NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 8 of 166 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151858108 ... LastLast

Thread: SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Default Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Is there any anticipated release date for this charger?

I would like to get one for a friend, and/or keep it for myself and give her my old Maha C9000 as she has no charger at all and has been using my old Nitecore i4 v2 (which is fine, but then I don't have a Li-Ion charger)

Or should I just get another C9000? Hoping to purchase before Xmas.

Thanks!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by N8N View Post
    Is there any anticipated release date for this charger?

I would like to get one for a friend, and/or keep it for myself and give her my old Maha C9000 as she has no charger at all and has been using my old Nitecore i4 v2 (which is fine, but then I don't have a Li-Ion charger)

Or should I just get another C9000? Hoping to purchase before Xmas.

Thanks!
    Not until next year could be 4-6 months yet there is no firm date.

Rather than buy another C9000 at this point just buy an XTAR VP2 Li-Ion charger. So your covered with a top charger. Sometime in the future you may want to get this charger so having a second C9000 at this point might not be worth it.

Thanks for that idea, I'll look into that charger some more, but I actually do use some LiFePO4s as one of my more used lights is a Streamlight Night Com UV, that looks like it would also accomplish the goal of combining two chargers that I have into one to save space/clutter.Since this thread is about the MC3000 if I have any questions after researching I'll post elsewhere/start a new thread...

Quote Originally Posted by _UPz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by _UPz View Post
    i would like to see the PCB
    You forgot me or what?
    No i didn't forget you. Sorry for the late response. The PCB is ever under reconstruction and therefore it makes little sense to post pictures of the prototype version PCB's. However one thing stays the same, namely the implantation of the awesome original Cortex-M3 Processor, so i should be safe sharing the below 1yr old detail with hand-soldered components:

Btw I've seen photos of the unpopulated Dec-PCB and i could have my filthy hands on it sometime soon. For the above picture i actually taught myself how to disassemble and re-assemble the device, a very simple procedure. That's also how i know that it would be straight-forward to extend/enlarge the present metal bar heatsink, if one really wanted to: there is plenty of space below the backside of the PCB to install a really hefty heatsink plate after **cking the firmware for 3 amps discharge rates

Q. "unpopulated Dec-PCB", i googled and tried to look up wikipedia. Could only find a reference back to my question, this very one, lol. What's that? I want one two. Haha.
    A. My bad, i thought that you'd figure that one out. Dec means nothing short of December. The print date is noted on the PCB as you can see. Unpopulated means no soldered components.

Q. Thus, smart cookie as i am, the above pic is showing the populated Jan-PCB? Woah, i am really getting the hang of it, yaha!
    A. Geez your enthusiasm. Jan-PCB is correct, yes. But don't let me comment on your smart cookie remark. Tss.

Q. Meep?? (…) It's ok, thx. Then.. would you know what the changes are on the new PCB version? And will life slow down after Xmas? Anything?
    A. Bluetooth has been added, nothing further afaik. Sure, scene and biz decelerate after winter like every year. No worries, I'm here to keep things going you betcha. Hehe.
    Last edited by kreisl; 12-25-2014 at 05:40 AM.

Kreisl, you mentioned 3xAA battery holders in one of your posts above. Are these any good? I bought a couple to use in a 2D Maglite but they were useless. Just wondering where to get good quality ones from. Sorry to go off topic.

Wow, this thread has now 25,000 views…

Quote Originally Posted by Dubois View Post
    Sorry to go off topic.
    Dubois no off-topic at all
    With the MC3000, round adapters/round holders are a recurring topic of interest because the tray is large enough to host two full-D size holders Ø33mm (tray: D/C/D/C or D/C/C/D) or four sub-D size holders Ø30mm (tray: sub-D/sub-D/sub-D/sub-D). The commercial Ø30mm serial holders are out of the box perfect for loading the tray with 12×AA (=4*3 AA) for powerbanking by NiMH batteries. Today I ordered another identical set of Ø30mm holders to mod them from serial to parallel configuration; then the modded holders can be used for NiMH parallel charging 12×AA at 1.0A/AA. The point is, with D size holders one can only charge 8×AA in parallel (tray: 3+1+3+1 or 3+1+1+3). A heads up, I am happy to report that testing the utility and performance of round holders in the MC3000 tray, either for powerbanking or for NiMH parallel charging, went successfully. Will present test details in future, no prob.

