Video Review: Armytek Tiara A1 Pro Warm in 1080p HD. With Video Runtime Comparisons

mhanlen

Enlightened
Review: Armytek Tiara A1 Pro Warm

It took me well over a month and a half to do this one, but here it is. This was not sponsored by anyone, but I did win it in a giveaway. So I figured I'd spend a little time and let everyone know if it's worth the price or not.

I have included several video runtime tests in the umm... video, that demonstrate how the light runs on each battery. It's split screen, that shows you how well a 14500 performs over an alkaline. The video itself is a bit longer than my usual, mostly because the UI took so long to demonstrate. Even so there are quirks to it I'm sure I forgot to mention. But that would have added another 2-3 minutes. Anyway, the video should give you a good sense of the light. I feel like I should have included some more jokes, but maybe in my next review.

And here are a few photos...
14900468948_1e96acf4c4_c.jpg

15086695882_1fea657100_c.jpg

15087052485_5b6d8f4eaf_c.jpg

14900491237_a5cf61bd10_c.jpg

14900365719_539921550c_c.jpg

15084044081_0cdf427bcb_c.jpg

14900487287_7450ac4e85_c.jpg

14900488157_a44af947af_c.jpg

Thanks for watching everyone. Subscribe to my channel if you want to see more.

Swede74

Enlightened
Thank you very much for spending so much time on this review. I almost feel I ought to pay you for providing me with 15 minutes of excellent nighttime entertainment. Besides sleeping, I can't think of a better activity (family friendly forum) at 4 am than watching a genuine M. Hanlen review.

The output on a single Eneloop is amazing, if Armytek's specifications are correct. I was very impressed when I read about the newly released Thrunite Neutron 2A v2; is it possible this one is pushing the envelope even further?

On a more jocular note: with the magnet removed you get access to a small storage space which can hold for example a tiny spare battery for something other than your headlamp, or maybe a length of floss if you happen to be a person who likes to marry the use of a headlamp with good dental hygiene.

Last edited:

mhanlen

Enlightened
It would make an excellent floss holder, especially when backpacking. Thanks for the kind words!

dwong

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the nice review, want to pick up a AA HL but got spoil by the SF HL UI.

Blue Steel

Newly Enlightened
Great review. If you have the time, can you post a night shot of the beam color on different foliage? I am looking to pick on of these up, but not sure if 4000k is too warm for my liking. Thanks.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Great review. If you have the time, can you post a night shot of the beam color on different foliage? I am looking to pick on of these up, but not sure if 4000k is too warm for my liking. Thanks.

Here you go. I threw in a Skilhunt headlamp that uses a cool white emitter, just for reference. I kept the white balance dialed in at 4000k for both shots. I think the tint of the Armytek is very very nice personally.

14927898823_092ce66d0d_c.jpg

14927898453_d265002b47_c.jpg

15361451789_899634383f_c.jpg

15361937808_4e54c8c0aa_c.jpg

14927317194_367b10f8ac_c.jpg

14927898143_95c6b265c5_c.jpg

Blue Steel

Newly Enlightened
That is fantastic. It is indeed a nice color, I like it. Thank you for taking the time to do this. Much appreciated.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought one of these and this review was a major part of the decision. Seems like a great headlamp so far. I'm a big fan of the Armytek build quality and anodizing. The tint on the warm is just excellent and seems to stay behaved even at lower drive levels. The max output on 14500 is almost shocking (for the size) and even on AA is very capable.

I can also tell that my "Armytek duo" (Tiara A1 Pro + Predator 2.5 Pro) will make a great pair to use together for walking. Headlamp to cover the immediate area in front and the Predator for medium/long distance spotting.

Last edited:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely a good light. Its seen some light use and the UI is great after some practice. Only issue is that the switch is pretty hard. This is good cause it prevents accidental activation but some people may find it excessive. My girlfriend commented that it was a bit much for her to do comfortably.

skater1on1

Newly Enlightened
I too bought one based on this review. Build quality is above average, tint is beautiful, but I am pretty underwhelmed with output ... even on 14500. It's fine for close quarters work, but I find myself reaching for my Convoy/Zeusray when more light is needed. I was also pretty bummed to find out that Armytek rates their lights in LED lumens and not OTF. I really wish all manufacturers (especially established ones) would get on the same page, though I suppose this is my fault for not doing complete research.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't. I'd instead go with the Skilhunt H02 (or whatever it's called) and put in a warm emitter. Half the price, and runs on a 18650.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a bit surprised you aren't happy with the output. I think, other than the cool white model, this may be the brightest 1xAA/1x14500 on the market unless there is another option I am missing. I wonder how much of that perception is due to the wide beam angle?

I also wish Armytek would rate in OTF or ANSI lumens though. Their lights are on par or superior to many of the other established brands IMO but it is unfortunate to see them using LED lumens which is typical for low quality lights.

mhanlen

Enlightened
As someone who owns all three lights (The Armytek Tiara, wizard Pro, and H02), I prefer the armyteks. I rarely use the highest modes on any of them. In the video I mentioned that I prefer the wizard if I do require higher outputs. The truth is the mode spacing and color temp of the H02 is what keeps me from using it a lot. As far as price goes... I paid $60 for the wizard on sale. The H02 hovers around $40 and I haven't seen the tiara pro less than $50.

skater1on1

Newly Enlightened
[For Sale] Bought one for a 2-day camping trip on 12/10/14. Worked great! In perfect condition. Comes with all accessories. I'll even toss in an Eneloop AA to get you started
smile.png
$65 shipped anywhere in 48 states.

Text me for quickest response 480.779.8307

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any good reason to bother setting the light for 14500 use if you use protected cells? It seems like selecting 14500 prevents normal AA from working. But if I select AA it seems that both cells work fine.

mhanlen

Enlightened
As far as I can tell it's just for the voltage indicator, which never worked right for me anyway. So I'd say "no."

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some impressions of this light after using it on a cold (-25C to -18C temperature range), overnight camping trip last weekend. It stayed on my head for over 12 hours.

Good:

• Handled the cold with no issues (used an Energizer EA91 cell)
  • The modes are well suited to the tasks of building fires and shelters. Of the 3 main modes I used the 65 lumen and 9 lumen.
  • Good battery life. We were in darkness and awake from 6PM til almost 2AM. Headlamps were on for about half of that time and I didn't get a low battery warning and used only one cell.
  • The beam was always useful and never felt too spotty or tunnel-vision like.
  • Very comfortable (but to be fair this was sitting over a winter hat).
  • Held place in the holder and never shifted around.
  • The tint was very useful in the woods. When cutting and cleaning trees it was much easier to see detail and contrast with the Tiara than with the cool white headlamps that the others were using. Though the cool-whites tended to appear somewhat brighter because the cool white looks strong when there is alot of snow down.

Bad:

• Switch can be a little tricky in large gloves

Last edited: