Are the new Maglite 3rd Gen and Magcharger LED lights inferior to the older models?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the new Maglite 3rd Gen and the newer Magcharger LED lights inferior to the older models?

I was looking at buying either a newer 3rd Gen Maglite or the new Magcharger.

I have seen some reviews from people stating there are a lot of things about them that are nowhere near as solid or engineered like the older models.

Has anyone had experiences with the new and old models of Maglites? :confused:

CHEERS

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have about 5 Maglites that I bought years ago that originally had incan bulbs in them, and converted them to LED. I also have a few 3 and 2D Maglites and few AA mini models that I have purchased over the past few years. I see no difference in build quality between any of them. The physical design of them have changed very little. People always think older items are better than then the newer ones, maybe for sentimental reasons. :). I would have to see actual proof of failure rates if somebody claims the newer ones are not as reliable.

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
I found the new tail call easier and smoother to put on after inserting batteries. I am basing this off of memory as I no longer have an older 3 cell to compare it against. I really like the new light.

AutoTech

Enlightened
I have about 5 Maglites that I bought years ago that originally had incan bulbs in them, and converted them to LED. I also have a few 3 and 2D Maglites and few AA mini models that I have purchased over the past few years. I see no difference in build quality between any of them. The physical design of them have changed very little. People always think older items are better than then the newer ones, maybe for sentimental reasons. :). I would have to see actual proof of failure rates if somebody claims the newer ones are not as reliable.

OP is referring to the new 3rd gen maglites, do you have these to compare? It's just you said you're comparing them to ones you've bought over recent years. The new maglites have only been out a very recently, within couple of weeks IIRC.

I noticed in a video on YouTube the guy said the new one is very light, the switch assembly is plastic and takes a lot of weight out. If the actual body is the same thickness and material, the weight probably just makes it feel cheaper. It may well be just as durable but placebo is telling people otherwise.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had the the older Magcharger for many years (about 20 at least) and it still works but I put the Terralux 1000 lumen module and the newer NIMH 3500mah battery pack in it.

I have various Mini Maglites.

I have a 3D LED 137 lumen Maglite as well.

It does not output that much light but what is there is very tight with little spill.

They are putting plastic lenses into them now and I have seen people with switch issues etc.

Do you think the wall thicknesses are less than the older ones?

Are any Maglites rated as being waterproof?

I like the newer 3rd Generation Maglites as far as looks, price and specs go, I just need to know if they are sturdy.

I usually take my Fenix TK75 for night walks but there is somewhat of a safe feeling when carrying the longer Magcharger around at night!

I sometimes carry my newer SR52VN nowadays.

A self defense tool it is not, unless you throw it like they do in the western movies when the bullets run out in their guns!!

CHEERS

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP is referring to the new 3rd gen maglites, do you have these to compare? It's just you said you're comparing them to ones you've bought over recent years. The new maglites have only been out a very recently, within couple of weeks IIRC.

I noticed in a video on YouTube the guy said the new one is very light, the switch assembly is plastic and takes a lot of weight out. If the actual body is the same thickness and material, the weight probably just makes it feel cheaper. It may well be just as durable but placebo is telling people otherwise.

Good point. I did not catch that! No, I do not have one of the new Maglites, at least not yet! :devil: As far as the extra plastic in them to make them more lightweight, I would not be surprised if that made them less durable, but there is apparenlty no real way of knowing that for sure if they have just been released. Sometimes you can make something TOO light! I would not be overly concerned about the weight of a light the size of say, a 3D Maglite. It is going to be heavy anyhow when you put the batteries in it. Me personally, I prefer lights that are overbuilt and little heavier. It gives me more of a feel of confidence in them!