Playing around with a new Agilent bench meter during Lithium cell charge

BVH

Flashaholic
Just having some fun and learning how to use my new 6.5 digit bench DMM. It's an Agilent 34461A with a fresh traceable calibration certificate showing that 4 digits right of the Decimal is absolutely accurate. The 5th and 6th digits could have some error. This is a Trend Plot of a battery charge using a FMA Revolutrix Dual Power Lab 8, 2800 Watt hobby charger. The pics are a 1-minute screen shot at about 25 mAh before termination. The cell is a 350 mAh 10440 and the charge rate was initially set at 185 mAh. Termination was set to C/20. The charge appears to be pulsed at about 2 pulses per second and as fast as my meter caught it, it doesn't show the Voltage falling to 0, just fluctuating about 22 mV between high and low. I'm fairly sure I could have set my meter to read faster but forgot to try doing it. This might have shown a greater difference between the high and low Voltage readings. Second shot shows 45 seconds after termination.

HKJ

Flashaholic
With that DMM you can do up to 1000 measurements each second ;)
You must also try connecting it to a computer, with the right software you can log measurements. These meters can also be 100% controlled from the computer, the computer connection can change any setting in the DMM.

IonicBond

Enlightened
Wow. Now THAT is what I call appropriate for li-ion battery maintenance!

I had to see more though and took a look at the video on Dave's EEVblog #489. I want one!

BVH

Flashaholic
Yeah, Daves Video synched it for me. Now I want an oscilloscope - don't have a use for one but it would be fun to have.

HK - I've got it connected via USB for the local access and control program and also via LAN for the web based connection program. Resolution goes up to 8.5 digits when viewed from the PC. It will do lots of stuff I still have to learn about.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's one nice meter. Hope you put it to good use, have lots of fun with it, or hopefully both.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
That meter is a very decent choice for measuring the IR of batteries. Far more useful than measuring charging values. With it's 4 wire measurement capability the device can measure down to 10 mega ohm. Applied correctly it can be a very useful tool. I use the HP version and the Keysight isn't bad either. Very nice to bench mark new batteries. A tool very few have access to.

BVH

Flashaholic
I was wondering about measuring cell and battery IR. I have the Keysight 4-wire Kelvin probe/clip set. So even though there's Voltage present in each cell, I can just "Ohm" them as I would a resistor? The Voltage won't affect the reading nor damage the meter?