Any danger in mixing different generations of eneloop batteries?

Lion of Zion

Newly Enlightened
Looked for an answer to this question, but could not find one.

Is there any danger in mixing different generations of eneloop batteries in flashlights or other equipment? Also is there any problem recharging different generations at the same time? I use a La Crosse charger.

Thanks for any help!!!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looked for an answer to this question, but could not find one.

Is there any danger in mixing different generations of eneloop batteries in flashlights or other equipment? Also is there any problem recharging different generations at the same time? I use a La Crosse charger.

Thanks for any help!!!

We generally want to match cells by capacities and voltages.

If you have Gen. 2 Eneloop AAs and Gen. 3 Eneloops AAs, you can use them in multi-battery lights if they're well matched, say using your LC BC-xxx charger to figure out their capacities and then go from there.

If you're not sure, you're probably better off not mixing them, as the weaker ones might get 'reverse charged' by the stronger ones, as they get used in a device.

Chris

Lion of Zion

Newly Enlightened
We generally want to match cells by capacities and voltages.

If you have Gen. 2 Eneloop AAs and Gen. 3 Eneloops AAs, you can use them in multi-battery lights if they're well matched, say using your LC BC-xxx charger to figure out their capacities and then go from there.

If you're not sure, you're probably better off not mixing them, as the weaker ones might get 'reverse charged' by the stronger ones, as they get used in a device.

Chris

Thank you!!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There probably isn't any risk. I recently tested the capacity of some 8-year old gen 1 Eneloops against some fairly new gen 3 Eneloops. They both had the same capacity! (Tested at a 2 amp discharge.) I couldn't believe that an 8-year old cell would hold up so well.

Illum

Flashaholic
not much "danger" but a bit "hazardous"

older cells have lower capacity and higher series resistance. Mixing cells will prevent your new cells from performing like new cells. If your load is inductive in nature you'll notice your old cells gets hotter faster. When the old cell depletes its liable to get "killed" by the cells in series [charging it backwards] under load. If your device notifies you of low battery and you toss the entire set [new and old] into a "dumb" charger, your new cells will overcharge while your old cell's taking its break happily.

I've been mixing eneloops since eneloops came about [not intentionally, but never found a good way to run inventory] and has not ran into any problems. However, my loads are typically 0.5C or less, or about 200mA to 1000mA per battery pack

Last edited: