2xAAA Pen for Reading/Kubotan/Headlamp; best vaule; price/quality performance ratio?

theilluminati

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I only know the FourSevens brand which may be upscale (or I don't know). I wonder if you have any other recommendations? I guess in practice I'll more often will use the light for reading when there is no electricity, than to blind or hit the enemy (2nd use case); hence an accessory headband would be nice. So, it's nice if it runs for many hours in low level mode for reading purposes.

I searched Google and could not find the answer: should I use normal or Pro Eneloop AAAs with it?

Thanks!

Edit: It doesn't have to resemble a pen, just be a 2xAAA kubotan.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have two of these, one neutral (I really like) and one cool white. I would like it more, if I didn't have the Neutral white to compare it to. Unfortunately it is only currently offered in cool white. That however may be your preference.

CQG 2AAA CREE XP-G2 R5 CW 2xAA EDC LED Flashlight

Some of the components are press fit, and the lens fell out on one of them... a little crazy glue, and better than new!
Otherwise, be sure to get the clip (that's purchased separately $1.50)

Dr.444

Enlightened
EagleTac D25A2 Mini (2xAA ~ 242LM ~ XP-G2 ) a bit bigger than the penlight , and you get way better runtimes.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you know someone who works in a hospital they use disposable pen lights that take AAA batteries,i got a free full box of them.

theilluminati

Newly Enlightened
<p>
EagleTac D25A2 Mini (2xAA ~ 242LM ~ XP-G2 ) a bit bigger than the penlight , and you get way better runtimes.
Site is the replica of the Apple website)</p>
<p>
 </p>
<p>
I really need 2xAAA, not 2xAA; but thanks.</p>

AutoTech

Enlightened
Think the preon 2 will be a bit bright for reading?

Do you know what'd be really nice in a penlight? A twisty like those nice smooth pens you get where they twist to smoothly reveal nib. It'd be nice if a manufacturer used the same feeling twist (that really nice smooth but firm feel) you get from a decent pen in a pen light for infinately variable output.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] I guess in practice I'll more often will use the light for reading when there is no electricity, than to blind or hit the enemy (2nd use case); hence an accessory headband would be nice.
For the purposes of this discussion, let's please bias the conversation toward the first-use-case, thank you.

John Luker

Newly Enlightened
My go to 2xAAA is the Ti Preon 2. I got mine used from a member of another forum.

theilluminati

Newly Enlightened
Think the preon 2 will be a bit bright for reading?

Do you know what'd be really nice in a penlight? A twisty like those nice smooth pens you get where they twist to smoothly reveal nib. It'd be nice if a manufacturer used the same feeling twist (that really nice smooth but firm feel) you get from a decent pen in a pen light for infinately variable output.

I am not sure if I understand this. Do you guys?

Charles L.

Enlightened
You mentioned a headlamp as one possibility. Still open to that idea? I find it so much easier to read with both hands free. A nice floody light that is light and comfortable on the head works great. I use my Zebralight H600f almost every night to read. The ZL H52 and 32 are even lighter, since they take smaller batteries. They also are removable from the headband and come with a pocket clip for hand-held use.

I have a Preon 2 with the Nichia 219 emitter. I think the concern mentioned above is that, at its lowest level, it still may be a bit bright for reading. Personally I think it would be OK. Preon 2 and O'Pen are both very nice penlights.

Edit: having just looked up the word Kubotan, I realized I misunderstood your post. Sorry. Preon 2 should be fine for reading. Kind of blunt and smooth for Kubotan :)

Last edited: