DealExtreme        
Page 147 of 161 FirstFirst ... 4797137140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154157 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,410 of 4819

Thread: SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Enlightened

Default Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

I didn't check what DEX said about the average voltage.
    But when I assume that current is constant and the energy calculation is correct then the average voltage should be Energy divided by Capacity
    In my case: Calculated avg. voltage = 2546 mWh / 2069 mAh = 1.23 V
    These are the data showing on the display (of the MC3000) - except the avg. Voltage which says 1.303 V

I checked now Dex. It does not show any average voltage.

Here you can see the voltage in DEX
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaslmyoixj...aline.png?dl=0
    and you can see clearly that the average voltage can never be 1.30 V

Except - and here I bring the word data for the time in play - the average is counted for the first 2^16 seconds only.
    This would be clearly a bug.

And here the DEX data:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pe7wr4m0on...01-27.osd?dl=0

@Kreisl:
    Could you calculate the average voltage for the first 65536 seconds? And report it as bug if you get 1.30 V?

By the way: the Alkaline was an old 'new' cell (Duracell Plus 'Best before: March 2014'). I was very curious how much I could still drain from the cell.
    At the same time I also drained two Varta Energy (12-2021) to compare data. These delivered 2850 & 2950 mAh.

Quote Originally Posted by DT123 View Post
    I didn't check what DEX said about the average voltage.
    But when I assume that current is constant and the energy calculation is correct then the average voltage should be Energy divided by Capacity
    In my case: Calculated avg. voltage = 2546 mWh / 2069 mAh = 1.23 V
    These are the data showing on the display (of the MC3000) - except the avg. Voltage which says 1.303 V
    we will talk about the calculation of Average Voltage in another post.

in this post, i wanna talk about your shared osd file. It is a wild osd file containing several/different LiIon test runs?
    When i opened it, i am getting this view for example for the very last entry "Sony Cliι":
    DEX screenshot

Do you recognize the file? In any case, i am not able to reproduce your shared pic of the Alkaline. I don't see any Alkaline test run in your shared osd. Please could you check again the files on your HDD? Maybe you have overwritten the wrong file/file name or shared the wrong upload link or something?

Yes if i can confirm that there is something imo wrong with the calculation, i will of course have it fixed.

Please try again: Share the test run data of your Alkaline battery either in osd or csv or xlsx format TIA.
    EDIT: got it. my bad. i have downloaded the correct file now, thanks. now checking it............
    Last edited by kreisl; 01-29-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Enlightened

I don't have any Sony. These data are not from me.
    The file you download from dropbox has the name: AA - Alkaline - 001 - 2017-01-27.osd
    Your screenshot shows "del.osd"
    Please try to download again!
    Last edited by DT123; 01-29-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Enlightened

Tiny side note:
    NiMH charging - the average voltage is also not the programmed one, but slightly less, because the MC3000 stops charging, every 20 seconds or so for a period of 1.5 to 2 seconds to check the cell voltage while not under charge. Dex will report this in "average current" at approximately 95% of programmed current.

I don't have any Sony. These data are not from me.
    The file you download from dropbox has the name: AA - Alkaline - 001 - 2017-01-27.osd
    Your screenshot shows "del.osd"
    Please try to download again!
    Okay got it. I have your file correct.

But before you/we continue, i need to tell you that your DEX has the 'wrong' configuration for exporting data - as it seems.

This is your dex config afaik before exporting to excel:
    https://abload.de/img/del1ujsg8.png

This is the only correct dex config before exporting to excel:
    https://abload.de/img/del2q9svo.png

Do you see the differences? Or maybe i am wrong and it is only on my local dex config hh.
    Anyway, the point is that your dex must be configured in such a way that all columns in the table have highest resolution, meaning voltage, current should be displayed with 3 decimals. power and energy with 3 decimals. capacity with 1 decimal. Etc. Only then should the data be exported to csv.

So. I am NOT sure if you have used dee correct csv data set to start your calculations. Clearly, the csv file is very different if you have different decimal settings in the dex table!!

Sorry for questioning your csv file but my concerns are warranted and valid.

Enlightened

I never exported to Excel. I sent the raw data (osd)

Edit:
    But I think I get what you meant. Voltage has only 2 digits and the Energy seems to be mWh in my chart

I think that these were the standard settings :-(
    And whether or not - where do I change it?

