• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

A question about the Haiku vs Mule vs SunDrop XR-U

Leithan

Newly Enlightened
I apologize if this has been answered before, but reading the descriptions am I correct in inferring that the Haiku is more of a thrower, the Mule = Flood, and the SunDrop XR-U is floody with a bit of throw? Most of the lights I own are kind of throwey and are hard to use up close which is where I find myself using my flashlights the most. So if I was looking for a light that had good up close, hot-spotless light with a bit of reach, then the SunDrop would be the light I'm looking for?

nbp

Flashaholic
Yes, you are correct.

What is the distance you're looking at using it for? I personally prefer the Mule's perfect, artifact free beam. The throw is marginally better on the SunDrop, but at the expense of some beam quality.

archimedes

Flashaholic
....So if I was looking for a light that had good up close, hot-spotless light with a bit of reach, then the SunDrop would be the light I'm looking for?

... a perfect description of the SunDrop, actually, I'd say :)

The SunDrop is one of my personal favorites !

Leithan

Newly Enlightened
What's marginal? I would mostly be using it to light up dark rooms, illuminate stuff at reading distance and searching the ground no more then 10 to 15 feet in front of me. Is the mule a better choice for these situations then the SunDrop? Thank you for the help and suggestions.

nbp

Flashaholic
<10 ft I'd probably rather use a Mule. But I'm a sucker for a pretty beam. ;)

darkangel55555

Newly Enlightened
Mule for work at arm's length, Sundrop out to 20', and Haiku beyond that, or if working in crawlspaces where I don't want to be dazzled by reflections close by.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
The Sundrop is pretty much a unique type of beam. I haven't come across it in any other light. There are a few more mule options although not many, and the Haiku, while done at perfection is a "regular" flashlight.
For me, the Sundrop is the most interesting. There's a few videos on youtube that show the type of beam, but the wideness of the beam is quite different between the regular Sundrop and the Sundrop XR-U. The XR-U is a bit more narrow.
Here's a comparison I found against the Surefire E1B, which is somewhat similar to the Haiku for type of beam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_KYXjup-Lk

Leithan

Newly Enlightened
Thank you TweekMDS, that's perfect. I carry either an E1B or E2L now. The SunDrop XR-U looks exactly like what I need. And I agree, it has a very unique beam. Thank you guys for all the help! Now to start saving my pennies.