New light design - how to start .....?

lucca brassi

Enlightened
I like to hear your opinion :

If you have an idea to start to made a new diving torch and you made a few prototypes .... and eventualy earn some money in future ( not to be rich... :eek: be real) .... how would you start ?

Still is here some story with Barbolight and Archon with all unwanted consequences....

- probably to test it , write decent test , put some video na youtube

- kickstarter ? then you have to present all details without to have your back covered

- offer to instructors with reputation ?

- offer to some company with reputation then then how to approach ?

I work in lab for automotive industry ... I know problems with enforcement of a new product .....problems , problems, problems and alot of money needed . From internet I can imagine what
happen also on global net between diving light producers thats why so many concerns ..... and finally not to fall out too stupid :fail:

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, it seems that short of patents and lawyers and lots of money, there are two ways to beat the pirates and copycats -

1. Offer services they can't, like customization, local language skills, etc.

2. Aim at a niche market that is so small they don't want to compete with you.

High quality and good reputation will always win you a portion of any market, so long as your price is reasonable. But quality and reputation are expensive, so trying to keep the price reasonable is very hard.

lucca brassi

Enlightened
If I go with prototypes I'll probably stay at point '' lighthead with EO connector '' or ''lighthead with raw cable '' and provide services to upgrade a light ( and repair if necessary )

Because it is not complete light (avoiding a battery tank - but at the same time keep lighthead compatible ) I think it is possible also to keep production costs lower in that way . But still only EO cord costs 55€ +/-

without post cost.

( still that is my hobby money - more money for lights /less for diving ) . I'm agree with you .

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing is ... where do you want to be in the dive light industry?

a. There is and there will be always a place for small local manufacturers, with high prices and excellent and close service.

b. There is a place for companies selling cheap products mostly by the internet with no service at all. If they have some quality they can be serious contenders They won't have the "cool factor" some divers need, and they are not backed the responsibility some other divers want. But they do the job for little money. For this companies is as easy as reverse engineering a successful light and to flood the market with it at bargain prices. I don't buy copies, but some other people don't care, or just don't know.

c. Finally, there is a third way, for real manufacturers based in EU or USA which have agreements with distributors, who will take care of the CS, but in that case you need to be really efficient and cut down the prices, because the big networks have an important cost which will be added to the end user price, and if you are expensive you won't sell anyway, no matter who is your distributor. This "cut down" means usually outsourcing from China with all the risk invalided.

So, is not an easy job, in fact is quite hard. And if you learn from my experience you should be very careful with some chinese companies... and not even from the outsourcing point of view, but also from disclosing your information.

lucca brassi

Enlightened
Well , thanks for your answer ...you are right. In fact more or less I like to prove myself that I can do an advanced design. I think best way it is to made some prototypes and test them.

Annoying is the search for components to book them and wait . Maybe at the moment best target is local diving club or divers in Slovenia and get GO/NOGO answer

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your friends will always tell you to GO... make a proper market research, a basic business plan and all what it takes. You know a poor plan is better than no plan at all.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Honey, does this light make me look fat?":(

Barbarin is right, your friends won't always tell you the truth. Better to give one to someone like Packhorse who will be more objective.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man! Do I really have to evaluate another dive light? Hmm. OK send it over!

I didn't say you have to do it! I'm sure if the OP checked the other forums, there are two, maybe three others who are qualified and willing to do it. God, maybe there are even more!

:bow: Sorry, Packhorse, didn't mean to insult you. I didn't say 'equally' qualified. Just trying to keep the field open!