• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired closed Copper Nightlights 10MM led long runtime/low output

BriteLite2

Enlightened
With some nervous trepidation I am offering for sale here a handmade little nightlight I have created utilizing solid copper fittings and one of my favorite leds the 10MM diffused dome . to give a little background on these ... I have always wanted a light that I could setup in a room or wherever and have it run un-attended and with minimal attention/maintenance for a very long period of time. Not a bright light or a light that uses exotic or hard to find batteries . Just something bright enough to help guide me to the bathroom or to the sink for a drink of water. Or maybe just a soft light to calm me when waking from a nightmare or hearing a sound late at night. After a long time of being fascinated with all kinds of lighting I finally realized I wanted to create something myself that would fulfill a need most of us have at some point in our lives. I also have a never ending fascination/addiction to Copper and Titanium. There is just something about them both that I am drawn to as many here are also. the warmth of copper is unmatched by anything else I have ever seen. just looking at it in any shape or form brings a warmth and calmness to me. Titanium , especially polished Titanium tends to have the same affect on me. something about the way it reflects light in different colors and hues is just amazing to me. Since I cant obtain Titanium in any form that would easily translate into a platform for a light of this nature I went with copper as its something readily available but not cheap. I am shocked at how expensive copper is getting these days !!!! I have spent a good part of the summer trying to come up with a solid design and after many trials and errors I think I have something close to my vision. I will continue with someother ideas and designs in the future but as these are extremely time consuming and tedious to make it could be quite awhile before anything else comes to fruition. I do hope these are received well here and that maybe some others may find the form/function of these little guys appealing also.

Some of the details These are stand alone lights that utilize a Daylight/warm tint 10mm diffused dome led. They require 2 aa batteries to operate. Lithium/alkaline NIMH are all ok. Since in essence these are direct drive lights output will taper gradually as the voltage drops. there will not be sudden turnoff just a long gradual decrease in output. Now the pics may make it seem like these nightlights are very bright. that's not the case. That's my phone camera not doing a good job. Batteries are placed in the holder mounted to the bottom of the host via a sliding hatch. most of this batch of lights also has a switch override on the battery case to turn the light off if desired. a cpl do not have the switch. These lights also utilize a photosensitive led which is what you see on the front of the host in the silver bezel. the darker it gets the brighter the output. the lighter it gets the dimmer the led goes until lights out . I love these little 5mm leds!!! They fit right into the function of these lights and my vision. No need to remember to turn the nightlight off or on. its all taken care of for you !!!

The hosts are of course copper fittings and the gold tint "bezels" are bronze bushings.

On the topic of runtime and output. I would guestimate output at startup on a fresh set of batteries to be somewhere around 3 lumens? Its enough light to navigate a room but not enough to keep people awake. the beam is diffused and warm/natural in tint so its soft and not harsh and very tranquil . by the time the batteries are drained your probably looking at sub 1 lumen .I have been running one of these

since the beginning of July every night . its still putting out dim light as of last night. to me that's pretty damn good as I will only have to change batteries six times in a year . That's with alkies. If I used Lithiums I am thinking runtimes could be well beyond what I am seeing? I am thinking in the future of something using c or d cells which would give some really awesome runtimes!!! But that's just a thought right now.

I need to make something clear on the appearance or finish/look of these lights in case it is not evident in the pics. These copper fittings have been processed by hand by me to the best of my ability time permitting. In other words they have a certain combination look of refined and finished and also a raw steampunkish look to them. when I get the fittings they tend to be a bit nicked and scratched as they are usually in large bins just banging around . . I wish I could get my hands on them before that happens as it would save me tons of time and sweat . They also tend not to mate together cleanly so time must be spent in grinding/mating connections and surfaces as the way they are initially is rather crude . so I try my best to get things straightend out and cleaned up. But there will be some "character" and "beauty" marks on these lights so if you are a perfectionist then maybe these aren't for you !!! I myself actually like the "imperfections" as they add a certain quality and character and individuality to each light.

Also as these are made of 100% copper they will form a patina over time. That's what copper does and these are not lacquer coated. I personally love the patina and enjoy watching the changes over time. But if you want to keep it shiny and bright its not too hard to do so. Just some elbow grease and 0000 steel wool will do the trick. or spend some serious time and get a super mirror finish on it!!! I must admit I also enjoy spending time polishing metal its like basket weaving therapy for me :) But I just don't have the time to invest in making these to some level of perfection that some would like.

There are two versions of these as you probably noticed. One with "flared" feet the other shorter with non flared feet. The non-flared will be the only ones of this style as I can no longer source that part at a reasonable price. so the rest and any future ones have the flared style. also there is one light being offered with a very warm candle like tint. all others have a daylight tint to them siding on the warm side of tints. These leds are waaay below their operating threshold as they are heavily resistored to bring output down to the low levels I desired so life expectancy of the leds should be long and full. There are also a cpl that are being offered at reduced pricing. these have an issue that is purely cosmetic and nothing functionally wrong with them . One has a battery case that is crooked. I must have had one too many drinks that day :) If you don't care as much about looks/perfection then its a way to save a little and try one of these out. I currently have 8 ready to ship and I will list them as efficiently as I can below . I have 2 more near completion by maybe the end of the week or next.

I hope these are received well by CPF and that others might see the from/function appealing and useful. If you have any questions or comments please don't hesitate. I can get basic measurements if needed also . they are a good size for a bookshelf or table . maybe 4-5 inches high. Oh one more thing. these lights are heavy. If they get knocked over they will more than likely put a dent in wood if they fall face first. So think twice before putting them on your Victorian era writing desk!!!

NightLight #1 sold
Daylight/warm led with overide switch and non flared legs $52 shipped w/tracking in CONUS

NightLight#2 sold
Warm Candle like tint/screw on battery case door/no switch/non-flared legs $52 shipped w/tracking CONUS

NightLight#3 sold
Daylight/warm tint no switch /screw down battery cover/crooked battery case $37 Shipped w/tracking in CONUS

NightLight#4 sold
Daylight/warm tint/overide switch/flared legs $52 shipped CONUS w/track

NightLight#5 sold
Daylight/warm/neutral tint/non flared legs/overide switch $52 shipped w/tracking CONUS

NightLight #6 sold
Daylight/Neutral tint/overide switch/flared legs/Orange oring at midsection of host /slightly raised Brass led bezel $52

NightLight #7 sold
Daylight/Neutral tint/flared legs/overide switch $52 shipped CONUS

NightLight #8 sold
Warm/Daylight tint /non flared legs/Screw battery case cover $45 shipped CONUS w/tracking

Oh as a postscript note I am not really making any profit on these lights. the cost of the materials per light is more than 1/2 the price I ask. whats left wouldnt be enough to cover the cost of buying more components to make more. with the time involved in putting these together I am making about $2/hr . For me the reward is hopefully people getting/enjoying the lights as much as I do and contributing to the CPF community :)
Thanx for looking!!!!

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Enlightened
Re: FS:Copper Nightlights 10MM diffused daylight/warm tint low output/long runtime

I'll take #7 if available. These look really cool. Decorative and functional, I think they'll be a hit. Tempted to buy two, but I'd like to give one a try first.
Shoot me a pm with PP info.
Thanks, DB

BriteLite2

Enlightened
Re: FS:Copper Nightlights 10MM diffused daylight/warm tint low output/long runtime

Thanx for the interest DB!!

Pm ing info now and I should be able to ship tomorrow (tuesday) via USPS with tracking

I am hitting the sack and will be back on in the morning early to check in here

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll take #4

Please PM me PayPal info, thanks!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast

These look amazing!
I'll have to get one from the next batch when I have some $
Will fit my warehouse loft perfectly.
Thanks for making these!

Icehole

Enlightened

These look really interesting....

i would like like the first 3...

#1, #2, and #3.

BriteLite2

Enlightened

Wow thanx for all the interest guys!! I am truly flattered !!

PMs have been sent

that leaves #5,#6 and #8 I believe.

I am trying to get 2 or 3 more done by weeks end if anyone else is interested. I have one that will be a reduced price due to aesthetics also . these are often hit and miss with appearance as many steps require a manual finesse that can end up not being visually up tp par. once again there is nothing functionally lacking in the lower priced units.

thanx again for looking!!

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm interested in #5, if you'll do international shipping (at extra cost to me and I'll take the risk).

stewdogg

Enlightened

I'll take #8
Are the non flared legs easer to tip over than the flared legs?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks awesome britelite. I don't think you'll have any problems sending each of these to a good home. Make sure to ask a fair price for yourself though! I think all CPF'ers would agree that someone's handcrafted work deserves a fair price and I don't know that $2 /hr is very fair for you.

I look forward to reading some of the feedback from your customers!

BriteLite2

Enlightened

Thanx guys!!!

to answer the question yes the non flared feet are a little narrower than the flared but its not drastic.

I was thinking of trying to come up with a tripod design but havnt found the right combination yet so the search continues

BriteLite2

Enlightened

If everyone is having trouble with my Paypal please let me know. I cant tell if I have an issue with it or not.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D

What a great idea! I have been wanting something like this for a while; a light that just glows all the time. I like these better than the large tritium spheres that glow. They, the spheres, are cool but a hassle, at least to me.

Just a a simple led with a battery change from time to time.

Well done!

NR

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is a neat project! Based on my experiences from the Minimag Forever thread, and the forward voltage of these LEDs, I found that low-enough Vf LEDs run nicely on quality NiMHs. It's expensive to put NiMHs in, but they won't leak.

I got about four month's runtime before a certain princess took it apart. Good luck!

BriteLite2

Enlightened

Thanx for the comments guys!!

I want to go the NIMH route also but don't have a good charger . the crap one that comes with my Energizer Nimh batteries sucks. 1/2 the time it doesn't charge at all.

so I think that leaves #6 ?

others are marked either sold or pending .

If the pendings fall thru I will relist them as available

Last edited:

Blerv

Newly Enlightened

Great creation! I'll take #6 if it's available. Please send me paypal info :).

sassaquin

Enlightened

Hi BriteLite2,
I'd like to purchase one of the (aesthetically pleasing) lights you are currently working on. If possible, I prefer a daytime/warm LED and a switch. I'll send PayPal now if you want payment up front. Thanks.

- sassaquin

BriteLite2

Enlightened

Hi Sassaquin!!

Ok I will mark one down for you . hope to have them done before the end of the week. I will PM you when done ok? no need to pay upfront.

Thanx for your interest!!

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those look sweet BriteLite2! I might be interested in picking up one or two for my parents if you have more warm white available down the road. Going to check with them as well and see if this is something they might like and use but with my Dad being bedridden most of the time right now this may be something that can work easy on the eyes for waking up at night.

sassaquin

Enlightened

Hi Sassaquin!!

Ok I will mark one down for you . hope to have them done before the end of the week. I will PM you when done ok? no need to pay upfront.

Thanx for your interest!!

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you soon.