Mod to reduce "spill light" on spotlight ?

the_dragon_no1

Newly Enlightened
Is there any diy mods out there to reduce some spill light on my spotlight ?
Or is the reflector the only thing that matters here / have to be changed?

Searched google and here, but not much to find :/ maybe I'm searching wrong. Hmm.

The light i wanna reduce it on, is a "3000" lumen canister scuba led light. 3x cree(something) i belive it is.

For those wondering why, it's because in murky waters to much spill light will kill the visibility for the one using the light.

061a77a35dbd5ea88bb598089b96e175.jpg

Thanks!

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
for start you can swich XML with XPG2

That will increase hotspot intensity, and might reduce the brightness of the spill (after all, the light will be substantially dimmer overall with XP-G2), but spill is pretty much determined by the reflector(s). Changing to optics could make a dramatic difference, but you would have to custom order that...and it would be very expensive to do. Better to just buy a new light, that doesn't have three separate LEDs. They more emitters/reflectors you have, generally speaking, the more spill. All the best throw lights have only one emitter.

industriemechaniker

Newly Enlightened
You could place some shields over the emitters sitting on top of a kind of miniature tripod mounted to the outer plastic ring of the emitters.
The spill is generated by direct radiation of the emitters, that doesn't get reflected by the reflector.
Those shields could be soldered of a piece of tin cut out of a beer can and thin wire.

the_dragon_no1

Newly Enlightened
You could place some shields over the emitters sitting on top of a kind of miniature tripod mounted to the outer plastic ring of the emitters.
The spill is generated by direct radiation of the emitters, that doesn't get reflected by the reflector.
Those shields could be soldered of a piece of tin cut out of a beer can and thin wire.
Interesting..! These shields would be around same size as the emitters, or? Apox distance from the emitters ?

the_dragon_no1

Newly Enlightened
That will increase hotspot intensity, and might reduce the brightness of the spill (after all, the light will be substantially dimmer overall with XP-G2), but spill is pretty much determined by the reflector(s). Changing to optics could make a dramatic difference, but you would have to custom order that...and it would be very expensive to do. Better to just buy a new light, that doesn't have three separate LEDs. They more emitters/reflectors you have, generally speaking, the more spill. All the best throw lights have only one emitter.

Thanks.. I'll looks into changing them out. been looking for good reflectors for 3x leds for ages, and tryed a few.. but non is to good for scuba diving... not seen much good optics on the web either. . But i hear what your saying about number of emitters. . Miiiight change out the whole module for a single emitter.. any good recommendation that will put out around 3000 lumens ?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.. I'll looks into changing them out. been looking for good reflectors for 3x leds for ages, and tryed a few.. but non is to good for scuba diving... not seen much good optics on the web either. . But i hear what your saying about number of emitters. . Miiiight change out the whole module for a single emitter.. any good recommendation that will put out around 3000 lumens ?

As far as I know, assuming you want to stick with LEDs, the only emitter that can get you to 3000 lumens is Cree's MT-G2. But that emitter is huge, and will still have plenty of spill, especially given the relatively small/shallow reflector. I'd be willing to bet that the light you have doesn't actually do anywhere near 3000 lumens, though. Many generic lights are vastly overrated. How many batteries does it use, or is it a proprietary battery pack? Hard to tell from the picture you provided...

the_dragon_no1

Newly Enlightened
Allright. . Yeah sorry it was supose to be "3000" lumens ;)
I know these cheap lights dont produce to much...

Guess it all comes down to focusing the light/optics...
Or, i know it does... seeing the new Halcyon dive light. . "900"something lumens, and can be compared to high end hid lights regarding lux and degrees of the light / spill.

I just find it abit strange that there isnt any good consumer optics out there, when clearly, its possible to get a narrow tight light from leds. (Into a relatively small light head)