250W LED Dimmer

JCMEnergy

Newly Enlightened
Hi
I hope this is the right forum. I have a 18 bulb chandelier with FEIT Conserv Energy 9.5watt LED bulbs (Item 144799). I need a dimmer switch that can handle the load (171w). Most LED dimmers handle 150watt. No 250 watt LED dimmer is compatible with these bulbs as far as I can tell from: http://www.feit.com/Dimmer_Compatibility
Lutron makes a 250 watt LED dimmer. That is the same model as some of the others on the FEIT compatibility page but is 250w where as they are 150w.
Question; I am guessing I could just use the Lutron 250 Watt dimmer and I would be fine even though it is not on the compatibility list. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks for your help

inetdog

Enlightened
I would just run two dimmers to two symmetric subsets of the bulbs in the chandelier.

lyyyghtey

Newly Enlightened
I would just run two dimmers to two symmetric subsets of the bulbs in the chandelier.

It could be that the compatibility chart is based on just one connected lamp. Larger dimmers typically have higher holding current needs than smaller so may not qualify based on just one lamp. But with 18 the minimum load is a lot higher and it might work great. Also manufacturers probably don't have time to test all the possible bulb/dimmer combos so it stands to reason they may focus on the more common dimmers (the typical 150W size).

Also I've found that just about every LED bulb/dimmer combination performs a little (sometimes a lot) different from every other. You almost have to try it to know how it will work. With the larger dimmers though that may not be a cheap proposition.:(

You might try contacting the manufacturer to see if they can provide further guidance.

Last edited:

BLH

Newly Enlightened
Will Repetitive Peak and Inrush Currents have to be considered?

I have dimmable LED bulbs that give a wattage figure to use when adding up loads on a dimmer.

Like my LSG Definity 8.5 watt LED Bulbs. Say count each one as an 80 watt load when adding up the loads on a dimmer. Due to their Repetitive Peak and Inrush Currents

SemiMan

Banned
Will Repetitive Peak and Inrush Currents have to be considered?

I have dimmable LED bulbs that give a wattage figure to use when adding up loads on a dimmer.

Like my LSG Definity 8.5 watt LED Bulbs. Say count each one as an 80 watt load when adding up the loads on a dimmer. Due to their Repetitive Peak and Inrush Currents

Bingo BLH.

The wattage rating on a dimmer for LEDs is almost meaningless, but then again, I would likely say the thing about most dimmer manufacturers understanding of Triac current ratings as well so it makes the whole exercise a meaningless crap shoot and is mainly CYA (cover your ***) ... especially when you compound it with TRIAC MFRs not even specing the Triac with waveforms that look anything like repetitive peak currents.

As you found out with LSG, they "estimate" it to be equivalent to an 80W load, but that is based purely on "peak" repetitive current and equating that to a bulb. Except the LEDs peak lasts 100's of microseconds, where the repetitive peak for an incandescent is much longer, especially since the temp does not really change cycle to cycle and hence the repetitive peak look more resistive. They don't even look at cycle-cycle I-squared-T ... i.e. how much energy would be dissipated in the Triac.

Of course, some LED units will have low repetitive peak current and some will have high and you have no way of knowing as it is generally not published.

Take the higher wattage dimmer ... sleep easy at night, cause the LED puts less stress on the dimmer than they are credited with ... but if you are only using one or two LED lamps, pick the low wattage dimmer. It has lower hold currents on the triac and is less likely to flicker.

Semiman