen, PLEASE SHARE. :twothumbs

On another note I will be using this light for camping/backpacking trips.

My main reason I am making this thread is because this light has almost been out a full year, is there any known plans of a newer/updated model of this light coming out in the near future? I don't want to be outdated the first few months I get it. :D

Thanks again and I look forward to a new hobby and contributing to your amazing forum

-YZ

yz kid 69

Newly Enlightened
I saw people talking about him modding them. This would be my first non cheapo flashlight. Would you still recommend a "custom" for me. Thanks

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind a modded Vinh light gets hot very fast. If you plan on using high for a period of time, then get a stock version. The MMU-X3 is not a thower light. I have the Vinh modded MMU-X3, and it is nice, but limited high runtime.
I saw people talking about him modding them. This would be my first non cheapo flashlight. Would you still recommend a "custom" for me. Thanks

yz kid 69

Newly Enlightened
Ahh I see. Thank you for explaining that. Then maybe a stock one will suit my needs better since it is going on my duty belt. Thank you.

Has as anyone heard anything from fourseven about them making a newer/upgraded model of this light?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Foursevens is not likely to update their lights annually, save emitter upgrades which tend to be immaterial changes. That said, if I read your post, and others, correctly, you seem to be wanting to use this specialty light as a general purpose flashlight and may be overly concerned with power/high output. I saw your current? light is NEBO 220 lm - I was gifted one of those lights and I test it's max output to be ~50 lms (47s scale), so your lumen perspective may be a bit off ;).

As a camper/backpacker myself, here's the problem with the MMU-X3: a 200 low is way too much - maybe it's ok to "ceiling bounce" off the tree canopy, but you'll blind yourself silly trying to do all the camping close task work otherwise. It's way too big/heavy to use with a headband, can't clip it to a baseball cap, hold it in your mouth, and it will occupy a full hand/arm when you need to use it. Sure you'll be able to see REALLY well within its beam, but your eyes will stop down to the brightness making anything outside the beam appear pitch black. To me, the loss of night vision using a bight flashlight is like listening to loud music with headphones on - sure the clarity and fidelity of the music can be great, but your peripheral vision is gone and anything can sneak up behind you, and you'll be oblivious.

The high output low will also burn that HUGE battery fast too - 11 hrs max runtime means it's not good enough for 3 nights, you have to take a spare, and actually a 3rd just in case. For perspective, I use 0.3/3 lms 98% of time camping, and my whole flashlight/lantern/headlamp rig for a week, is smaller/lighter than one of those 26650 batteries, and my max (which I only need for seconds at a time) will appear about half as bright.

Much of the same can said for police work too... need to check an ID? do some paper work in your car? simply light your path walking without killing your night vision? find your way though some darkness without announcing your presence to the world? then get a smaller light with good lows too. I'd recommend a Quark QP2L-X or QT2L-X Burst Mode which has ~800 lumen max but with excellent low modes great for camping. The Pro UIs have a unique Momentary Max from ON capability that is my favorite for bumps in the dark, but I suppose it's not a true tactical UI.

Good luck.

yz kid 69

Newly Enlightened
GREAT ADVICE! Thank you for taking the time to write all of that out. This whole time I am thinking my 220lm light is putting out 50lm!! don't I feel dumb:oops:

But the points you make about 200lm being too high do make a lot of sense. I will keep looking around and do more research before I pull the trigger on anything.
I am so used to the American way of thinking, If a lot is good, more must be better:twothumbs

-YZ