newest magic shine lamp?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have it, but typically lumen claims like this are LED lumens, meaning for a very brief period at turn on, the light is theoretically capable of producing 1200 lumens at the LED. However, there is sometimes a quick drop in output with-in the first few minutes, and after taking into consideration reflector loss and front glass cover loss, you're probably looking at anywhere from 20-40% less than the manufacturer's claim, so maybe a sustained OTF (out the front) of 800- 900 lumens, which still isn't bad.

My main problem with this kind of light can be demonstrated by reading the first review on the left side, where he proudly states that it's so bright that on his ride home people coming the other direction had to cover their eyes. Yes, he was blinding them, that's how bright it is. Yippeee, a light so bright it can blind everybody who's coming the other direction.

Of course he says that now he points it down every time somebody approaches, but that seems like it might get old, and after a while he'd just forget about that and not worry about blinding people.

Anyway, my point is, anybody can get a cheap super bight light and put it on their bike, and if you're riding out in the boonies, then great, but for in town riding, that is completely rude, not to mention unsafe.

There are alternatives, lights specifically manufactured for bicycles that have shaped beams which place the light on the roadway, not up in people's eyes. Yes, they are typically a bit more expensive, but they actually work much better, giving a nice even beam that is easy on the eyes for you AND those coming towards you.

Check out the Philips Saferide, or the Busch & Muller Ixon IQ Premium to see what I'm talking about.

jawnn

Enlightened
what lamp to get?

I found this page; I must buy one at once!
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m.asp

What I would like to find is a lamp that also has a shades on the sides like they used to before the industry turned them into some kind of slick overpriced scam.

And just put a LED house lamp inside of it. I have several of them for 12 DC.

I have a Sunwayman D40A torch and would like to find a way to hold it on my bars so it will not bounce. Then get another hand torch that has more batterys , three or four 18650's should do it??

Last edited:

chanrobi

Newly Enlightened
Is this lamp any good? It can't possibly have lumen output they say can it?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJZ015Y/?tag=cpf0b6-20

maybe this is the older one? or just direct from china?

I was thinking of rebuilding the battery pack so i could use the new balance chargers. but would rather find a mart charger for them.

It won't have anywhere near 1200Lumens. I used this guy before - you can get it cheaper on dealextreme if you are OK with waiting. It's more equivalent to a FL-1, 600'ish lumen I would say. Batteries are really crap on it, fairly fragile and the worst part is that the light will shut off in the middle of a ride from 100% when it runs out of batteries instead of dimming.

OK light if you know can workaroudn the lmitations.