the Best Day of Your Life... Your Story

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't have to be THE best day ever, just the best day you can remember.... perhaps the top 3 whether it be because of one event or a chain of events... doesn't matter. If it was the best for you this is the place to share...

Mine happened last Monday:

It started as a mix of good-bad. I was supposed to have the full day off, but because of bad planning from my boss, I conceded that I could take a flight in late afternoon.

At 11 a.m. I had an appointment. At a race track. It started with a super special for 10 laps but they had a cancellation during the weekend and let me know, so I took an extra 2 laps. When I got there, the VIP special had been canceled so they added a lap. 8 Laps in a Ferrari F340 and 5 in a Lamborghini. The Ferrari co-pilot let me floor the F340 to the max and made me take the curves so fast I could feel the car slide by a couple of inches sideways while cornering. The Lambo is just so much heavier it felt like a pleasure ride in comparison. I was still shaking from the Ferrari laps even after racing the Lamborghini. That alone made my day!

Then I had to drive the full 2 hours back home for lunch and to get my luggage.

After the flight, the lady at the car rental agency said "all I have left in mid-size is a VW Beetle." I was headed to a large manufacture to install a 100K$+ system; that wouldn't look very professional. I just said "I'm not really a fan of VW." The lot attendant had something else to do first, so she headed out to check herself. Time went by and she came back saying "All I can give you next is a Charger at no extra cost. It's fresh off the production and has 10 kilometers on it" (10K = 6 miles). That's my dream car right there!!! I can't count how many times I prayed I would be stuck with a Charger, but right off the line??? By the time the papers had been completed, the lot attendant had come back and got the story. With the keys in hand, I just stopped in my tracks and told them about my morning experience. They sure were impressed.

It was already dark out and I now had an hour drive in the Toronto area, which I am absolutely not familiar with. Passing cars was fun, though.

By the time I got to the hotel it was past 8 p.m. My company normally finds the most standard hotel rooms, but we have a new travel agency. I was booked in a Queen suite. By now I was saying out loud it must be the best day of my life. I'm sure there have been others, but I still can't remember them after piloting that Ferrari and being handed a spanking' new Dodge Charger for a week. From there I walked a couple of streets to a sector with restaurants and bars. The first one I went to I ordered a beer before asking if the kitchen was open. The service was not very polished and no food due to early kitchen closing time. At least they directed me to the right place; an Irish pub. At about the exact time I finished my food, a live comedy show started and these guys were really good! It's a place they go to just for testing material, thus the lack of cover charge, but seeing how those guys dealt with botched jokes or the bad material was a great show in itself, not to mention they actually made me laugh.

The next day (Tuesday), we found out that the client had prepared nothing of what they were supposed to so we couldn't get any work done, so we left early and knew the work would not be completed in time or we'd just have a hell of a time getting it done. That afternoon a truck lost a re-thread tire on the highway and all the traffic came to a sudden stop. After stopping I immediately looked in the rear view mirror only to see a 1500 pickup with a HUGE trailer a measly 200 yards behind who was only starting to brake, barely slowing down with his trailer shaking left and right. I gave a quick glance at my right blind spot and floored it just enough to get out of his way and saved the both of us from a bad time. There was just no way I'd let a brand new Charger go to waste on my watch (and there was no way I'd let it be grabbed from my hands either!)

Since I started it, let's finish it; we did overtime this week, despite agreeing we shouldn't, to get that thing installed and working and I got it going with 42 minutes to spare before I had to leave for the airport today. I stayed a bit to make sure we'd test it for a bit and I arrived at the airport with only minutes to spare. Then I learned my flight was delayed by an hour while I was checking in, which was a tension reliever at that point.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being a family friendly forum that will surely limit the really good stories..:laughing:

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
The day my daughter was born (2 years ago) and I held her for the first time... So scared and worried that I could take care of her, I was sure I would "break" her. That day changed everything and every day after that has been completely different. Things just seem to have more meaning now, good and bad. I never knew fear until she was born. now I worry all the time. But I also look at the world as the place that she will inherit and put my energy toward setting her up to have a good life, and teaching her the life lessons that she needs to be able to thrive. I was born to be a Dad, I love it so much. I just never knew it until she came along.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Sunday Sept. 14th, 2014 - Received my long awaited kidney transplant. Tears for the donor and his family - tears of joy for my family - and a new lease on life.

