HDS Systems        
Page 165 of 166 FirstFirst ... 65115155158159160161162163164165166 LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,950 of 4959

Thread: SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Default Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Quote Originally Posted by MarioJP View Post
    Yea me either, but what about the housing. Reinforced pins? I did notice that the display is slightly yellow than the one i originally bought. Mine was blue.
    Correction of my post above, apparently the firmware can be an indicator of the improved build quality:

FW 1.10 it is def the "June Version,"

FW greater than 1.10, it is either June or an old version with updated FW. An See kreisl's post #3613 #3.

FW less than 1.10, it is the old version.

Is there any other way to determine whether we have a model with the reinforced posts, short of opening it up?

EDIT, From post #3552, here are ways to determine from just the exterior, whether case is post June 2016 reinforced post model. I think this bears repeating because apparently many vendors are still selling the pre-June 2016 inventory without updated case, and many customers are looking for the post June model

(old model on left, new on right)

1) New Model has shiny Silvery Coating on sliders/rails/metal contacts, and no lube/grease on sliders.

2) Tint of display is less blue (old on left, new on right)- although the model I got has FW 1.03 so old, but the tint doesnt look so blue to me, so maybe this is useless to know unless have both old and new to compare)

3) Recessed Area on bottom for Label Sticker (new case)
    Last edited by joelbnyc; 11-04-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by 7histology View Post
    But NKON (according to kreisl) has had ONLY the June 2016 version since around July 2016. As suggested, have a look at post 3552.
    Around July 8th 2016 to be exact. :-p

I should know, since I got the last with the weak posts. At that time, they were waiting for fresh stock (with improved posts). I should add that they might have been shipping some good units before that as well. I think mine was part of some old inventory, but they were kind enough put it back for sale when I asked when they were expecting more units.

The one with bad posts is in semi-daily use still, after getting an upgraded shell, shipped free of charge from NKON.

I also emailed RCJuice which happens to only have 2 left in stock and this is what they said

"Mario,

Though we are the largest SkyRC dealer in the US this is a charger we just started carrying.* We have sold 30 or 40 of them and have not had any issues reported to us thus far.

-John B.

RCJuice Customer Support*

RCJuice.com"

Default Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

I'm going to bring this to the top in case kreisl is back.

Quote Originally Posted by 7histology View Post
    So is this MAC address business an indication of:

- the latest HW build - in which case how is this build different from the one I got from NKON in August 2016 which was then
    the latest HW build with all the problematic bits fixed?

- or really an indication of FW?

Mine shows FW 1.10 - I have not updated it but know I can. Mine also shows HW 1.4+. I can't make it show MAC address however.

I know none of this really matters but am interested anyway. So Kreisl ....... ?
    EagTac M25C2 Turbo_VN_XPG2-PDTc version; SureFire UB3T Invictus; Nitecore SRT7; TrustFire X6; LumaPower MVP (3xCree) , Sunwayman V11R; 4Sevens Quark AA Tactical; Nitecore DI (R2, GDP, Q5); LiteFlux LF2XT-R2;

I've given up trying to use my PC and Android phone with the MC3000 and will need to rely mainly on it's built-in LCD menus, which aren't too bad to use. I've used much more difficult equipment some of which had no firmware with LCD screen. Configuration was done through pins, dip switches, etc. from pcb's.

In the old days we often would spend from days to weeks, sometimes months trying to setup and configure different types of electronics such as for telco, different types of office equipment, security equipment, equipment for financial institutions, Diebold, IBM, Sperry, etc.. Configuring different types of electronic equipment including those with bioses and firmware use to be fairly limited. Often to re-configure a bios required you pull the bios chip and reprogram it with new code using a bios chip reader/writer. This was true of many early PC that normally ran a CP/M OS and also many of the early DOS and CP/M-86 machines.

Anyway I'm currently trying to salvage 8 x 18650's from an old dell laptop battery pack. Initially the MC3000 wasn't able to recognize each of the 18650's as they were at zero voltage. (note these are really old batteries that have been sitting around in storage for years, so I'm uncertain if these cells are salvageable and will last a while or not) I've had a few 18650's that proved to be un revivable, staying at zero voltage.

Using a USB charger I have been able to bring back some of the 18650s to voltage and capacity that's acceptable for the MC3000 to recognize and start to charge installed 18650's

The MC3000 appears to have a minimum voltage where it's able to begin to charge a Lithium battery. My usb charger doesn't have any voltage readout but remember seeing from my DMM a voltage reading from around ~2 to ~2.5 volts, where the MC3000 would recognize and begin charging. At lower voltages the MC3000 produced and error "Check Voltage". I think this error occurs when a 18650 is under 2 volts?

The USB charger is for a single cell so I'm still trying get the last three 18650s back to an acceptable voltage for charging with the MC3000. Currently the last three cells, one measure around ~10-12 volts, another ~35 volts and the third one around ~70 volts. Neither the USB, MC3000 or an Opus BT C3100 charger will recognize any of the three cells. I'm not certain why there voltages started to read higher. My DMM's seemed to sort of wacky at times when measuring battery current of the dead or zero volt cells. Installing them into the usb charger seems to have waked them up. Leaving them in the usb charger up to several hours brings them back to life with voltages above 2 volts, where I then installed them into the MC3000.

The USB charger potentially takes up to 10+ mins to recognize and start to charge one of the zero volts 18650's. So it just sits there without an leds lit until if finally recognizes the cell and starts to charge it up. Perhaps feeding it some sort of current in order to wake the dead cell up.

With the MC3000 I'm using a standard charging routine for the reawakened 18650's

With some other 18650's pulled from an unused laptop battery pack I used a "refresh" routine instead.

I guess for some users all this isn't anything new, but I thought I would share my experience reviving dead 18650's for others attempting to do the same for the first time.

Specs for the batteries I'm reviving - Samsung ICR18650-22F

(one's revived so far have held a charge ok)

Nominal Specifications ICR18650-22F

3.1 Nominal Capacity 2200mAh (0.2C discharge)
    3.2 Charging Voltage 4.2V
    3.3 Nominal Voltage 3.6V
    3.4 Charging Method CC-CV
    (constant voltage with limited current)
    3.5 Charging Current Standard charge: 1100mA
    Rapid charge : 2200mA
    3.6 Charging Time Standard charge : 3hours
    Rapid charge : 2.5hours
    3.7 Max. Charge Current 2200mA
    3.8 Max. Discharge Current 4400mA
    3.8 Max. Discharge Current 4400mA
    3.9 Discharge Cut-off Voltage 2.75V
    3.10 Cell Weight 44.5g max
    3.11 Cell Dimension Diameter(max.) : Φ 18.4 mm Height : 65mm max
    3.12 Operating Temperature Charge : 0 to 45℃ Discharge: -20 to 60℃
    3.13 Storage Temperature 1 year : -20~25℃(1*)
    3 months : -20~45℃(1*)
    1 month : -20~60℃(1*)
    Note (1): If the cell is kept as ex-factory status(50% of charge),
    the capacity recovery rate is more than 80%.

Added note: I was eventually able to awaken and charge the last three cells with the usb charger and eventually install them into the MC3000 once their voltage reached 2+ volts.

All the zero volt cells the MC3000 was able to charge to just over 4 volts, however being used cells sitting a long time I'm uncertain of their performance, i.e. capable of maintaining a charge, not easily drained from higher loads, etc.
    Last edited by Albert_; 11-07-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Today i found a 1" crack running from the charging bay along the side of my MC3000, I bought mine from GB over a year ago and it was one that was affected with the broken slider pillars (brittle plastic)

I keep it wrapped in bubble wrap and stored in a tin box so it has not been dropped or anything.

So sad for such a nice charger, I will have to see if it can glue it.

Anybody else had this cracking problem?

John.

Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 11-10-2017 at 09:08 AM. Reason: added photo
    SkyRC MC3000 - Maha C9000 - LaCrosse BC-900 - Floureon BT-C3100 V2.2 - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    LiitoKala Lii-100 - Cozypony 24W Solar Panel - Soshine H4 - Soshine T2 - Soshine E4S

I have not seen that on either of mine. One is the 'June 2016 production' version, has all the fixes and has been used at least twice weekly since August 2016. My other one is one of the first production runs, presumably has the flaky post issue, but which is so far just fine although not now used.

Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    Today i found a 1" crack running from the charging bay along the side of my MC3000, I bought mine from GB over a year ago and it was one that was affected with the broken slider pillars (brittle plastic)

I keep it wrapped in bubble wrap and stored in a tin box so it has not been dropped or anything.

So sad for such a nice charger, I will have to see if it can glue it.

Anybody else had this cracking problem?

John.

EagTac M25C2 Turbo_VN_XPG2-PDTc version; SureFire UB3T Invictus; Nitecore SRT7; TrustFire X6; LumaPower MVP (3xCree) , Sunwayman V11R; 4Sevens Quark AA Tactical; Nitecore DI (R2, GDP, Q5); LiteFlux LF2XT-R2;

I seem to vaguely remember a while back some discussion about spare parts and/or repairs performed on a MC3000?

My MC3000 has a broken pin. I'm in the process of determining it's 3 year warranty I purchased for it. However I would like to know my options for repairing it myself.

I found this spare case from Gearbest https://www.gearbest.com/led-accessories/pp_392591.html?currency=USD&vip=760243&gclid=EAIaI QobChMI0Yio6vC21wIVlF5-Ch2dWwD8EAYYASABEgLGePD_BwE

One of the pins is completely broken off and I'm not able to find the broken pin to glue back on.

I'll need to dismantle and try to figure a good method to secure the spring with a broken off pin.

Are there any particular methods people are using to hold down the slot springs where the spring pins are missing?
    Last edited by Albert_; 11-13-2017 at 03:58 AM.

Flashaholic*

That looks like all you’d need, but it seems wrong to shell out that much if itMs I’ll under warranty.

It’s the top part that have the pins as part of it.

In my case, NKON shipped a box with both this cover, a a couple of goodies like new feet, if I recall correctly.

Oh, and the replacement isn’t the easiest I’ve ever done, getting everything aligned properly with the slides can be fiddly. I think most can do it with some patience, could be a challenge for some. If anyone has “old people-type shaky hands” for example, sorry I couldn’t come up with a better way to put it, then I’d rather send it in.

If you’re somewhat handy, it should be just fine, and save you from being long without the charger.

Edit to add; this thread has repair instructions on how to do it. If I recall correctly, you can just manipulate the springs with tweezers (or screwdriver) to attach it to the new posts.
    Last edited by terjee; 11-11-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert_ View Post
    I seem to vaguely remember a while back some discussion about spare parts and/or repairs performed on a MC3000?

One of my MC3000 has a broken pin. I'm in the process of determining it's 3 year warranty I purchased for it. However I would like to know my options for repairing it myself.

I found this spare case from Gearbest https://www.gearbest.com/led-accessories/pp_392591.html?currency=USD&vip=760243&gclid=EAIaI QobChMI0Yio6vC21wIVlF5-Ch2dWwD8EAYYASABEgLGePD_BwE

However it appears to be only the top half and won't include any of the bottom half of the case?

Doesn't appear the replacement case will have any of the pins for the slot springs?

One of the pins is completely broken off and I'm not able to find the broken pin to glue back on.

I'll need to dismantle and try to figure a good method to secure the spring with a broken off pin.

Are there any particular methods people are using to hold down the slot springs where the spring pins are missing?
    There is a diy fix, you use a small cable-tie, put it though the hole on the motherboard and then put the spring end over the cable-tie and pull tight, there is a photo of how it should look in this thread somewhere. (found it)

John.

Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 11-11-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    SkyRC MC3000 - Maha C9000 - LaCrosse BC-900 - Floureon BT-C3100 V2.2 - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    LiitoKala Lii-100 - Cozypony 24W Solar Panel - Soshine H4 - Soshine T2 - Soshine E4S

I went ahead and fixed it myself using the diy zip tie method. Apparently the other post were also failing as all four post eventually broke off.

I'm wondering about the quality of the plastic used for the case?

During re-assembly I notice some barely visible minor cracks in the bottom half of the case.

Here's a pic of one of the cracks. It isn't a scratch as it opens wider when pressure is applied to the lower half of the case.

Other than for the case I find it to be good at charging batteries. However I originally purchased the MC3000 for it's PC connection and programability. Without workable software there's no PC control over the charger.
    Last edited by Albert_; 11-15-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Hey everyone,
    I received my second MC3000 a few weeks ago, and I am wondering about this graph from data explorer:

https://picload.org/view/droorari/eneloop_pro.jpg.html

I discharged two eneloop pro with 2A and D.Reduce till 200mA. Can someone explain the fluctuating voltage graph and rising voltages at both batteries?
    Charger/batteries faulty?
    Last edited by STIXXXXX; 11-14-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Looks like a crack forming on the bottom of joelbnyc charger, from post 4921.

Ironic to see this problem when I never had similar problem, even from my $2 charger way back then...

I started a test with 4 eneloop AA/XX. 3 cycles with 1.5A charge and discharge and D.Reduce 0.2A.
    Again slot 3 is noticeable - look at the first discharge and voltage rising....
    At the end of the 3rd cycle the charging stops before the battery ist full because of the fluctuating voltages and therefore no correct -deltaV.
    So I guess I should return the charger to hobbyking.com

Last edited by STIXXXXX; 11-15-2017 at 01:29 AM.

I am about to place an order for this charger. Should i hold off?

Quote Originally Posted by MarioJP View Post
    I am about to place an order for this charger. Should i hold off?
    The problem with the brittle plastic was with the early releases that had the broken spring/slider plastic terminal problem, the plastic type was replaced with a better quality one.

So it`s fine to buy a new MC3000.

I just wish my affected MC3000 was not falling to pieces, SkyRC should send out replacement plastic parts for free at least.

John.
    Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 11-15-2017 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by STIXXXXX View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I received my second MC3000 a few weeks ago, and I am wondering about this graph from data explorer:

https://picload.org/view/droorari/eneloop_pro.jpg.html

I discharged two eneloop pro with 2A and D.Reduce till 200mA. Can someone explain the fluctuating voltage graph and rising voltages at both batteries?
    Charger/batteries faulty?
    All almost normal

Fisrt 20 minutes, the voltage rises (after the sharp fast decrease)
    This is normal voltage increase : chemistry and mass transfer settle and temperature rises.
    Then there is the "voltage plateau".
    Then the smooth decrease in voltage on one battery, voltage oscillation on the other.
    IMHO, 2 A is a very high continuous load.

The algorithm/controlled had difficulties copping with setting the pair voltage/amps.
    Look into theory of PID controller where this can happens
    Pretty sure at a lesser load both curves will be smooth

Final oscillations normal : this is what D.reduce does.

I started a test with 4 eneloop AA/XX. 3 cycles with 1.5A charge and discharge and D.Reduce 0.2A.
    Again slot 3 is noticeable - look at the first discharge and voltage rising....
    At the end of the 3rd cycle the charging stops before the battery ist full because of the fluctuating voltages and therefore no correct -deltaV.
    So I guess I should return the charger to hobbyking.com
    Not sure to understand, there is only one slot on your graph
    It is a better with all slots to compare

Quote Originally Posted by Ravel View Post
    This is normal voltage increase : chemistry and mass transfer settle and temperature rises.
    I thought, an increase of temperature would let the voltage drop (like it is used by the -deltaV)?

Final oscillations normal : this is what D.reduce does.
    Yes, that΄s just like I expected and normal.

I had another model before, which worked fine till I accidently poured some beer/wine/[insert some partydrinks] and I didn΄t see those "drunken" graphs with that charger, and in addition slots 1,2,4 seem quite okay..
    Anyways, just opened a claim at hobbyking and will return the charger. Already packed and waiting for the third one from Amazon tomorrow.
    I will start a cycle recording and post it here. We΄ll see...

Not sure to understand, there is only one slot on your graph
    It is a better with all slots to compare
    Also, as I am not sure to understand, did you try with a different battery in slot 3?
    I mean is this slot 3 you think "faulty" or battery number 3 ?

Anyhow, I am not sure there is a problem

oops just seen we have posted at the same time

I thought, an increase of temperature would let the voltage drop (like it is used by the -deltaV)?
    I have seen this initial rising of voltage on a few AA NiMH baterries
    I must say on some very old crappy one
    that cannot deliver more than 60% of their initial capacity
    WHen I discharge them (usually at 0.5 A)
    I have seen this rise in voltage many times

I have extrapolated my explanation to your batteries (presumably relatively new) that
    are experiencing high load at 2A (hence my explanation of chemistry and mass transfer needing time to settle)

>>I thought, an increase of temperature would let the voltage drop (like it is used by the -deltaV)?

https://en.globtek.com/nimh-battery-safety-notes/
    the -deltaV is when the reaction is exothermic (charging)

The discharge is endothermic
    Law of physics / chemistry (principe de Le Chatelier) says that increase of T will "moderate" the chemistry
    See Van'T Hoff law

Ok, thanks for your explanations, Ravel.
    Correct, my batteries are mainly about one year old. This kind of jitter is only on slot 3 - tested with different batteries.
    Also, like I described, the last charge does not finish because of this.
    I will post a screenshot later with all slots and U/I on the new machine.