Edit 2:
    In the table on my computers the temperatures are shown with factor 10 (217°C, 220.0°C)
    Very, very strange.

Edit 3:
    I changed language en -> de and then back to english. Now at least the shown temperature is correct.
    Last edited by DT123; 01-29-2017 at 12:57 PM.

I never exported to Excel. I sent the raw data (osd)

Edit:
    But I think I get what you meant. Voltage has only 2 digits and the Energy seems to be mWh in my chart

Yeah you sent me osd. But how did you do your calculations then? You can only check the validity of mc3k-produced mAh, Wh, and Average Voltage values, if you export the data (correctly, of course) to excel, and then do the excel column operations in excel.

Yeah one should change the standard settings before doing any check-calculations ;=)

How to change: Switch your tab to the Graphic tab. Then find your physical quantity on the left-hand. Right-click on it. Then in the context menu you can set the decimals.

Enlightened

The fastest way I found to change the default reporting for precision and # of digits.
    * Run Dex - fresh/new (close then open program)
    * Begin a discharge or charge program on all four slots
    * You don't need to run the program very long, just a minute or so - until Dex has received numerical values from MC3000 for each parameter (Voltage, mAh, Energy, etc.)
    * Stop the gathering - (and thus stop all 4 programs)
    * Underneath the words (on the left column) Curve selector...
    * Right click on each of the colored values "Voltage", "Current" etc.
    * In the menu that shows up - go to the "Axis number format" entry - a menu pops up to the right.
    * Choose the correct format for that value - example Voltage will never be a two digit number to the left of the decimal point - so choose format 0.000 for voltage. Capacity will easily have 3 numbers to the left of decimal so choose 000.0.
    * Choose menu "Graphic Templates" - then choose "Save default graphics template"
    * this saves 1 file into the MC3000 program directory, which includes settings for this slot #
    * chose one of the other 3 slots in slot dropdown menu.
    * choose "Graphic Templates" - then choose "Load graphics template" - choose the .XML file you saved, with settings, for the first defaults you saved.
    * this loads the defaults you edited for this new slot.
    * Choose menu "Graphic Templates" - then choose "Save default graphics template" - which saves a file (copy of settings) for this slot # also
    * Once all 4 slots have the correct number formats for all values...

- these 4 slot settings files are loaded each time you start DEX and each time a new group of results is generated for each slot (eg: charging, resting, discharging) - so the format is used for all new runs of DEX* Now choose another of the 4 slots - repeat this procedure for each of the 4 slots (there is a shorter way but complex to describe)
    Last edited by Benediction; 01-29-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Enlightened

Thanks - at least the data was saved with max digits.
    I was already afraid that I can forget all data I collected till now.

Voltage settings are fine now - but how do I persuade DEX to calculate/show the correct energy. Instead of 0.320 Wh it shows still 320.000 Wh

Quote Originally Posted by kreisl View Post
    But how did you do your calculations then? You can only check the validity of mc3k-produced mAh, Wh, and Average Voltage values,
    if you export the data (correctly, of course) to excel, and then do the excel column operations in excel.

Under the assumption that MC3000 is calculating the energy correct I know that the average voltage which MC3000 is showing is wrong.
    Average Voltage (for fix current) has to be Energy / Capacity.
    Last edited by DT123; 01-29-2017 at 01:23 PM.

Under the assumption that MC3000 is calculating the energy correct I know that the average voltage which MC3000 is showing is wrong.
    Average Voltage (for fix current) has to be Energy / Capacity.
    yeah MC3000 calculates energy 100% correctly.

yay the device does not send Average Voltage to dex or pcls since it is not part of the interface description.

yes, seems like your quick-check calculation method for calculating Average Voltage isn't completely bad in theory yet the correct value is numerically calculated in a more straight-forward manner in practice. towards the end your method gives the same result, however at the beginning your method fails or gives wrong results, please realize or never mind. using the data set given by you, the corresponding excel sheet with MyCalculations(1Hz) looks like dis:

yea the Average Voltage after 41.39hr should be 1.2305…V (number truncated after the 4th decimal), you are right.

if you're wondering how the MyCalculations(1Hz) are implemented in Excel2010, here we go in animated GIF (5 frames, 10s/frame; enough time to screenshot it hh):

i have uploaded the xlsx file, if you want to study it in detail:
    ExcelCalcTrans.rar (download link expires after 30 days)

you're saying that the bug only manifests itself if a discharge (or charge) routine takes longer than 18h? oic. yoh i will list and report the bug but no promises as to when or if they will etc.

another awesome post brought by de squirrel

Enlightened

The 65536 seconds was a guess when I was looking on the graphs.
    When I examined the excel sheet it proofed me wrong.

But check line #86403. That's the moment when the MC3000 stopped to calculate the average voltage.
    I am pretty sure now that it stopped after 24 hours.

Version 3.2.9 of Data Explorer appears to break the MC3000 logging function.
    64bit version, Windows 10.
    I uninstalled and rolled back to 3.2.8 and it works again. Upgraded to 3.2.9 again, broken again. Uninstalled and rolled back to 3.2.8 again, and it's back to working again.
    Anyone else having issues with 3.2.9?
    Mag: 4D LED, Fenix: LD20, TK35, TK70, 47s: Preon 2, Quark Mini AA, ReVO SS, ZL SC600Fd Mk III+, SC5Fd Hi CRI, Sunwayman D40A, Nitecore EC4S, TIP 360, Klarus XT12GT, Lumintop Cu Tool, Ti Tool; UTorch UT01, UT02
    Maha: MH-C808M, MH-C9000, iCharger 206B, SkyRC MC3000, XTAR VP2, Litokala Lii 100

Quote Originally Posted by samgab View Post
    Version 3.2.9 of Data Explorer appears to break the MC3000 logging function.
    64bit version, Windows 10.
    I uninstalled and rolled back to 3.2.8 and it works again. Upgraded to 3.2.9 again, broken again. Uninstalled and rolled back to 3.2.8 again, and it's back to working again.
    Anyone else having issues with 3.2.9?
    My dex test system today be Win7 Prof 64-bit Engrish. I heard that dex is getting a major new function (in 3.2.9? in 3.3.0?), a big portion of the 3.2.8 code has been altered since but i didn't test the 3.2.9 betas because i can work with 3.2.8 without running into unexpected dex behavior, don't fix a running system and actually i am a bit supplies to read that 3.2.9 has bug fixes for MC3000 support. Maybe the released 3.2.9 version is still in beta? Anywho.

I uninstalled my working 3.2.8 32-bit, downloaded and installed the very latest Java 64-bit & dex 64-bit. When pressing the Start gathering-button, dex throws the 'Missing serial port configuration yadda' error window. So i uninstalled Java 64-bit & dex 64-bit.
    Then i downloaded and installed the very latest Java 32-bit & dex 32-bit. Same error. Game over. So i uninstalled dex 32-bit.
    Then i installed dex 3.2.8 32-bit, my fave! And when pressing the Start gathering-button, the slots get started by dex and every ting proceeds as it should hooray.

Looking at all dis, i must come to the conclusion that the culprit is the published 3.2.9 either bit version (EDIT: actually i am wrong hh, there is a trouble shooting for making new DEX versions work, my bad was the incomplete uninstallation of the previous DEX version, i'll talk about the details in another post) and i'll stick with my fave for now. Whoever wants to roll back to 3.2.8 too, grab the setup.exe ASAP before it's taken down from the servee:
    http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/dataexplorer/
    Last edited by kreisl; 01-31-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: C:\Users\krisell\AppData\Roaming\DataExplorer\*.*

Update: as mentioned above, I was able to get 3.2.9 working by uninstalling 3.2.8 and then manually deleting the data explorer folder in appdata/roaming. Actually I changed it to BACKUP_dataexplorer, and I'm glad I did that and didn't actually delete it.
    After getting rid of that folder and installing 3.2.9 again it worked, HOWEVER... It no longer controls the MC3000. I mean when you click start gathering, it just sits there saying "waiting for data" instead of starting the programs on the MC3000. You have to then manually start the programs on the MC3000 using the buttons, after which it then does gather the data.
    So, I uninstalled 3.2.9 again, deleted the new dataexplorer folder, removed the "BACKUP_" from the old dataexplorer folder, and reinstalled 3.2.8 again, and now everything is working again.
    The reason I was so keen to do the upgrade is because I really want it to stop that behaviour where it starts hundreds of new data lines after a program finishes for some unknown reason.
    Mag: 4D LED, Fenix: LD20, TK35, TK70, 47s: Preon 2, Quark Mini AA, ReVO SS, ZL SC600Fd Mk III+, SC5Fd Hi CRI, Sunwayman D40A, Nitecore EC4S, TIP 360, Klarus XT12GT, Lumintop Cu Tool, Ti Tool; UTorch UT01, UT02
    Maha: MH-C808M, MH-C9000, iCharger 206B, SkyRC MC3000, XTAR VP2, Litokala Lii 100