BanditoPete

Newly Enlightened
Sunday Sept. 14th, 2014 - Received my long awaited kidney transplant. Tears for the donor and his family - tears of joy for my family - and a new lease on life.

Congratulations! Your gratitude is indeed sincere. Prayers your way as well as for your donor.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm definitely speechless on that one, yet I expected something that would have that effect on me when I started the thread... I can only say 'live long' as I was absolutely unprepared for something like this... (BanditoPete does have great words, however)

Old James Ryan: [addressing Capt. Miller's grave] My family is with me today. They wanted to come with me. To be honest with you, I wasn't sure how I'd feel coming back here. Every day I think about what you said to me that day on the bridge. I tried to live my life the best that I could. I hope that was enough. I hope that, at least in your eyes, I've earned what all of you have done for me.

From Saving Private Ryan

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't say it was the best day of my life - but certainly the best working day...

Drive through spectacular countryside for 3 hours to meet a helicopter to fly my colleague and I up to a difficult to access mountaintop covered in snow. There I'm greeted by a challenging problem to fix, and solved it with a heretofore untried method (I always like fixing things in crazy or new ways), we fly back down to the car, where we realise we'll be late home, so decide to stop for dinner and blow it out with $50 steaks and beer (paid for by my employer). We get home just in time I get to see my kids before bed.

So to summarize: Double-time pay for overtime, Spectacular scenery, free helicopter ride to the snow (being in Australia, snow isn't that common), challenging and rewarding work, free steak and beer.

Norm

Retired Administrator
U
Congratulations I'm on my second TX, first in 1995, current TX was four years ago on the ninth of this month.

Cheers Norm

CRKDMike

Enlightened
The day my son was born after a lot of worry about his well-being in the womb. He was undersized, with the cord around his neck, and missing a kidney. When he came out crying, I was overwhelmed with emotion, and that doesn't happen a lot. It was a great day.

Other than that, the first day of my honeymoon, on a cruise that we wouldn't otherwise be able to afford. Incredible feeling.

harro

Enlightened
The day my son was born after a lot of worry about his well-being in the womb. He was undersized, with the cord around his neck, and missing a kidney. When he came out crying, I was overwhelmed with emotion, and that doesn't happen a lot. It was a great day.

Is'nt it amazing how a small pink blob can set your priorities straight. My son, now 14, was about 13 years in the making. He then decided he'd had enough of captivity about 11 weeks prior to full term. This was a cause for concern, as my wife lost two siblings just after their birth ( both boys ), and her mum also passed away just after the birth of the second boy ( my wife being born between the two boys ). For me, it was a relief, and a very happy day after that first 48 hrs or so !!

:wave:

kaikoakh29

Newly Enlightened
Mine was today actually I we were on our way to the bose store and then I see a Bently dealership there really nice cars. Then I look in front and I see Lamborghini Ferrari and lotus logos and I live in Kauai and its small there with no big roads so the nicest cars will b like mustangs and Camaros and those are usually rentals. So I pull into this lambo place and its car hevan. It was the first time I have seen lambo up close and the only time I saw ferraris was on a trip and there were 2 of them witch was really cool and after the lambo place I went to get the new bose qc25 haha and I'm on a trip to oahu that's why I saw those lambos

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well this turned into a nice thread with some really nice posts. I'll share a story. Although not the best day (or days) of my life, they were pretty good. The day I was appointed to the PD and the day I dropped my papers and retired. Two great days for vastly different reasons. The first was the start of a career, the excitement and challenge that awaited was really something, being selected/appointed was something that I was proud of. Fast forward 20+ years later (and a lot of @*&$ later), retirement and the return to a normal life. To have my quality of life improve tremendously, my rights returned, my stress dropped to zero, and no more wacky hours and sleep patterns to deal with made the day I dropped my papers one that was pretty nice.