Medium or large powerful torch

Brightspark1

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've been looking at buying my first torch and hoping for a little help. From what I've read the Armytek Barracuda gets a good rap, but I'm not sure if it's best for me.
I'm after something super bright, with a low power function that will last for at long night bush walk. A red filter would be nice, not essential.
Don't mind what batteries, rechargeable is a plus.
around $200, less is obviously better.
not bigger than 300mm

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
__x__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____Up to $200.

3) Format:
____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.

5) Emitter/Light source:
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

__y__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
__y__I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

__y__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.
Note: does this destroy battery life?

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
____Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any switch will do.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Other, please specify___ a "nice" finish would be preferred _________.

15) Water resistance
____None needed

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision). This would be nice but not essential

thanks guys :)

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many from the Fenix range will meet your demands,you can make filters dead easy if you cannot find any.

cistallus

Enlightened
EagleTac SX25L3, kit version - the kit version comes with a filter kit, and with both a switch on the side and on the tail. Very bright, good flood/spill but some throw, can use disposable or rechargeable batteries. Selfbuilt's review: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?366902
Suggest also getting rechargeable batteries (18650) and a good simple charger like the Intellicharger i4.

matt4350

Enlightened
Another Eagletac recommendation - you'll get plenty of runtime with their SX25L2, and you won't have to pay for batteries. You could also check out jayrob's custom mags, very good runtime if you're prepared to carry something a bit bigger.

Bob Damon

Enlightened
I agree with the Eagletac, they are great. I have several. You can also check the Sunwayman F40A. It has white and red LEDs and is a new model, just a few months old.

Brightspark1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your responses. I've had a look at the Eagletac suggestions. I prefer the "classic?" build of the SX25L2 Turbo. still looking into other Eagletac torches. I haven't found a Fenix I've liked yet.

if buying online, where is the most reliable place to go? Posting to Aus

ven

Flashaholic
Check out the olight sr52 or sr52vn(breathed on by vinh) makes an excellent light,great size,eats 3x 18650 cells but compact too.Also ability to charge in house.Filter wise get measurement of head and see what's available out there or even make your own.

good luck:thumbsup:

radiopej

Enlightened
Olight Warrior series are pretty good. I have the M20-X. The diffuser gives you a perfect walking beam but it pops right off for good throw. The M21 and M22 are even more powerful. Great UI and you can get filters :)

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
You might check out the Thrunite TN32. It's got a great magnetic control ring, six levels and (of course) strobe. Great throw, large hotspot and good spill. $180

matt4350

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your responses. I've had a look at the Eagletac suggestions. I prefer the "classic?" build of the SX25L2 Turbo. still looking into other Eagletac torches. I haven't found a Fenix I've liked yet.

if buying online, where is the most reliable place to go? Posting to Aus

I use the SX25L2 with a turbo head for work, got it from ledtorches or ledtorchshop (both in Aus), forget which one. If you want the turbo head it'll likely put you 20 bucks or so over budget, but even without the turbo head I still wouldn't think you'd be left wanting. I've bought from both these dealers, no problems but you might wanna check they actually have it in stock before you order. By buying it from an Aus dealer you'll get the recharging system designed for our plugs, instead of having to muck around with an adapter.

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
I've had the MX25L3 with the MT-G2 emitter. I got the kit version.

I use it several hours every week for walking and have had it since May.

It is a fantastic light. I carry it on my belt. I'm sure the SX model is great also.

Brightspark1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to go with the Eagletac Sx25l2 turbo with the filter kit.
now just where to find one!
will update when I've received it :)

Latest posts