naked white 1W. I must be crazy... (pics)

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I finally destroyed one of my one watters. I tried to pop it off the star mount and .....ya know. Anyway, I just cant throw it away, the chip is still good so I AM going to make it work. First thing I noticed is that the chip is ALOT smaller than it looks (1mm square)
IMAG0006.JPG

I had to use my kids microscope to do any work.
IMAG0005.JPG

Once I started working on it the phospher coating started flaking off, so I removed it. The pointy thing in the pic is a pin.
IMAG0007.JPG

The die lights, and quite blue too. the only problem I see is getting the wires on it. I am thinking of soldering a single strand of stranded wire on the pad next to the chip and using a conductive epoxt to connect to the chip. MAN, I MUST BE CRAZY.... But as you can see it lights up.
IMAG0008.JPG

If anyone has any usefull ideas, let me know.

Jeff

I just relinked the pics

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coool. Topless and still lights up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well, its time for a blue 1w mod!

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woah! After you've ripped off everything, it looks super small! Say.. can we like squeeze 3 or 4 into the spaace of what a normal LS would take? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno Nerd... the pedistal is mabyee 3mm diameter and wider lower down. the problem remains, how to wire it up. there was a little bit of gold wire on the thing when I started. But stupid me, I tried to solder to them (they just melted away.

Thats ok. This one had super glue haze all over it from a mod gone bad...

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've one LS LD which I stripped of it's dome and phosphor too. It's a very cool shade of blue. A lil irritating on the eyes. I chucked it into a 2C mag and ran it off 1AA and 1 used 123. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good way to use up used 123s... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. does anyone know if there is a GOOD conductive epoxy or something like that I could use to make a bridge between the chip points and the solder pads??? I already put some JB weld on the aluminum sink up the the chip base to isolate any conductor from the heat sink.
jeff

LukeK

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Nerd said:
Woah! After you've ripped off everything, it looks super small! Say.. can we like squeeze 3 or 4 into the spaace of what a normal LS would take? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nerdy -- I believe you may call that the 5W LS.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really. The low dome has a smaller cup. So that's not so much space for that many die. The HD has a different type of cup. Notice that in the picture, the cup is hexagonal.

LukeK

Enlightened
Nerdy -- I must be missing something. The LED die on the Lambertians are also hexagonally shaped. The way I understood it, the batwings differed only in the shape of their dome. ??

LightScene

Enlightened
CircuitWorks Conductive Epoxy
The conveniently packaged epoxy for high-strength
conductive bonding
Excellent electrical conductivity
High strength conductive bonding
Repairs defective traces and creates jumpers to board
Quick solderless electronic connections
Two Part Epoxy–easy 1:1 mixing ratio
Compatible with CW2200
CW2400 Adhesive & Hardener 14 g (0.5 oz) total YDI $19.90
Conductive Epoxy

Jarhead

Banned
The die connects through several spots on the bottom side. To get them all to light, there was like four or five spots you need to make connection to...(been there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Jarhead

Banned
The die connects through several spots on the bottom side. To get them all to light, there was like four or five spots you need to make connection to...(been there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Oh, and you still have the thermal transfer issue you will need to take care of.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Nerd said:
Is it just me or is image station linking the wrong pictures here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing is happening to me.

-Mike

Latest posts