1972 Tung-sol seal beam 7 inch headlights

chimogeo

Newly Enlightened
Going through my garage, I found these headlights which I believe I removed from a new 1972 Fiat 124 Sport Spider, and replaced them with Lucas Lights.
First I wonder if it is a simple matter of connecting a 12 Volt battery to them to test them. I've seen Positive and negative connection diagrams.
Second, if they are good, would they be of interest to a 124 owner seeking to make a show car all-original equipment. However I am uncertain these are original equipment.
Saw a post somewhere for a 1972 Datsun 240Z needing highlights - probably fits.

Any thoughts?
ChimoGeo

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Welcome to the board. With the headlamp upright and facing away from you, the three prongs on the back are as follows:

Left (upright): Common ground
Top/middle (horizontal): Low beam
Right (upright): High beam

So, connect one wire of your 12v battery to the left upright terminal, then touch the other wire to first the top/middle horizontal terminal and then to the right upright terminal, and you'll be able to see if both the low and high beam filaments work in the headlamp.

From what I have seen, there's not a big market (that is, people won't pay much money) for old sealed beams, even in virtually new condition...of course, unless you happen to find the right buyer, someone who has to have those exact headlamps for a high-dollar restoration.

7" round headlamps such as yours (probably #6014 units, it'll be stamped on the back) fit an enormous variety of vehicles.

chimogeo

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the board. With the headlamp upright and facing away from you, the three prongs on the back are as follows:

Left (upright): Common ground
Top/middle (horizontal): Low beam
Right (upright): High beam

So, connect one wire of your 12v battery to the left upright terminal, then touch the other wire to first the top/middle horizontal terminal and then to the right upright terminal, and you'll be able to see if both the low and high beam filaments work in the headlamp.

From what I have seen, there's not a big market (that is, people won't pay much money) for old sealed beams, even in virtually new condition...of course, unless you happen to find the right buyer, someone who has to have those exact headlamps for a high-dollar restoration.

7" round headlamps such as yours (probably #6014 units, it'll be stamped on the back) fit an enormous variety of vehicles.