Best Place to Buy Flashlights?

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
Okay, what't the best place to buy flashlights both on-line and brick and mortar? I think the criteria should be selection, price, and customer service.

IMO the best brick and mortar anywhere close is REI. The best on-line that I have found is Brightguy.

Who else has different opinions?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Texas Tactical Supply
Bright guy
Meridian tactical

This guys usually post here, have done deals with both BG and TTS and are really good to deal with. You won`t be dissapointed.

HTH
Alex

ab

Enlightened
Tactical Warehouse is the best I've found.

Really. Dan won't disappoint you.

smile.gif

A.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Gadgetman7,

I am not sure there is a best brick and mortar store. I make a point of checking out the flashlight section of every store I go to. Good selections are found at REI, Fred Meyer, Lowes, Home Base, Wal Mart, ACE Hardware, and sometimes good deals at Costco.

Good on line stores include (but are not limited to) Tactical Warehouse, Bright Guy, Texas Tactical Supply, and TheLEDLight for LED lights.

The third category is the modifications. I have heard good things about most of the people doing modifications (although I would probably do a lot of research before modifying a laser).

Tom

MicroE

Enlightened
I would add one on-line place to those already listed: One Stop Knife Shop

http://www.1sks.com/

Everybody listed so far will give you great service; especially Greg at Brightguy and Dan at Tactical Warehouse.

If you need a brick and mortar in your area you can ask the local police where they buy stuff or check the yellow pages. It is very common for gun/knife/camping shops to carry Surefire, Streamlight, Pelican, and other high-quality lights.---Marc

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a recommendation for "worst place". I've found the local army/navy style surplus stores to win the prize. Ridiculously high prices. Actually, now that I think about it, Rettings gun store in Culver City almost takes the prize away from the surplus stores, except they actually have quite a reasonable selection and of course one can't overlook the firearms.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the worst, I haven´t been burned yet, basically because I check the forum for who the good guys are and deal with them exclusively, I have read horror stories about botach.com but don`t have personal experience with them and I don`t want to risk it either.

HTH
Alex

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best Brick and Mortar's I've been to is definate, in order:

1) REI
2) Fry's Electronics
3) Wal-Mart

I'm disappointed that places like Big 5 Sporting Goods (Western US only) or most (notice I didn't say all) online camping websites usually have pretty crappy selections of flashlights, considering how important a good flashlight is to outdoor adventures...

Dreck

Newly Enlightened
While we're on the subject.....does anyone know of a bricks and mortar Surefire dealer in northern Illinois? I know Surefire stuff is good but I like to fondle my purchases before I actually buy them

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
TTYTT, I don't think I've EVER seen a store carrying SureFire flashlights anywhere... Only place I would think that sells and stocks them directly are your military surplus and gun supply stores... Even here in SF's home state, I can't find a store that stocks SF products...

The day I see Fry's carrying a 10X or M6 is the day bacon becomes a low-fat food...
icon15.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
One of the gun stores here that is NOT known for great prices had e2, e2e, e1 last time I was in for very decent prices. None of the real high buck stuff though.

Last gun show I attended had a guy trying to sell G2s for right around $50... I still don't have one!

Best thing I saw at Frys, which just looks TOO funky for me, was a Lightwave 4000... some of the Pelican stuff ain't bad either! No Surefire or Streamlight though.

Graingers has some rechargable Pelicans in the 2002-03 catalog that are quite interesting. Graingers is NOT the cheapest place to buy anything (example 2AA M!n!m*g with Holster at around 12 bucks) but has some very neat stuff!

Tombeis

Enlightened
Brightguy is also a bricks and mortar store with a large collection of flashlights on display.

Of course, there is also the test area, which is the warehouse with the lights turned out. Does your local bricks and mortar flashlight store offer that convenience?