HOWEVER... It no longer controls the MC3000. I mean when you click start gathering, it just sits there saying "waiting for data" instead of starting the programs on the MC3000. You have to then manually start the programs on the MC3000 using the buttons, after which it then does gather the data.
    DataExplorer 3.2.9 released

Item posted on Sat 28 Jan 2017 02:37:28 PM UTC.

+++++ important update Java Runtime Version prerequisite to 1.8 +++++
    +++++ important update Java 32 Bit -Xmx1280m, 64 Bit -Xmx3096m +++++
    1. fix early rounding while importing CSV data
    2. fix CSV import capability using relative time stamp
    3. fix table window flickering while continuous adding entries
    4. add Raspbian 32 ARM support as downloadable tar.gz
    5. add history analysis as beta support (need to be enabled in preferences)
    (…)
    10. MC3000 SkyRC
    - switch to continuous data gathering for all slots by selecting MC3000-Set
    - remove automatic program start/stop, form now gathering rely on manual start/stop of processing
    - fix continuous record to gather pausing data
    - fix missing end of processing and create each second a new record set
    11. Q200 SkyRC 4 channel charger
    - support up to 4 individual batteries added by Q200
    - support for a set up to 4 batteries added by Q200-Set
    Yeah good catch. I didn't realize until i reread the release notes.

Also correct, the 'Missing serial port configuration yadda'-error won't appear if one uninstalls the previous DEX version completely, i.e. after the official uninstallation routine by also manually deleting the left-over folder %APPDATA%\DataExplorer\Devices\

for example under Win7 deleting
    C:\Users\krisell\AppData\Roaming\DataExplorer\*.* will do the trick

or under WinXP geman deleting
    C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\kirsten\Anwendungsdaten\DataExplorer\*.* will do it

With these hints, users should be able to run DEX3.2.9 without further problems or surprises
    Last edited by kreisl; 01-31-2017 at 02:00 PM.

I don't understand the difference between "MC3000" and "MC3000-set" in Data Explorer? Can anyone enlighten me? I seem to just use either interchangeably, and haven't seen any difference.

Default Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

I would like to ask a question about the MC3000 charger and DataExplore 3.2.9. Specifically operating on a Mac OS 10.12.2 computer.

Am I am the right form area for this kind of questions?

@DT123 ,
    i have started Discharge -0.05A on old Eneloop AA, tracking Average(LCD) manually. I am logging the run with dex too, fingers crossed that there's no power blackout in our street. So i'll leave the PC on during the night np. My test is to show at what point (18h? 24?) the value becomes false, which would be incorrect. note that DEX takes the dexclock start value from the pcclock, obviously; from then on dexclock uses its own clocking speed and does not adopt pcclock timing any longer, which is correct behavior since the pcclock is absurdly inaccurate due to its cr*ppy BIOS/motherboard clocker. therefore we can safely ignore the pcclock through a "N/A" and focus on the clocking difference between nistclock and lcdtotal. also the time difference between lcdtotal and lcdtime should be 0s because there is only 1 charger routine, Discharge:

• nistdate nistclock; dexdate dexclock; pcdate pcclock; lcdtotal; lcdtime; lcdaverage; dexaverage; comment
    • 2017-02-02 12:00:00; 2017-02-02 12:00:03.796; 2017-02-02 N/A; 0d00:00:00; 00:00:00; 1.487V; 1.487V; blah blah
    • 2017-02-02 14:00:00; 2017-02-02 14:00:03.796; 2017-02-02 N/A; 0d02:00:00; 02:00:00; ~1.429V; 1.429V; yadda yadda
    • 2017-02-02 23:00:00; 2017-02-02 23:00:03.796; 2017-02-02 N/A; 0d11:00:05; 11:00:05; ~1.333V; 1.33298V; dexclocking is 100% identical to nistclocking but lcdtotal is 5s ahead by now
    • 2017-02-03 00:00:00; 2017-02-03 00:00:03.796; 2017-02-03 N/A; 0d12:00:05; 12:00:05; ~1.328V; 1.328V; blah
    • 2017-02-03 06:42:09; 2017-02-03 06:42:12.796; 2017-02-03 N/A; 0d18:42:16; 00:30:00; 1.307V; 1.307V; i missed the point again, too early in the morning!
    • 2017-02-03 11:50:00; 2017-02-03 11:50:04.796; 2017-02-03 N/A; 0d23:50:10; 05:37:54; 1.295V; 1.2956V; 1s between nistclock and dexclock
    • 2017-02-03 12:00:00; 2017-02-03 12:00:04.796; 2017-02-03 N/A; 1d00:00:10; 05:47:54; 1.295V; 1.2952V; blah
    • 2017-02-03 18:00:00; 2017-02-03 18:00:05.796; 2017-02-03 N/A; 1d06:00:14; 11:47:58; 1.295V; 1.282V; blah
    • 2017-02-04 00:30:00; 2017-02-04 00:30:05.796; 2017-02-04 N/A; 1d12:30:16; 00:05:44; 1.295V; 1.258V; blah
    • 2017-02-04 01:00:00; 2017-02-04 01:00:05.796; 2017-02-04 N/A; 1d13:00:16; 00:35:44; 1.295V; 1.255V; blah
    • 2017-02-04 02:??:??; 2017-02-04 02:37:16.796; 2017-02-04 N/A; 1d14:37:28; 02:12:56; 1.295V; 1.243V; "1931mAh"/1931.1mAh 2.401Wh

In the above data set i truncated the dexaverage after any number of decimals. The full values can be seen here, it is an extract of the full XLSX-table:

yeah looks like the lcdtime has a limit of 18h12min16s (= 65536s = (2^16)s ) before it resets to 00:00:00, for example:
    1d13:00:16 = (24+13)h00min16s = (24+13)*3600+16 = 133216s = (18+18)h(12+12+35)min(16+16+28)s = (18+18)*3600+(12+12+35)*60+(16+16+44) = 133216s q.e.d.
    and yeah the lcdaverage stops being computed after lcdtotal has reached 24h00min00s (or even before?).

• total PC bios runtime = N/A
    • total nist runtime = ~139031 nist-seconds
    • dextime start = 2017-02-02 12:00:03.796, dextime end = 2017-02-04 02:37:16.796 => dextime difference = (24+14)*3600+37*60+(16-3) = 139033 dex-seconds
    • exceltime = 139033 excel-rows for dextime (perfect!! because it means no missing data row produced by DEX!)
    • total lcd runtime = 1d14h37min28s = (24+14)*3600+37*60+28 = 139048 lcd-seconds.

We're learning that the dexclock is very much identical to nistclock, which is awesome: only ~2s deviation after over 38.5 effing hours!!
    We're learning that lcdtotal and lcdtime are absolutely synchronous, which comes as no surprise.
    We're also learning that lcdtime runs ahead, every slightly so: only ~15s ahead after over 38.5 effing hours!! We can't expect Rolex Quartz inside the charger, can we?
    Capacity, Energy, and Voltage Average are calculated in the charger, naturally by using lcdtotal (or lcdtime) and high frequency sampling. These values are sent verbatim to DEX. In Excel, one can only make quick-check row calculations on the basis of dexclock and at 1Hz frequency. If the (15s/38.5h)-deviation were important AND one had to choose which of the two calculate values were more closer to the truth, the lcdvalue vs. the quick-check calculation value, then the answer would still be debatable. The quick-check calculation uses dextime for calculation, and dextime is much closer to nisttime, and nisttime is the truth. With this argument the quick-check calculation value should be closer to the truth. In practice, the difference between the 2 calculated values is irrelevant because it lies within the tolerance of the specs like 0.1% anyway. In our example:

