Things change over time

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first found CPF, Mag, and cheap disposables were pretty much my daily lights. Used them for a long long time. Found CPF and things changed significantly. I expect it was the same more or less for most of us. For a few years (AD-CPF.... After Discovering :) ) have bought and carried a lot of lights. Stuck to D Cell lights for my main outside work, single 18650 lights for my hip, a AA in my pocket and a 123 on my keys. A 2x123 Light in the glove box, and a headlamp in the toolbox. Assorted lights rode in those positions but essentially the format was the same. Now however, I am retired. The big D's have been relegated to door guard duty. The single 18650's, aside from a couple specialty lights (UV), are in the light drawer. The CR123's are in the same drawer, except for glove box lights, they are still there. The single AA lights are now tribble like in their apparent breeding abilities. A few in each room, on key chain's, in cars..... never know where one will pop up. Headlights are in the garage now. For big light, a small collection of assorted 4x18650 lights as grown to cover anything the AA's won't. Still maintain, the lights not in use regularly. Though most of the door and drawer lights, aside from maintenance, they are not used.

The same for many of my knives I used to carry. The big heavy duty fixed blades are in tool boxes, or drawers. Most of the heavy duty folders are as well. Leaving just a couple folders and the constant dragonfly clipit on my key ring. No others have replaced those I already had, the need simply isn't there.

The old, no longer used lights and knives are just tools, but most are tools with stories to tell, each ding and scratch a paragraph or page of that story. See that big ding there.... That was from knocking the ice off my semi in Chicago that one time.... Which is why I won't get rid of them. And I know that if needed, I have them ready.

I expect were I still working I would go back to bigger lights again. But, the AA and the small pocket knife seems to cover 90% of what I need now. Curious if others have had similar or experience along these lines with some sort of life changes they went through?

Inova his head

Newly Enlightened
Well for me, thus far it's more the other way round. I did start off thinking Mags were the be all and end all, but since then I've gathered more and more lights that I have no conceivable use for! :D

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Hmm... interesting observation and I had a chuckle about your comment that your AA lights are like tribbles.

I started off way back in the day with 4D maglites, when I discovered CPF, I gravitated to small, single cell lights (R/CR123's mainly), moved quickly to 2xCR123's lights, various headlamps, then 1x18650 lights then maxed out with a 3x18650 light. I then started purchasing a whack of 1xAAA lights, even gave a bunch away as gifts. Then, started looking at 4xAA lights and then a stretch of purchasing a bunch of 1x17650 and 1x18650 lights.

Now, I just tend to edc a 1xAAA on my keychain with a 1x18650 light in my courier bag and also a bunch of 1x18650 lights laying around my home.

I find that I am starting to standardize on fewer battery types but, like you, I am sure that it's cyclical... eventually, something shiny may come along and catch my eye! :devil:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Among what I notice is that the efficiency among the various sources yield very good performance for the battery size. I still have 123 lights but I'm finding the preference for AA and AAA lights. Most my tasks aren't requiring lots of output so between 35-80L is quiet sufficient. This is easily met by many lights in that battery class.

Poppy

Flashaholic
LOL... Yes, MANY things have changed for me!

A couple of years ago, I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in ten years or more. His comment to me was... "boy did you get GREY!" ... of course I had to reply with, "yeah and did you get FAT!" Oh well... I'm still grey, and he lost some weight. :rolleyes:

Yes... back in the day, Maglights were in each of my vehicles, and came on all camping trips. I recall being quite proud of myself showing other scouts how the dim light of the solitaire was really all you needed to walk a path. LOL... I guess I was really using "The REAL moonlight" hey reppans you would have been proud of me back then :thumbsup:

The "dollar stores" around here had 3 LED - 2D cell flashlights for a buck! I'd buy them five at a time and five- two packs of Panasonic D cells. Man... I gifted them all over the place. It was like I was the discoverer of sliced bread.

I came here for advice on a wooded area SAR light. At the time... TN30 was the recommendation, and I got one. And a TN11, and later a TK35 as back-ups. So now... fully into 18650s I filled out the barn a little (not too crazy though).

A Thrunite Ti was too big to EDC, so a Streamlight Nano it was. Yeah... wrong choice, now my EDC is a DQG AAA IV in stainless NW.

Seeing all the interest around here for eneloops/duraloops and consolidating everything to run on them, I tried a 6 cell AA light. I won't get another.

Recently, I became interested in lanterns, and was impressed by the long run-times of D cell lanterns albeit relatively low output levels for a lantern (80-120 lumens). I might just pick up a few Tenergy 10,000 mah D NiMH batteries. Will this mean that I have come full circle? I used to have some rechargeable Cs and Ds, but they were of poor quality, and low mah.

Last edited: