The Best Christmas Present of them All!

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, around 8 o'clock tonight, the power went out, after flickering off and on three times. Yeeeeeee-hhhhhaaaaaaaa!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif A flashaholic's dream come true, on the end of Christmas! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Things I learned from this power outage:

Have something in your pockets at all time
Immediately when the power went out, I reached for my precious L4 in my right pocket. It was so quick, it was like an instinct. Even I was amazed at my reaction time. I ran out of my room (I was on my computer at the time of the outage) and lit up the whole house. My sister, was freaked out, but the light of my L4 calmed her down. Having anything in your pocket at all time, is better than nothing.

It was really funny… tonight my Grandma came over for dinner. I lit a fire in the fire place, but before doing so, had to check the fire-place flu. Of course it's hard to see up there, and I didn't know if it was open or closed. I whipped out my L4, and saw it was closed, so I used my L4 to see the lever and opened it. My grandma laughed. She knows my dad and I are flashaholics, but to see me with a light in my pocket was funny for her. And tonight, I am very glad I had something in my pocket.

What you'll want to use
Right now, as I'm writing this post in Word on my laptop (the cable modem doesn't have power, so I'm not writing this on CPF). I'm am sitting in the family room with my dad and sister. We are using two things for room illuminating. 1- Dad's Eternalight Elite X-ray. He has it on a low mode. Believe me, this thing in full mode can blind when there is no light. Also on, are 3 out of the 11 5mm LEDs on my dad and my custom LED light box. It operates on 12 volts, from D cell batteries. I would imagine the three resistored LEDs will last quite a long time. The box is sitting on a cabinet, on the other side of the room. Normally, you would think that this would not light up the room, but I can see my dad and my sister's faces just fine.

Any high-output Surefires or spotlights weren't needed at all. A headlamp would be nice, but I think if you have one light in the room you should be fine.

Mom is lying in bed reading. It was difficult at first to find her something to read by. She likes something really bright, so that opted out some of our flashlights. Others were too hard to get to stay still pointed at the page. We tried using some normal book lights that clip on to the book your reading. Mom didn't think they were bright enough, and also she was reading a paper-back book, so it kept tipping it over. What we found works the best, is my dad's DeWalt flexible floodlight, from his power tool set he got yesterday. It runs of off a 14.4V battery (which we have two of). Dad was testing it out last night, and after one hour of use, it was still going, almost at the full brightness. Not bad for an incandescent.

The Funest Part of All
For me, the absolute greatest part of this, is going outside!!! It is PITCH BLACK!!!! Other than an occasional car, you can not see two inches in front of your face and there was almost no moon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You take out any light with you, and it immediately seems really bright. Taking out my UltraStinger and seeing how long it would throw with absolutely no other lights on was impressive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We live on the corner of two streets, and I ran out to the corner on the sidewalk. My L4 lit up the whole house from my position, which was probably only 40-50 feet from the house.

Well, I couldn't have asked for a better Christmas present! I called my grandma who lives near us (she went home before it happened), and she was doing okay… her power was still on. I also called my girlfriend, who was entertaining quite a few guests tonight. The power went off at her place, but came on shortly after. Our power is still out, having been over an hour so far. My girlfriend (being a non-flashaholic) used mostly candles. My dad and I offered to go over to her house and drop off some lights, but she said she could get by with her candles.

Today: Well it's officially no longer Christmas. I went to bed last night around 9, but was awoken by my stereo going into full illuminating, when the power was restored. It came on sometime around 11 or so I would guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I would have to argue that the "Best Christmas Gift Of All" is the one given to us by God. But yours could be a close second!

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheesehead,

"The fat-*******" doesn't visit us. We are jewish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaron,

You're Jewish and you still get the best Christmas present. It's not fair. LOL. Aren't you supposed to have candles going at your house anyway?

Cheese

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Yeah, if I remember right, there are supposed to be 7 candles going on the menorah on December 25 (or 7 flashlights going, if you don't use menorahs).
Happy Haunaka<sp>; after all it is the "festival of lights". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
oh man ... sometimes I really wish the power on Germany wasn't so damned stable ... no real power outages that I can remember except in hospital when the scanner took fire ...
bernhard

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
We did light the Hanukkah candles last night, but when the power went out they had already burned out. We did have two candles going at the table (leftover from dinner). They gave a pretty decent amount of light, but dad said I could blow them out and use just our flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Aren't Hanukkah candles supposed to last 8 days? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the real Hanukkah candles did last 8 days. That is part of the miracle that we celebrate. Nowadays though, most people use regular candles, which burn out in about half an hour. Some people have special oil candles though, which last much longer.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
You know we all "play" with and certainly apprciate our torches...but when the time comes for "real usage" - that's when they are "REALLY APPRECIATED"! Nothing like having the right tool for the right job at the right time!! So you and your Dad were the "Knights in shining armor"!!

Gotta love long running LED torches/room lights as well as a 5 watt handheld, and a headlamp as well! Don't get me started the list will grow!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Happy "HanaRamKwanzMas"!! (No disrespect intended and no amnimals were harmed in the act of posting this note!)

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL!

Sigman, great post. From your post I would assume you have been in a similar situation as me. You really do greately appreciate your light when you put them to some "real usage." I got this great feeling of being prepared.... you just gotta love the feeling.

Headlamps... we don't have any of those yet, but my dad has an eye on one. If I know him, a UPS package addressed to him might show up on the door at some unexpected time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You never know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Happy HanaRamKwanzMas to you too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
Also on, are 3 out of the 11 5mm LEDs on my dad and my custom LED light box. It operates on 12 volts, from D cell batteries. I would imagine the three resistored LEDs will last quite a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to share some of the details of this box? Was it made just for this purpose? Sounds like a good idea!

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The Box"

First of all, I must say, someday when I get some time, I will make a thread about the box, but I guess I can give you a quick summary.

Long story short here.... After the power outages in the eastern US, my dad and I thought we should make something. What we finally came up with, after two production steps, was our own custom 3/5mm LED RUNTIME BOX. It runs off of 8 D cell batteries, for a 12 volt system. It has two seperate circuit.

Circuit A - Three 3mm LEDs on a 12" locline. Medium flood, good for reading by. Super duper runtime.

Circuit B - 2 options
Low - Three 5mm LEDs
High - Eleven 5mm LEDs

Everything is resistored down, for runtime. This box is big for a normal light, and rather heavy, as you can probably imagine with the 8D batteries. However, when the power is out, and it's pitch black, this box is excellent. It has a superb runtime, with a sufficent amount of lighting. Even with just circuit A running, in a medium sized family room, you will be able to see your way around. This amount of light is plenty sufficent if you are going to be without power for a long period of time. Normally you would think that three 3mm LEDs can't light up a room, but actually, IMO, I think they can. Overall, I am very impressed with our project.

Someday, I will make a post. The whole design process and evolution of the project is very interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif