Help please.

charlest

Newly Enlightened
Guess I didn't purchase the correct power supply for my needs. I'm gonna go ahead and suck up my pride here. Because I've bought over 100 dollars in useless junk that isn't going to work for me. So I'm hoping for a very direct answer please. I am going to be running 30 in total leds off 3 meanwell ldd-1000h pucks.

One led string of 20x 6500k 600-700ma 3.4fv

One led string of 3x cree xp-e 600-1000ma 3.2fv

One led string of 7x 600ma 2.4fv

I am looking for one power supply to supply enough power for all of these lights. Thank you in advance.

mds82

Enlightened
The ldd-1000h is a constant current 1000ma output, so if you are trying to run these at 600-700mA you will need a PWM controller for this.

String 1 - 20 LED's would give you a forward voltage of 68v which is too high. You will need to split this into 2 strings each with their own driver. This would give you 34volts.

For a driver you will probalby want to go with a 48V DC power supply that can handle at least 60 watts. anything over a 2A 48vDC power supply should work find, but if you can find something higher it would be safer just to you don't push the power supply too hard

one such example would be the Meanwell RS-150-48 and mouser.com has them in stock

Last edited:

charlest

Newly Enlightened
Yes I will be running it through arduino but left that out So the question didn't become overly complicated. I can just use a fourth ldd-1000h no problem and split the whites up. So would I need a power supply higher than 48v to run all 30 leds? I had 48v 1a 100w in mind but I am completely unsure. Thank you for the reply.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
48V 1A 100W doesn't add up. 1A at 48V is 48W. 100W at 48V is over 2A. Are we missing something, like it has dual outputs?

charlest

Newly Enlightened
And this thread explained why I am an idiot. According to this all I need is to split up my amps and run in a parallel. So technically if this is correct I need a 48v 2.8a amp power supply and If split the power up to four ldd-700h pucks I get 700ma to each.
http://reefledlights.com/wiring-diagrams/

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, they won't each get 700 mA. But they don't each want the same amount. They will each draw the amount of current necessary to run the output voltage/current plus losses.

You should calculate the total input power each wants, add them up, add 10-15% for efficiency (losses), and ensure you have enough power in the supply.

Alternatively, you could calculate the input current of each (which is less than the output current because they are buck regulators), and add them up. You should come up with the same result.

If either the input power or the input current of the four pucks is greater than the power supply, you will overload the supply and not get good results.

charlest

Newly Enlightened
So I ended up taking your guys advice here thank you for the explanations. So I dropped my led count from ten to 7 to get under 24v because I was having a heck of a time finding a powersupply to meet those specs. I ended up getting a 24v 5a supply. And 4 ldd 700 and one 500 for my arduino

mds82

Enlightened
you just need to make sure the input current is about 1.5 v above the output current, thats how most all buck bucks work.