L4 optics question

kaseri

Enlightened
I am wondering if it's possible to replace the stock Surefire L4 reflector with something that will focus the beam into a tighter pattern. If this is possible would any "modders" be willing to perform the operation on my L4?

ufokillerz

Enlightened
the Reflector in the L4 is as good as it'll get considering the size of the bezel. NO optic avaiable that is of that size will give you a tighter pattern. If you want a tight pattern, mod the L4 with a 1 or 3watt luxeon, the pattern will be a lot tighter.

kaseri

Enlightened
I'd like the light to be extremely bright as well as tightly focused. Would an x-bin 3 watt Luxeon do it? Is that type of 3 watt Luxeon even available ?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yea, an x-bin luxeon3 would do it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

unfortunately the x is a 5w bin code, and even those are hard to come by... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

kaseri

Enlightened
So what bin code would give me the results that I am looking for in a luxeon3 ? Even if it's a bit of work to locate I'm willing to give it a go.

ufokillerz

Enlightened
the best 3 watter at the moment is the T bin. probably a *twak* get a downboy 1000 or 917 and its a seriously bright and tight spotted KL4 head.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
kaseri,
What are you looking for? Something small? Something for indoor use or outdoor use?

I've done plenty of KL4 mods. The innovator of the KL4 mod is, as far as I know, McGizmo and I'm sure that he's done more than I have. All of these mods have revolved around replacing the 5W with a 1W or 3W luxeon. This gives you less overall light, but also gives you a more tightly focused beam that affords much more throw with a good sidespill.

I've considered putting an optic into a KL4, but I don't think it's practical. If you want to go with an optic, mod a KL1,2, or 3. Putting an optic into a KL4 will result in a lot of lost mass. This will result in heat problems.

If you want something that will put out a lot of light and have throw, you'll need something that will accomodate a 5W luxeon AND and a big reflector or optic. You can't get this in a small light. The McLux PR head will give you some throw with a 5W, more than a KL4, but will fall far short of that of a 3W. If size is not a concern, I'd mod a M@g light. Something along the lines of a Space Needle.

If you want something small, then you'll have to choose what you want. If you want the greatest amount of light then you'll have to live with the stock setup and the flood beam. If you want throw, you'll have to sacrifice some output. I usually use my lights outdoors, so throw is what I need. Personally, I'll never go back to a 5W KL4.

A KL4 modded with a 3W running at about 1A is a bright light for what it is. That is, of course, a small, pocketable light. It will outperform most small lights but won't hold a candle to lights with a bigger reflector.

If you could be very specific about what you want, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

kaseri

Enlightened
After thinking about what I actually wanted out of my L4 I have decided to just leave it as is. I wanted to use it as personal saftey device. I've decided to get a G2 with a P61 LA. That should work nicely.

bhds

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
A KL4 modded with a 3W running at about 1A is a bright light for what it is. That is, of course, a small, pocketable light. It will outperform most small lights but won't hold a candle to lights with a bigger reflector.

[/ QUOTE ]
How does the 3 watt mod compare to some typical incandescents? I have a G2, e2, A2 Does it come close?

Thanks,
bhds

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bhds said:
How does the 3 watt mod compare to some typical incandescents? I have a G2, e2, A2 Does it come close?

Thanks,
bhds

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a PR-917 that McGizmo built and it will throw as well as any of the lights that you mentioned, but beware that the hotspot is considerably smaller. All the incandescents that you mentioned probably have higher lumen ratings for total output than the 917.

Kiu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kaseri said:
After thinking about what I actually wanted out of my L4 I have decided to just leave it as is. I wanted to use it as personal saftey device. I've decided to get a G2 with a P61 LA. That should work nicely.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really want a gd throw and as personal saftey device, i think u should consider the incandescent. PM6, TL2 & TL-3 either one will give u a gd throw. I dont think P61 will throw much more than P60 and it just 20 mins runtime.
Anyone knows will the Fraen LP throw further than the stock reflector of KL4? i want to know this as i dont have a Fraen LP.