SF EDC light, witch one?

Godfryness

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys/gals, please help me find a new SF EDC light. This light is for EDC,defence, and will be partnered with a sig p228 I CC. My experiences with SF has been amazing so that why I choose them for my next light. I own a m600u scout, x300u, and g2x tactical. Like I said, all my SF have been sweet.

The light must have a few requirements. High and low mode. High of 200 to 500 lumen range. Low I really don't know. Is 5 lumen not enough or 15 to much? Also remember it's will be used with a handgun so if a certain model in a line is better please explain, I.e tactical, etc.

I am looking but no limited to:
Eb1
Eb2
Lx2 lumamax
E1d
E2d
Outdoorsman

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Last edited:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you plan on carrying the light? I currently still use my E1B because I find the EB1 a little too big and the E1D prone to tearing up my pockets.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say LX2 .. maybe the best UI for a tactical multimode flashlight that you may use paired with the gun.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say LX2 .. maybe the best UI for a tactical multimode flashlight that you may use paired with the gun.

Agreed. The bigger heads on the EB1/EB2 series make them too large for pocket carry, IMO. If you're planning on using this as a hybrid EDC/defensive carry light, the LX2 is where it's at.

Godfryness

Newly Enlightened
How do you plan on carrying the light? I currently still use my E1B because I find the EB1 a little too big and the E1D prone to tearing up my pockets.

I plan to carry it on my support side pocket with pocket clip.

Godfryness

Newly Enlightened
Agreed. The bigger heads on the EB1/EB2 series make them too large for pocket carry, IMO. If you're planning on using this as a hybrid EDC/defensive carry light, the LX2 is where it's at.

Is the lx2 up to date with SF latest improvements of power consumption and lumen outputs, or in a year or less will we see a newer lx2? Also if the head of the e1d/e2d is to big, does that say the same for the eb1/eb2? Are the two cell lights too big also for pocket carry? Sorry this will be my first EDC light. Thanks

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the lx2 up to date with SF latest improvements of power consumption and lumen outputs, or in a year or less will we see a newer lx2? Also if the head of the e1d/e2d is to big, does that say the same for the eb1/eb2? Are the two cell lights too big also for pocket carry? Sorry this will be my first EDC light. Thanks

The LX2 will likely be discontinued at some point soon, because the same interface is available in the newer EB2 line. So, I doubt you'll see an upgrade. The LX2 has a regulated output for 2 hours, meaning it is a constant 200 lumens (actually has been measured at approx 240 lumens, Surefire underrates this light) for the entire runtime on high before it starts to drop off.

Conversely, the EB2 has a quicker gradual decline in brightness from the first minute you turn it on.

Use the search field at the top left of the forum and look for beamshots from each light, as well as side by side comparisons/photos and see what you think will work for you.

As for the size of the heads, I just found a thread that has a great side by side comparison photo, and I retract my statement. The head on the EB2, while bulkier overall, is no larger diameter wise than the largest part of the LX2 head.

This thread has pics, and runtime graphs for the EB2:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Backup-Review-photos-beamshots-and-discussion

This thread is more centered on the LX2, and has a runtime graph for that model:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?236383-My-2009-Surefire-LX2

Last edited:

Fast LT1

Newly Enlightened
Surefire lx2 like others have said. Or an eb1. I have both and switch back and forth constantly, both are awesome.

Godfryness

Newly Enlightened
The LX2 will likely be discontinued at some point soon, because the same interface is available in the newer EB2 line. So, I doubt you'll see an upgrade. The LX2 has a regulated output for 2 hours, meaning it is a constant 200 lumens (actually has been measured at approx 240 lumens, Surefire underrates this light) for the entire runtime on high before it starts to drop off.

Conversely, the EB2 has a quicker gradual decline in brightness from the first minute you turn it on.

Use the search field at the top left of the forum and look for beamshots from each light, as well as side by side comparisons/photos and see what you think will work for you.

As for the size of the heads, I just found a thread that has a great side by side comparison photo, and I retract my statement. The head on the EB2, while bulkier overall, is no larger diameter wise than the largest part of the LX2 head.

This thread has pics, and runtime graphs for the EB2:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Backup-Review-photos-beamshots-and-discussion

This thread is more centered on the LX2, and has a runtime graph for that model:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?236383-My-2009-Surefire-LX2

Thank you very much for the great info.