• lcdcapacity = "1931mAh" (produced by mc3k, i.e. based on lcdtotal and internal high frequency sampling, and truncated before the 1st decimal)
    • dexcapacity = 1931.1mAh (produced by mc3k and sent to PC LINK port, based on lcdtotal and internal high frequency sampling)
    • excelcapacity = 1930.9083333363300000mAh (calculated in Excel through numerical integration, based on dextime and 1Hz frequency)
    • lcdenergy = "2.401Wh" (produced by mc3k, i.e. based on lcdtotal and internal high frequency sampling)
    • dexenergy = 2.401Wh (produced by mc3k and sent to PC LINK port, based on lcdtotal and internal high frequency sampling)
    • excelenergy = 2.40104841041644000000Wh (calculated in Excel through numerical integration, based on dextime and 1Hz frequency)
    • lcdaverage after 24h = "1.295V" (produced by mc3k, i.e. based on lcdtime and internal high frequency sampling)
    • excelaverage after 24 = 1.295259612490900V (calculated in Excel through numerical integration, based on dextime and 1Hz frequency)
    • lcdaverage after 38.5h = "1.295V" (WTF bug, reporting under k#85 and k#86 thanks!!)
    • excelaverage after 38.5h = 1.243497194931090V (calculated in Excel through numerical integration, based on dextime and 1Hz frequency)

Verdict:
    MC3000 has incredibly amazing clocking and calculation accuracy, after 38.5 effing hours for 1 single routine this results in a 0.2mAh difference only lmao. Keep in mind that typically the 'average duration' of your routines will be 5-7 hours per routine, no?
    Last edited by kreisl; 02-04-2017 at 12:32 PM.

I would like to use DataExplorer ver. 3.2.9 app on my Mac OS Sierra (10.12.2).

I have a new SkyRC MC3000 charger running on firmware 1.13.

I am having problem installing the*createDummyUsbDriver.sh*provided at*http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/dataexplorer/.

#!/bin/bash
    # ***** script to create a dummy USB driver to make SkyRC device USB adapter usable with MAC OS X ** 01 Dec 2016 WB *****
    # execution: sudo createDummyUsbDriver.sh
    cp -r SkyRC.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
    cd /System/Library/Extensions
    chown -R root:wheel SkyRC.kext
    chmod -R 755 SkyRC.kext
    kextcache -system-caches
    echo SkyRC USB dummy driver installed please reboot the system before connecting a SKyRC USB device again.

When executing line (4) cp -r SkyRC.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ I get this response "cp: SkyRC.kext: No such file or directory"

Evidently, there is no such file in the Extensions folder. *

How do I get a :SkyRC.kext file into the extension folder to begin with?????*

As far as I can tell, the DataExplorer app is running good other than it can not connect to the MC3000 charger.*

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian*

I don't understand the difference between "MC3000" and "MC3000-set" in Data Explorer? Can anyone enlighten me? I seem to just use either interchangeably, and haven't seen any difference.

• MC3000-Set : DEX saves the entire DEX session in a single *.OSD-file (all test runs, all dex tabs, all mc3k slots). You can open the 'big' osd file on some other day and add more sessions to the same file. advantage: all in one file and automatically and neatly 'organized' as long as you label all test runs neatly. disadvantage: a complex file could confuse the ignorant.
    • MC3000 : DEX saves the selected 1 test run of a selected 1 slot in a single *.OSD-file. advantage: no complexity, no potential for confusion. disadvantage: for 1 test run in 4 slots you already get 4 files; having hundreds of 'small' osd files on the HDD could confuse the PC user omg.

MC3000-Set compares to saving an entire complex Excel file (with lots of spreadsheets, graph sheets, doc sheets) in a single *.XLSX-file.

What are OSD-files or what are they good for? - They are an offline backup of your entire DEX session (see MC3000-Set) or part of a DEX session (see MC3000). Once the osd file is opened, one could resume the DEX session, which makes especially sense for MC3000-Set. The OSD-file contains all data and graphics in compressed internal format and one can export the data (of 1 test run in 1 slot) to *.CSV-format at any time.

OSD-files are great. Everybody should own one. Lol.

Last edited by kreisl; 02-01-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjasmoke View Post
    I am having problem installing the*createDummyUsbDriver.sh*provided at*http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/dataexplorer/.

#!/bin/bash
    # ***** script to create a dummy USB driver to make SkyRC device USB adapter usable with MAC OS X ** 01 Dec 2016 WB *****
    # execution: sudo createDummyUsbDriver.sh

Brian*
    I know nothing about macOS, but a bash script is for linux usually

Do you have a sudo command in MACOS ?
    This is to run a script as root/ superuser

Enlightened

Yes right forum go ahead and ask.

I don't have MacOS but others here do .

@DT123 , i have started Discharge -0.05A on old Eneloop AA, tracking Average(LCD) manually:
    date time Average(LCD) Average(DEX)
    2017-02-01 14:00:00 1.514V tba

I am logging the run with dex too, fingers crossed that there's no power blackout in our street. So i'll leave the PC on during the night np. My test is to show at what point (18h? 24?) the value increases, which would be incorrect.
    The osd data of the two other alkaline cells which I depleted tell me that the MC3000 average voltage is the average voltage within the first 24 hours only. Then it stops.
    You should check the data on MC3000 display several times after 24 hours. The data shouldn't change anymore.

• MC3000-Set : DEX saves the entire DEX session in a single *.OSD-file (all test runs, all dex tabs, all mc3k slots). You can open the DEX file on some other day and add more sessions to the same file. advantage: all in one file and automatically and neatly 'organized' as long as you label all test runs neatly. disadvantage: a complex file could confuse the ignorant.
    • MC3000 : DEX saves the 1 test run and 1 slot in a single *.OSD-file. advantage: no complexity, no potential for confusion. disadvantage: for 1 test run in 4 slots you already get 4 files. having hundreds of files on the HDD could confuse the PC user.

MC3000-Set compares to saving an entire complex Excel file (with lots of spreadsheets, graph sheets, doc sheets) in a single *.XLSX-file.

What are OSD-files or what are they good for? - They are an offline backup of your DEX session or part of the DEX session. Once opened, one could resume the DEX session, which makes especially sense for MC3000-Set. The OSD-file contains all data and graphics in compressed format and one can export the data (of 1 test run in 1 slot) to *.CSV-format at any time.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Now I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravel View Post
    I run a MC3000,
    I could not make DEX run under raspberry pi model 1 B (although I went quite far in compiling it)
    So I opened a thread with DEX :
    sr #109066: cannot run under raspberry pi model 1 B. No java/ext directory ?

here http://savannah.nongnu.org/support/index.php?109066
    Debussy i heard that the DEX maker runs DEX on Raspi which is, of course, directly connected to MC3000 thru USB cable. DEX is installed on his Raspi, a 2W electrical consumer or whatnot. Yes one needs to install the Linux Version of DEX on the Raspi. He says that DEX recording the mc3k data on the Raspi works perfectly without a glitch, just the graphing of the data is ruckelig because of the small processing power of Raspis! ( i have no Linux no Raspi so i cannot give first-hand advice or support suis desolee )

Does everyone know what a Raspberry Pi is? Correct me if i am wrong. From what i know it is a credit card sized computer, super inexpensive, and comes with a pre-installed Linux-based OS. It has USB (input/output) ports and other ports like PC monitor. Obviously, during data recording, one can disconnect or turn off the monitor to save mains power. The funny thing is that MC3000 has a USB power output port, so you power the Raspi through it! Must be really cool.

With the availability of DEX (for Linux&Raspi) and of Raspi hardware i don't see the urgent need anymore to implement a SD card reader/writer in a dreamcharger! SD card formats change every year seems like and it would be impossible(?) to agree on "how" the multi-bay dreamcharger should write the data on the sdcard, which format, which test run, which slot, which data, which automatic title, which file name, etc.

Sure, dealing with SDcards may(!) be more convenient, those cards are more common than Raspis. But .. i don't own any SD cards reader for my PC, so that's that!

I don't know how difficult, for a newbie like me, it is to learn where to buy a Raspi, how to install the Linux-version of DEX on it, and get the mc3k-DEX connection working. It would be great if there were a tutorial or a demo video or similar, created by an end user. The point is, it is possible to log all the data without your PC/laptop being connected and running at the same time. You can't do the "offline" logging with SD cards but you'd do it with something more powerful and flexible: with a Raspi powered thru the USB output of the mc3k itself, how cool is that?

