Need help picking a new light!

Dwilliams

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys, this is my first forum post!

I am in the market for a new flashlight and have decided between a few different options. They are the SureFire 6PX Defender, Armytek Predator Pro 2.5, the Four Sevens MMR Regen, and Olight M22. I primarily am looking for a light that is durable as I am harder on things than I intend to be. I also want it to have a good throw on it as well as some flood for close work. I really like the idea of having one that is rechargeable like the Four Sevens Regen. I will use the light for spotting things at night at my property where I keep livestock and have to identify what I am looking at. Also I will be using the light for some hunting and tracking. Lastly I want to be able to keep it by my bedstand as a personal defense light. Any suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated, I'm kind of lost in the dark here.

Thanks,

David

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a huge fan of the Surefire LX2 Lumamax. It has two modes in a tactically-correct tailcap which means you can use low mode when tracking, walking to the stand, or looking in your pack. It also has high mode which will reach extremely far due to the TIR optic used in the head. You can add a Surefire F04 diffuser which will convert the narrow beam into a broad flood pattern. It would make a great light to use for self defense since the tailcap is momentary only. Half press for low, fully depress for high.

Alternately, if you would prefer a click type tailcap, check out the Surefire E2DL, or E2DL Ultra. Same beam pattern/output/modes as the LX2, but the modes are accessed via multiple tailcap clicks.

Dwilliams

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the videos weez82, I'm thinking that I may give a 4Sevens a try down the road. As for cland72, I bought a Surefire today, a used M952V weaponlight that I came across for a deal I couldn't pass up. It will have a new home on one of my rifles that I use on the ranch, I tested it out and that sucker really lights up the night! I also came across an old SureFire G2 that I had given to me years ago and was a good light for some time. I put new batteries in it and it still works amazingly after all these years later! I think I want to put a newer, more modern lamp assembly into it, any ideas?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the videos weez82, I'm thinking that I may give a 4Sevens a try down the road. As for cland72, I bought a Surefire today, a used M952V weaponlight that I came across for a deal I couldn't pass up. It will have a new home on one of my rifles that I use on the ranch, I tested it out and that sucker really lights up the night! I also came across an old SureFire G2 that I had given to me years ago and was a good light for some time. I put new batteries in it and it still works amazingly after all these years later! I think I want to put a newer, more modern lamp assembly into it, any ideas?

Is the head on the G2 metal, or plastic? If metal, you can't beat a Malkoff Devices M61. If it has a plastic bezel, go with the M61L.

Dwilliams

Newly Enlightened
It's plastic. So what about a cheaper lamp instead of the Malkoff? At this time I can't spend $60 on a head. Any other make you guys would recommend for fairly cheap? Around $20 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be able to get a SolarForce drop in on eBay for under $20. They make single mode, 3 mode, and 5 mode versions. Be careful you order exactly what you want.

Dwilliams

Newly Enlightened
Well what would you recommend as far as lumens and reflector go? I have a Blackhawk holster for it and would like to use it as an EDC. Something I can use that will work for self defense.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you want single mode, or a multiple mode drop in? Keep in mind the multi modes are accessed by pressing the tailcap multiple times, which makes the G2 no longer a 'tactical' light.

Dwilliams

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking a 2 mode, one that would start on high then low. Strobe would be pretty handy but probably not necessary.

Mrwunderful

Newly Enlightened
I am partial to the M22. I find that having the setting memory AND the ability to go to High with two quick clicks is a huge feature that I find very handy.

Rafael Jimenez

Enlightened
I also keep livestock and use a Malkoff houndog. Cant go wrong with this. I use 2 aw 18650 batteries and a xstar xp2 charger. This will last many years, lifetime guarantee and first rate customer service. I think there is a houndog in the CPF marketplace now at a good price.

Dwilliams

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys, I purchased a lamp assembly from Arizona Tactical Supply, it's supposed to be 1200 lumens but I don't buy it. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. That SureFire weapons light I bought works awesome!