Source and quality of round holders. For our project I purchased a whole bunch, 6 different SKU's, of round holders from Fasttech but was not satisfied with most of them, especially the black plastic ones felt thin, light-weight, cheap, flexible, and were partly chipped. Most recently i've been lucky and sourcing fresh sets from a new seller and the products are much better build quality: white plastic, solid, heavier, sturdy, quite impressive (and also a bit more expensive), and with lower electrical resistance. Needless to say, I retired all FT round holders. Since i do consider round adapters to be essential or helpful optional accessories, they imo accompany the charger beautifully , I plan to provide more detailed info on them, maybe with a table or some photos. Please re-check this post in near future for such additions, I am gonna fill you in.

Q. Nice collection of round holders you got there. What's your current count? And why do you have that many?
    A. 34. Four holders in action facilitate the testing of the feasibility of extended operation at its extremes, 3A charging, 2A discharging, parallel charging, NiMH powerbanking.

Q. The sub-D size parallel holders sound interesting. 12×AA charging, wtf really? Will the MC3000 retail package include any round holders? I am no modder after all.
    A. Where to begin? 4-5 different types of round holders would imho be suitable to accompany the charger, for a total of 16-20pcs! Not gonna happen, sorry.

Q. No problem. I don't even have 12 AA's at home haha, do you? (…) Uhm have you got any info updates on the Dec-PCB, is it populated by now?
    A. Well yes now i do. Been shipped, i'm tracking it yay! Curious myself if the new DC2 prototype comes with an added blue LED at the side.
    Last edited by kreisl; 12-31-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Happy New Year starts with new prototype delivery woot!

Interesting. Thanks for the info - I'll keep checking this thread. Amazing that you could charge 12 eneloops in one go with this charger.

(porfa no haga clic)

Sorry I need to postpone the detailing on the adapters in my previous post. The new prototype has reached me albeit with old firmware and testing the performance of the altered hardware comes first! Thanks for your comprehension

Q. Worm, MiX6, Tank007 E09, .. you're not trying to recharge these LED mini flashlights directly in the Skyrc charger, are you? I don't believe that would work too well.
    A. Huh. Originally i thought of them as funny decoration in the charger tray for the photo. But now your question inspired me to really consider this possibility, thank you!

Q. Wth really? Haha, I fooled you. You cannot be serious. Charging an AAA battery contained in such a flashlight cannot work at all, or the flashlight would explode :P
    A. Lol dude. You got me there. Of course it can't work. Still wondering who's fooled whom here. Hehe.

Q. Aww man. Anyway, i clicked on the pic, did'nt understand the video, and couldn't see the bluetooth LED, is there? Which one is the latest build by the way?
    A. The right one. Bluetooth LED you're saying? Ehrm, did you see that squirrel over there… erh lah-lalah-lalahh, gotta leave, bye!

What's the tested mAh count of the MiX6Ti?

Well the MC3000 is on my list of must buys. I'll be watching for it's release to the general public.

Thanks kerisl for the information and updates!!
    Bill

Thanks for your interest Bill it is my pleasure!
    UPz the MiX6 because of its metal shell causes a short and i haven't figured out a workaround yet. Will keep trying
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Me Up View Post
    IMHO, 10 is a bit low. If I didn't have the USC and I was looking at purchasing the MC3000, I'd be asking for it to allow up to 100 as well (or at least 50) so that it could also do similar cycle testing without having to be babied all of the time.
    Ooh, i noticed that a firmware update has become available on the server, earlier versions are gone yikes:

It seems that the max N of CYCLE got increased from 10 to the requested 99 . Testing the new FW1.07 will take some time during which i hopefully will figure out what/how 1. and 4. are in detail

Quote Originally Posted by ko4nrbs View Post
    Well the MC3000 is on my list of must buys. I'll be watching for it's release to the general public.

Thanks kerisl for the information and updates!!
    Bill
    +1. We await with bated breath.

Q. Who is kerisl?
    A. Ah, Kreisl, I understand. (just joining in the fun while we wait)

It's encouraging that SKYRC is doing the R&D before the MC3000 is made available. Far too often some manufactures rush the R&D so they can get the product shoved out the door as fast as possible. It seems some manufactures have decided to let the end users work out the bugs for them. Unfortunately once a product has developed a bad reputation it is very difficult to recover from all the bad press. This is especially true now with the World Wide Web!!

Thank you SKYRC!! I appreciated your due diligence in perfecting the MC3000!! I'll be looking a little closer at your other products now.
    Bill

Me too. I am eagerly looking out for this product to do essentially all my charging.

Thank you SKYRC!! I appreciated your due diligence in perfecting the MC3000!! I'll be looking a little closer at your other products now.
    Bill
    EagTac M25C2 Turbo_VN_XPG2-PDTc version; SureFire UB3T Invictus; Nitecore SRT7; TrustFire X6; LumaPower MVP (3xCree) , Sunwayman V11R; 4Sevens Quark AA Tactical; Nitecore DI (R2, GDP, Q5); LiteFlux LF2XT-R2;

I am just curious to know if we are getting close to have a launch date yet?

As every year the calendar has been very busy these first months of the year, trade fairs here, trade fairs there, the team has been touring several new or upcoming products across continents as it is mandatory for manufacturing companies to do so, see the many spring trade fairs in the US.

The pdf catalog got re-updated, you may have noticed. It will be updated another few times this year, no doubt about it.

A first test version 1.0 of the iPhone bluetooth app was posted on Apple Itunes Store, i couldn't test it because i had accidentally bent the phone and am now dependent on my Galaxy android for which the bluetooth app isn't ready yet for distribution.

Right now the country is on CNY vacation until the end of the month. Development work will resume thereafter to meet even higher standards, the existence of professional grade German charger-analyzers, and the two related products UltraSmartCharger and uCurrent Gold did help to raise the bar. We'll see more rounds of prototyping so the launch date is still pretty vague and afaik beyond spring.

Sorry for the long wait, i'll try to help it

Enlightened

thanks for update.
    do you know when MC3000 will be put on market ?

afaik beyond spring ?

Quote Originally Posted by kreisl View Post
    Sorry for the long wait, i'll try to help it
    Much better for the development team to take all the time they need!! I'd much rather have it right than fast.
    Bill

Is it me or is this charger seems that it will not be priced for the consumer market?

Are there any plans for a cheaper model without the Bluetooth stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by hammerjoe View Post
    Are there any plans for a cheaper model without the Bluetooth stuff?
    The product will be priced for the consumer market, don't worry. For the flagship release MC3000, pro-like features and top hiq electronic components are part of the design process to learn what the bom costs do sum up to. Production cost be no major decision maker at this stage. But yes in a second future wave, with more economic considerations in place, the efforts would be to reduce dimensions and cost in order to offer a less expensive alternative, maybe a popular compact 2-slot LCD charger without bluetooth stuff. Depending on the reception of the expensivish MC3000 there are also ideas to expand on the present specs and components in some distant future to make it even more XXX hehe.

As you can see, ideas in both directions exist. The success of the initial market release will determine the path to follow. Therefore much attention and time is taken now to ensure that the charger lives up to the expectations.

Woa. What a vacuous diplomatic post lol. Makes me sound like a politician

Much better for the development team to take all the time they need!! I'd much rather have it right than fast.
    Bill
    +1. It seems these guys know what they are doing, and are doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by kreisl View Post
    I also noted that users could easily expand the built-in metal heat sink plate. However that's not needed. Especially during charge 4×(2.5…3.0A) there are no temperature problems with the MC3000 and the fan usually stays off, depending on the room temperature. Generated heat becomes a factor at high discharge rates, 4×-1.0A, so the smart fan would turn on. Don't worry, the topic temperature/thermals/cooling has been fully addressed in the design of the device from the very start, and i don't expect any further changes. I tested charges and discharges at full load, and everything is cool
    Kreisl, I take it that even despite the fan there will be overheat protection as well?
    What are the temperature cutoffs for NIMH, 16850 and other cells?

Can we adjust the cuttoff temp via the app?
    How accurate is the battery temperature readings?

PS - We are now in march, any idea of release date yet? Spring is only a couple weeks away.

Sorry for the late response. With CNY and international trade fairs and parallel product releases work had to be put temporarily on hold but will resume soon enough . Yes we are now in march and to take wind out of the sails lemme foresee that spring can't cut it i am confident sorry. One thing i can assure you, this won't become a rushed release or development.

Heat protection. The charger has fuses, measures 5 temperatures (4 batteries, 1 internal) and it's accurate and can be followed in real-time, +0.1°C on the PC screen, +1°C on the LCD. The user can set the internal temperature when the fan should kick in (General Setting, via LCD: {Auto|OFF|ON|20|25|…|45|50}°C ), and every stored program has a user-settable battery temperature for immediate program termination (Program Setting, via LCD, PC, or smartphone app: {OFF|20|21|…|69|70}°C or {OFF|68|69|…|157|158}°F) accompanied by a loud obnoxious warning beep ta-tü ta-tah melody.

Temperature readings. Let's keep in mind, we have 8 temp sensors, 4 warm batteries, 1 populated warm PCB, no possible thermal insulation/isolation between the 4 slots/batteries, and all stuffed within the confines of a compact charger; this means that when you discharge a single 4.35V Samsung 18650 in slot1 at max discharge rate, you are going to notice a raise of slot temperature in the empty slot4. I checked the physics, it can't be helped: heat always finds its way to wander around and distribute over the place. One cannot really guide and isolate the different heat paths and heat sources. Heat is to dissipate quickly by distribution, hence one measurement (slot1) will also affect the measurement on the other end (slot4) by a noticeable bit. In other words, while the measurements are accurate per se (+0.1°C), they don't necessarily represent with 100% accuracy "the battery temperature" —a thing which doesn't exist anyway because temperature has always been a scalar field quantity T=T(t,x,y,z)— rather than the temperature at the sensor itself, and the sensor doesn't know/care from where exactly the heating originates. In fact, on the screen you can also see the influence of warm daytime versus chilly nighttime in the 24h-plot of the 'battery temperature' reading.

In short, temperature measurements are helpful for orientation yet should be taken with a grain of sugar. They represent the heat around the tip of the sensors and not from where it originates or accumulates.

Enlightened

Thanks Kreisl for the update
    If I have understood correctly, if I need realistic temperature measurement on one slot, it is better to avoid charging/discharging cell in near slot

can be a solution ?

Hi my friends..

When will be available this charger??

Quote Originally Posted by fran82 View Post
    Hi my friends..
    hola fran y f. 😉
    right now i am on the road thru china vacational tourist trip
    and i also plan to visit SZ factories flashlights chargers 😱
    maybe i get a chance to see mc3000 tooling site and ask
    about dates and more

it's beautiful over here omg… 🌆

Hola amigo!!

Nice to talk with you again kreisler.

I logged in here at cpf one year ago or more...

I really love this charger.

Hope you enjoy the trip!!! Have a good holidays there!

Honorary Aussie

Hi Kreisl,

You said,

"The user can set the internal temperature when the fan should kick in (General Setting, via LCD: {Auto|OFF|ON|20|25|…|45|50}°C ),"

I dunno, this sounds like an accident waiting to happen unless there is an automatic override. Am I missing something here?
    It is better to buy a beautiful, expensive, custom flashlight than to curse the darkness.

i fail to see potential hazards, the prudent user would leave the general settings like that. if set to off, then he she lives in cold region and doesn't want to hear any ventilation noise. accidents through ignorance could always happen, think of plugging in US plugs. not a safe thing to begin with imho🙉

Page 8 of 166 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151858108 ... LastLast