Good news from hobbyking.com:
    Message: Item is significantly different from its description Case ID: PP-006-335-310-136 Customer claimed that 1x052000140-1 is faulty. RMA #300002050 Offered partial refund $99.99 for the confirmed faulty item.

Very good service and it was the latest revision of the MC3000. I can keep the old one and see, what today΄s arrival will output on Data Explorer

edit:
    Charger just arrived from Amazon.de (seller McTrade).
    A bit older model than from hobbyking (FW 1.10 instead of 1.13 and recessed (+)contacts). The contacts came out completely at the one from hobbyking. But it΄s the newer case, so I will give it a try and first cycling is running...

edit2:
    because of the recessed (+)contacts, I noticed bad contact when rotating the batteries or putting them in the "wrong" way. I will open the case and bend the metal for better / parallel contact like I did with my first charger a year ago.
    And yes, I have a lot of fun with this toy
    Last edited by STIXXXXX; 11-16-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Ok, thanks for your explanations, Ravel.
    Correct, my batteries are mainly about one year old. This kind of jitter is only on slot 3 - tested with different batteries.
    Also, like I described, the last charge does not finish because of this.
    I will post a screenshot later with all slots and U/I on the new machine.
    Thanks fir all your posts
    Glad this gets sorted
    Keep us posted

Interesting case
    These jitters really look then like one slot is faulty then ;
    strange that it is smooth then not
    The controller is at fault, but maybe there is only a false contact or something contactwise happening at higher temperature
    If you ever disamble it you may get lucky

How strange anyhow
    You convinced me if you tried with different batteries

Have fun

I just had one of my spring post break on my early version MC3000, wondered when it would happen, good excuse to open it again (had to do the fan mod in the past) and do the zip tie mod as i don't see myself paying 17$ for an updated shell that should come free with a contrite apology.

Oh well

Ziptie method which i also did awhile ago, does work but its not perfect for every scenario.
    The tension of the spring becomes weaker, as the spring loop is trapped at a bit different position than it is with the posts. In my case 18350 batteries show significant increase in IR readings as theyre not compressed tightly enough.
    The ideal solution imo would be using one of those small plastic bolts with a nut.That way loop is trapped at exact same position as original posts.

Does anyone know the diameter of the post holes?
    Would like to source them first, before opening the charger again.

Ok, guys, to sum up:
    1. Charger: Amazon.de - new case - broke because of own fault.
    2. Charger: hobbyking - new case and better aligned (+)contacts - faulty at reading voltages - production date on PCB Dec 16
    3. Charger: Amazon.de - new case and old recessed (+)contacts - working good after re-aligning the contacts - production date on PCB Jan 16

I opened the faulty charger(2) but couldn΄t find anything suspicious.
    But at further testing I recognized that the oscillating voltage readings correlate with fan activity / temperatures.

At first I thought of voltage problems because of the fan, but the rising voltage at the beginning of the graph would lead to temperature-voltage-reading problems... any ideas?
    (in this screenshot the jitter is not as bad as in the screenshot above - slot 3 was the most inaccurate one)

Charger(3) is working fine. Perfect graphs for 3 cycles over night. No screenshot, because dataexplorer was hanging, when I tried to change colors
    Same eneloops used as with Charger(2).

Does anyone know when this charger be in stock again? And also, whether or not if i should order from HKE again due to no warranty for those that are in the U.S but then again, it's 99 bucks as Amazon has it around almost 200 to 300 bucks. That's a lot for a charger. I would probably get the updated version if i did order from hke as they don't seem to have it in stock so there shouldn't be anymore old units. but in the meantime. Know any good sellers trustworthy that ships to US besides hke?

Thanks.

Page 165 of 166 FirstFirst ... 65115155158159160161162163164165166 LastLast