Can someone assist in finding a replacement bulb?

BJH75

Newly Enlightened
This bulb is for a nightlight clock that is powered by standard 120v home power.

Best I can tell from the markings on the bulb and the specs on the clock, this is what I need:

6v/100ma E10:

http://www.rapidonline.com/electronic-components/6v-100ma-miniature-mes-lamp-41-0136

Problem is I can't find anyplace in the US that sells these, so I'd pay 32x the price of the bulb in shipping alone.

Is there a more commonly available bulb that will work within these tolerances? Or an LED replacement?

Appreciate any assistance!

BJH75

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF

You can find incand or LED on ebay. Just type E10 bulb.

Yes, I can find the bulb on ebay as well...from UK sellers who charge $1 of more for the bulb and then $5-8 shipping.

The fact is these (and similar) bulbs cost less than a quarter from many online stores, hardware stores, etc.

It's just that this specific E10 bulb (6v/100ma) isn't available from anyone for a reasonable price (I don't consider $6-$8 a reasonable price for a bulb that costs a quarter).

So, what I am asking - is there a different voltage/amperage/wattage that could be substituted and work safely? I can likely find a more common bulb for less than a dollar locally, if I knew what might work.

Thank you.

Conte

Enlightened
Well, you could probably go a bit higher in voltage if you don't mind it being dimmer, you could not go lower.

Wattage is relative to the voltage ampera ratio.
Wattage is volts x amps.

You could probably safely go up to a 500ma bulb, you would have to use your judgement if anything would melt, you also risk it being a touch to bright for a night light.

One question that comes to mind, is how long did the last bulb last ?
If it lasted a very long time, it might be worth spending the extra money cause you know you'll get your moneys worth out of it.

If it did not last very long, and you plan to keep the night light, then you can simply offset the shipping cost by buying many bulbs.

I'm just brain storming here. There really isn't many options unless you have the electronic skills to mod the light to take a different bulb.
In which case you could probably wire a few 5mm white leds together and then call it a day.

BJH75

Newly Enlightened
Well, you could probably go a bit higher in voltage if you don't mind it being dimmer, you could not go lower.

Wattage is relative to the voltage ampera ratio.
Wattage is volts x amps.

You could probably safely go up to a 500ma bulb, you would have to use your judgement if anything would melt, you also risk it being a touch to bright for a night light.

One question that comes to mind, is how long did the last bulb last ?
If it lasted a very long time, it might be worth spending the extra money cause you know you'll get your moneys worth out of it.

If it did not last very long, and you plan to keep the night light, then you can simply offset the shipping cost by buying many bulbs.

I'm just brain storming here. There really isn't many options unless you have the electronic skills to mod the light to take a different bulb.
In which case you could probably wire a few 5mm white leds together and then call it a day.

Thanks Conte -

Yeah, while I have no problem looking up the formula for watts/volts/amps, etc... I haven't really found a good primer that was explaining to me what varying those values actually means from an electrical standpoint (other than how they influence the other numbers). I was hoping that there were certain tolerances I could stay within - or if I raised the amperage for instance, i could lower the voltage, etc. I'm just not really sure about the technical pieces behind it.

Unfortunately, we inherited the clock with a bad bulb - so I'm not sure how long it lasted.

I see a lot of these mini bulbs are rated for say 5-10 hours or something...so even at 5 minutes a day it sounds like I would go through a few a year?

If that's the case, and I can replace it with a slightly more expensive LED bulb I would do that.... are LED bulbs rated the same or is there one that would work for a range of specifications?

thanks for your assistance!

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
This bulb is for a nightlight clock that is powered by standard 120v home power.

Best I can tell from the markings on the bulb and the specs on the clock, this is what I need:

6v/100ma E10:

http://www.rapidonline.com/electronic-components/6v-100ma-miniature-mes-lamp-41-0136

Problem is I can't find anyplace in the US that sells these, so I'd pay 32x the price of the bulb in shipping alone.

Is there a more commonly available bulb that will work within these tolerances? Or an LED replacement?

Appreciate any assistance!

Hello BJH75, I'm 99.99% sure have have plenty of those bulbs at work. I'll be back at work on Monday so I will take a look then.

If they are the correct type, I'll post a few of them to you at no charge.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a few E 10 lamps but only found one that is close to 100ma. GE1483, 6v, 400ma. This one should work just fine but will it be to brite?

I don't consider $6-$8 a reasonable price for a bulb that costs a quarter.

I don't think brightness is the main problem.

I'll post a few of them to you at no charge.

I hope this will solve the problem.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
6 V 100 mAh?
should be in most any cheapo bike taillight that still has a bulb inside.
Maybe ask at Your local bike shop

(in case You dont want a few bulbs sent by duq)