It is a cost-effective and cool solution imho.

In theory one could think of an even more elegant solution, what about USB thumb flash drives instead of SD cards? Thumb drives are robuster than SD cards, they're EDC keychain items and perfect for carrying such data. Also, no SD card reader needed for the PC, since every PC can readily accept USB thumb drives without an adapter. (Well, not true, the very latest Apple laptop has only 1 USB-C socket iirc lol.)

Never mind.

No need to hope for a future dreamcharger with SD card slot or USB flash drive slot.

The future has arrived yet. Thanks to Raspi hardware AND dex Linux version.
    Last edited by kreisl; 02-01-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Smile

Debussy i heard that the DEX maker runs DEX on Raspi which is, of course, directly connected to MC3000 thru USB cable.
    ( i have no Linux no Raspi so i cannot give first-hand advice or support suis desolee )

The future has arrived yet. Thanks to Raspi hardware AND dex Linux version.
    I saw that 2 days ago
    I will try soon

>>and comes with a pre-installed Linux-based OS.
    can be bought with nothing pre-installed as well

>>one can disconnect or turn off the monitor to save mains power. The funny thing is that >>MC3000 has a USB power output port, so you power the Raspi through it! Must be really cool.
    Yes
    You can be fully headless with ssh over ethernet

>>With the availability of DEX (for Linux&Raspi) and of Raspi hardware i don't see the urgent >>need anymore to implement a SD card reader/writer in a dreamcharger!
    Agreed.
    Rasberry Pi V3 works with microSD

>>Raspis. But .. i don't own any SD cards reader for my PC, so that's that!
    How about microSD ?
    ANyhow you can retrieve data over ssh over a cat5 cable

>>I don't know how difficult, for a newbie like me, it is to learn where to buy a Raspi,
    Buying dead easy

>>how to install the Linux-version of DEX on it, and get the mc3k-DEX connection working. It
    There are lots of tutorial on raspberry but learning linux is a steep learning curve.
    Following tutorials can be done with near no knowledge, but will make you want to learn

>>would be great if there were a tutorial or a demo video or similar, created by an end user.
    I cannot promise much, we will see

>>The point is, it is possible to log all the data without your PC/laptop being connected and >>running at the same time.
    IMHO yes

>>You can't do the "offline" logging with SD cards
    Network ?
    With a 64 Gb SD card this would be lots of logging !
    You can even automate copy from the SD card to a USB pen drive on the raspi itself

>>with a Raspi powered thru the USB output of the mc3k itself, how cool is that?
    >>It is a cost-effective and cool solution imho.
    Well it was my idea first, was it not ?

>>In theory one could think of an even more elegant solution, what about USB thumb flash
    4 usb ports on raspi

>>No need to hope for a future dreamcharger with SD card slot or USB flash drive slot.
    >>The future has arrived yet. Thanks to Raspi hardware AND dex Linux version
    I am so gratefull to the DEX maintener, he followed up on my suggestion, this is great.

>>I saw that 2 days ago
    erh what exactly did you see? i haven't seen anything concrete so far

>>Well it was my idea first, was it not ?
    hehe yep it was, very nice one!! Thanks so much for it

>>I am so gratefull to the DEX maintener, he followed up on my suggestion, this is great.

agreed and appreciated
    Last edited by kreisl; 02-01-2017 at 04:18 PM.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/

There are plenty of suppliers / vendors, and tutorials of all sorts, so I just post the above official link.
    Otherwise I am afraid we will go out off topic very fast.

>>I saw that 2 days ago
    erh what exactly did you see? i haven't seen anything concrete so far
    I meant I saw DEX 3.2.9 release and the raspbian ARM note
    at https://savannah.nongnu.org/forum/fo...?forum_id=8785

>>with a Raspi powered thru the USB output of the mc3k itself, how cool is that?
    Open the loop
    Loop of loop !
    Even cooler one can power the raspi with rechargeable batteries,
    even eneloop I guess.

closing the loop

Ok, my humour is daft

>>Loop of loop !

maybe you could share a photo or two of your crunching pie when it is dex logging? I am dying to see something concrete

have you got the dedicated pie 7″ touchscreen or which monitor/screen do you connect to your pie?

Page 147 of 161 FirstFirst ... 4797137140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154157 ... LastLast