Which SC52?

Wrecked

Enlightened
I have an SC51 that I use almost every day to walk the dogs or go in the back yard to spot animals and such. Love the light. Just realized that Zebralight has updated their line and I would love an updated version of this great light. However, there are too many versions. I'm not sure which I should be looking at.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Is there a good comparison of all the choices?

Thanks in advance!

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I'd just get the SC52w-L2. It's one of the most recent versions, with neutral white xm-l2 emitter and slightly updated UI and driver compared to the first SC52 model. In my opinion this is all round one of the best single AA lights around at the moment.

Your other options are:
- SC52d: daylight high CRI version. Considerably lower output but supposedly a nice tint. I'd pass on this unless they get a Nichia 219 version.
- SC52 L2: same as recommended but cool white, 5 - 10% higher output. Comes down to taste.
- SC52F-models: same, but with frosted lenses. Nice, but very specific in usage. You're better off having some kind of diffuser handy for the times you have a need for a beam like this.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I'd just get the SC52w-L2. It's one of the most recent versions, with neutral white xm-l2 emitter and slightly updated UI and driver compared to the first SC52 model. In my opinion this is all round one of the best single AA lights around at the moment.

Your other options are:
- SC52d: daylight high CRI version. Considerably lower output but supposedly a nice tint. I'd pass on this unless they get a Nichia 219 version.
- SC52 L2: same as recommended but cool white, 5 - 10% higher output. Comes down to taste.
- SC52F-models: same, but with frosted lenses. Nice, but very specific in usage. You're better off having some kind of diffuser handy for the times you have a need for a beam like this.

Agree with all this. The SC52d is a nice tint, but just not worth it IMO...even as a tint snob! Assuming your SC51 is the cool white, you may be happy with the SC52. But I like neutral whites so I went with the SC52w.

Wrecked

Enlightened
Since I'm don't care much about the tints, it looks like the SC52 L2 is the right one for me. Where do you buy, straight from ZL?

jeveux

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone comment on the new side switch for the sc52 L2 ( which I understand to be softer and easier to accidentally activate)?

holygeez03

Enlightened
I believe I have experienced both ZL switch types, although it's all relative and very difficult to describe the feeling of a switch in writing... with that disclaimer, I don't think there is that much difference between the two unless you have them side by side or are very familiar with one type of switch and then try the other... I don't think the "softer" switch would be noticeably easier to activate in the pocket since it is still the smaller, more recessed switch... certainly nothing like the SC51 switch that was very easy to activate and kept me from ever considering the light an EDC (I know it can be locked out).

You may want to consider this an opportunity to try a neutral tint... it will be nearly impossible to detect the slight loss in lumens and you may find that it greatly increase your enjoyment while walking your dog (especially if you walk near any grass/flowers/foliage). When I let my dog out for his final bathroom break of the night, I usually grab my old Neutron 1A/14500 that has a very warm, incandescent-like tint that makes me happy before bedtime.

Before you make your final decision, you may also want to consider the SC62w... unless you absolutely want the AA format or need it to be as small as possible. It is not much bigger than the SC52 and has a massive increase in output on high, or you can use it at the more reasonable 326 lumen mode for over 3 hours... I own a SC52w, H52Fw, and SC62w and use them all regularly for different purposes/environments.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Since I'm don't care much about the tints, it looks like the SC52 L2 is the right one for me. Where do you buy, straight from ZL?

I believe Illumination Supply (Illumn) carries the SC52, SC52w, and SC62w... and there is a discount code provided right on there homepage that gives 15% off. I can't promise, but I would think that's the best deal going?

markr6

Flashaholic
Can anyone comment on the new side switch for the sc52 L2 ( which I understand to be softer and easier to accidentally activate)?

The new SC52w and SC62w I just purchased have the exact same switch - clicky sound and nice firm feel. But that's really up to chance. Their switch supplier(s) are not consistent and some are soft and silent when clicking like my SC62d. I have a few lights like this and they're OK, but not as nice IMO.

But you can get one that is TOO SOFT and it really makes double clicking more difficult.

markr6

Flashaholic
No doubt. Although not the sexiest, ZL lights are high quality.

I originally hated the look, color, design of them...but finally gave in because they're simply the best size, runtime, and most importantly UI for me. Took me a long time to realize function over form. I actually like the aesthetics of them now and the darker anodizing.

And cover your head for incoming comments arguing "high quality" in 3...2...1...

Wrecked

Enlightened
After seeing someone's torture test of the SC51 a few years back I became a believer in the quality. Plus, mine has been flawless. However, I'm sure there are other opinions.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Like most Zebralight owners it's the combination of UI and compactness that I really like, plus they've got great beam patterns.

For some reason I've never been able to enjoy carrying one, but rather make myself use them from time to time since I like them so much for the above mentioned reasons. I almost chimed in and suggested avoiding the SC52 since the one I have has a tint that is unbearable for me and I'm kind of glad that I didn't now, as it appears it may be the perfect tint for you and I'm looking forward to reading your take when it shows up.

The last couple nights I've carried my SC52 and a loaner SC62d and have been really liking the tint from the latter, a lot.

Maybe I'll try ordering a different version of the SC52 myself at some point.

markr6

Flashaholic
Like most Zebralight owners it's the combination of UI and compactness that I really like, plus they've got great beam patterns.

For some reason I've never been able to enjoy carrying one, but rather make myself use them from time to time since I like them so much for the above mentioned reasons. I almost chimed in and suggested avoiding the SC52 since the one I have has a tint that is unbearable for me and I'm kind of glad that I didn't now, as it appears it may be the perfect tint for you and I'm looking forward to reading your take when it shows up.

The last couple nights I've carried my SC52 and a loaner SC62d and have been really liking the tint from the latter, a lot.

Maybe I'll try ordering a different version of the SC52 myself at some point.

I definitely had a unbearable SC52w tint. Totally GREEN. But it's important not to blame tint on the specific model alone. I've tried four different SC52w torches and they were ALL different. My latest is a total keeper. It is borderline Nichia 219 quality!!! Seriously, it's that good even for a tint snob like me. Well, not in terms of CRI, but the temp is spot on.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I definitely had a unbearable SC52w tint. Totally GREEN. But it's important not to blame tint on the specific model alone. I've tried four different SC52w torches and they were ALL different. My latest is a total keeper. It is borderline Nichia 219 quality!!! Seriously, it's that good even for a tint snob like me. Well, not in terms of CRI, but the temp is spot on.
That makes me want to try for one now!

Or could you use an ice cold SC52 for the 219'ish one?????