Installing Phillips Daylight 8 LED DLRs in a 2000 Buick Century.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elagache

Newly Enlightened
This posting has been deleted

Last edited by a moderator:

elagache

Newly Enlightened
Will keep the OEM DLRs (Re: Phillips Daylight 8 LED DLRs in a 2000 Buick Century.)

Deleted post

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Will keep the OEM DLRs (Re: Phillips Daylight 8 LED DLRs in a 2000 Buick Century.

DThe Phillips LEDs are mounted so low and out of the way that only observers seeing the whole front of the car can see them. That is what I wanted because my experience on the road is that the LED daytime running lights greatly improve the visibility of your car at longer distances.

That long of a distance probably is meaningless in the terms of accident prevention. You're just adding glare (and yes, even in the daytime, glare is an important issue to consider).

Conventional incandescent lights are effective for shorter distances.
They're effective for the distances that they are designed for.

So the scheme here is to leave the OEM DLRs for pedestrians, cyclists, and cross-traffic, while the Phillips DLRs serve to "announce" the car to vehicles traveling parallel to the road I'm on.

The scheme here seems to be to second-guess the intent of the designers, and the function of the factory lamps. If the Philips LEDs are mounted properly, they will be able to perform the DRL function by themselves.

elagache

Newly Enlightened
Technology does advance (Re: Phillips Daylight 8 LED DLRs in a 2000 Buick Century.)

Deleted posting

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Technology does advance (Re: Phillips Daylight 8 LED DLRs in a 2000 Buick Centur

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind, LED daytime running lights greatly improve the visibility of your car.
The type of light emitter doesn't enter the question. DRLs have specific maxima and minima at specific test points. How this is achieved is up to the designer.
There are bad DRLs and good DRLs of various light sources that still meet the specifications.

The key situation where this is important is when you live in a location with a lot of tall trees leading to frequent patches of shade and sunlight on the road. In situations like this, the LED daytime running lights allow the observer to see a vehicle that is in the shade when it might be otherwise difficult to spot.
Their halogen or turn-signal based DRLs will perform the same function. There's also a point where the distance between the cars is great enough that the extra warning is unwarranted, even if it is appreciated, and again, this contributes to daytime glare.

Incandescent daytime running lights suffer from limited range and the 2000 Buick Century daytime running lights perform very poorly in our region. This was easy enough to verify by observing other Century cars in the region.
Observing in the 'personal' sense, not in the scientific sense with actual measurements with actual test equipment. Perhaps your own expectations or apprehensions of the function and performance of the DRLs are out of alignment with the real function and performance.

Given that we must have polarized sunglasses to cope with the sunshine, this is a very dangerous situation. Admittedly this isn't the sort of driving situation found all over the world, but it is very common in my local area, so I'm attempting to deal with it.
These conditions exist in MANY places throughout the US.

After all, in 2000 LED daytime running lights didn't exist for Buick to install. Fast forward to 2014 and what is Buick doing?
Because it's:
Trendy
Results in lower maintenance (fewer bulb replacements)
Results in slightly higher fuel efficiency due to lower electrical loads

[IMG]http://www.buick.com/content/dam/Buick/north_america/usa/nscwebsite/en/home/models/view_all_vehicles/current_vehicles/2014_lacrosse/lacrosse_mov/01_images/exterior/2014-buick-lacrosse-model-overview-exterior-938x528-14BULA00093.jpg[/IMG]
Please don't hotlink images. To do so is a violation of CPF Rule #3.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Re: Will keep the OEM DLRs (Re: Phillips Daylight 8 LED DLRs in a 2000 Buick Century.

LED daytime running lights greatly improve the visibility of your car at longer distances. Conventional incandescent lights are effective for shorter distances.

That's not actually true. Intensity is what determines visibility distance of the lamp. Not whether it's got an LED or an incandescent light source.

Since on the Buick Century the OEM daytime running lights are mounted much higher on the car, they have a greater all around visibility.

That is true, which kind of makes me wonder why you went to the expense and trouble of putting in another set of DRLs.

So the scheme here is to leave the OEM DLRs for pedestrians, cyclists, and cross-traffic, while the Phillips DLRs serve to "announce" the car to vehicles traveling parallel to the road I'm on.

It just doesn't work the way you imagine. Also, you keep saying "DLR". That doesn't stand for anything. The abbreviation you mean is "DRL", which stands for Daytime Running Lamp (or Light).

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Re: Technology does advance (Re: Phillips Daylight 8 LED DLRs in a 2000 Buick Centur

Well now isn't that a presumption on - your - part?

I don't see any presumption. Neither the factory (steady-burning incandescent turn signal) DRLs nor the Philips DRLs you installed will produce a problematic level of glare, and you haven't created any real safety problem by installing a second set of DRLs, but neither have you necessarily improved the effective conspicuity of the car. In short, you aren't hurting anything, but probably also not helping anything.

I have spent a lot of time watching other cars before I decided to do this upgrade. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind

Careful, there. We (human beings) are not good at accurately assessing how well we can/can't see. It's a limitation of the human machine's hardware and software. We are very good at being certain, but very bad at being right when we make judgment calls on matters like this.

Incandescent daytime running lights suffer from limited range

This just is not the case. It's just not true.

the 2000 Buick Century daytime running lights perform very poorly in our region. This was easy enough to verify by observing other Century cars in the region.

No, it would only be verifiable by comparing the rate at which those cars are involved in DRL-relevant crashes in your region vs. other regions. Yours is not a verification, it's just a guess.

Given that we must have polarized sunglasses to cope with the sunshine, this is a very dangerous situation.

Polarized sunglasses have nothing to do with the performance of DRLs.

Admittedly this isn't the sort of driving situation found all over the world,

You don't mention where you are, but "tall trees and frequent patches of shade and sunlight" is not an uncommon or unusual environment to be driving in. It really looks like you are starting with guesses, stacking assumptions on top of them, and thereby arriving at conclusions that don't have any grounding in objective reality, but do align with your pre-existing desires and opinions. In this case, again, what you've done isn't going to cause a problem, but it's also not going to give you the extra safety you think you're getting, and that, in turn, can easily reduce your actual safety through unintentional risk compensation.

[HOTLINKED IMAGE REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

Don't do this again, please. It's against the rules.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
elagache said:
Post deleted by author due to negative reaction to it.

Oh, now that's just silly. Or maybe it's sad. Or both. Flouncing like this is certainly not very adult.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys might get better results by using a gentler approach and educating folks on what reality is, vs. tag-teaming the poor newcomers, picking apart their posts and telling them point by point just how wrong they are. More flies with honey than vinegar and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.