Review Sunwayman F(alcon)40A: compact tricolored 4 x AA battery flashlight

kj75

Enlightened
Review Sunwayman F(alcon)40A: compact tricolored 4 x AA battery flashlight

Let have a look at one of Sunwayman's latest lights, the F40A. This all-round AA-light can be used in almost every situation, from camping till hunting, from fishing till rescue.

Compact 4 x AA-light
2ewp2ll.jpg

At first, a look at the (manufacturer) specs:

● CREE XM-L2 LED, with a lifetime of up to 50,000 hours;Each 6pcs Red/Blue LEDs.
● Dual-button Side Switch on the head
Turbo: 880 Lumens (Automatically lower to High mode after 3 mins continuous use)
High: 500 Lumens (1.6hrs.)
Mid: 200 Lumens (5hrs.)
Low: 60 Lumens (13hrs.)
Firefly Mode: 1 Lumen (450hrs.)
Red Light: 28 Lumens (11hrs.)
Blue Light: 20 Lumens (15hrs.)
● Constant current circuit, constant output
● Electronic reverse battery protection
● Effective range of 230 meters
● Intensity: 13200cd
● Uses 4xAA batteries
● Working voltage: 2.8~6V
● Optimized deep metal reflector maintains great throw distance and spread with an ideal beam pattern
● Dimensions: 108mm (length) x 41mm (head diameter) x 39mm (tail diameter)
● Weight: 181g (battery excluded)
● Aerospace-grade aluminum alloy body
● Military Specification Type III- hard anodized
● Waterproof accords with IPX-8 standard
● Ultra-clear tempered glass lens resists scratches and impacts
● Tail stand capable- can be used as a candle

light comes in a carton box
iw10dc.jpg

nice that it comes including diffusor
jkc1lc.jpg

the head with total 13! leds
2dkn80g.jpg

This light offers a lot of modes. From ultra-low until turbo, red, blue and white strobe. I don't know why on this multicolor light a green mode is missing. There is also a well-fitting diffusor added, which is handy for camping, bed reading and so on.

Comes with well-fitting diffusor
2qau7g2.jpg

2cda5hh.jpg

2s91yxy.jpg

14iiwr4.jpg

First thing I noticed after unboxing was that the light is a bit heavy but also well finished. It feels real robust, good in the hand. The main led is well centered, the color leds look ok.

A look at the color leds
21ooq35.jpg

315be9s.jpg

2eocxs0.jpg

16icw11.jpg

Nice engraving
351fg50.jpg

Good grip
103vmte.jpg

You can add up to six lanyards…
:D
2dspem8.jpg

As said, the light is well finised and the threads work properly. Wish it would come with a holster and a better lanyard. Tailstand is very good. The light does'nt stand on the lanyard's knot.

F40A runs on 4 (non) rechargeable batts
2e531v6.jpg

2qk7bxi.jpg

To insert the batteries is an easy job. Works fine. No rattling, either with alkaline or eneloops.

And a look inside the battery tube
2nqun94.jpg

You have to get used by this lights user interface. It has two side buttons, one for on/off and one mode selector. A short click of the on/off will activate white mode, long press activates color mode. You can always activate firefly by long pressing the M-mode button, no matter or the light is on or off. Personally I like this! Double click on M-button activates strobe, double click on on/off activates strobe. I wish the buttons had a different shape and hope that in the future light will come with illuminated buttons, because it's hard to find them in the dark.

The buttons, sometimes hard to find in the dark
25hgxsn.jpg

I've tested the F40A underwater and in heavy rain. No problem at all.

An underwater picture, light is waterproof according IPX-8
t7za7b.jpg

Also no troubles in heavy rainfall
24nodvs.jpg

When you compare the F40A to other well known lights, you'll find out how compact it is

together with Klarus RS11 and Fenix TK35
2ngwz06.jpg

rh77s7.jpg

and a look at the heads
dm5f9k.jpg

Let's have a look now at the lights' modes and colors, projected on a white wall.. (moonlight mode can't be seen with this exposure time)

Camera settings: ISO 100, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
169gn0y.jpg

11sp7ye.jpg

20hu0rb.jpg

1zd11l0.jpg

2ec0vmq.jpg

animated picture
2pt2hon.jpg

14mcpya.jpg

13zog8l.jpg

White beamprofile is "throwy" and has a cool, a bit bluish tint. Colorled profiles look well, due the well distributed leds.

Some outdoor shots: (moonlight/firefly mode is real low, so hard to see at the picture)

Camera settings: ISO 100, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm, WB daylight
ajo07r.jpg

sy8pzo.jpg

25ms0.jpg

2s1x0qo.jpg

a9mnmf.jpg

animated:
vnmakh.jpg

2li8qyw.jpg

14iictz.jpg

The F40A has a decent throw. Difference between high and turbo is (for human eye) not that much. Blue light can lit up till max. 15 meters, blue until max. 5-10 meters. The distance is better than other multicolor lights, like the Fenix TK32 or Nitecore Chameleon series. The F40A has three strobemodes, white, red/blue and red/blue together with (blinding) white. The red/blue/white strobe with added diffusor is a real "eye-catcher"

2wowswo.jpg

Together with added diffusor and white beacon a real "eye-catcher"

The F40A is a nice compact AA-light. Easy to carry, suitable for emergency due to the strobe modes. You have to get used by the UI. Personally I like the low modes and added diffusor and the blue color mode. Wish it came with illuminated buttons and a better anti-roll design.

~ thanks to Sunwayman for providing me this review-light ~

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
You're welcome :) The weather was good for beamshots last week. And, only for that, I like the long dark evenings..:D
Winter-nights are coming :D
Received this bad-boy today.

doatyo.jpg

Hopefully my SWM M11R Ti Dream will arrive soon.

Last edited:

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
The diffuse is a very tight fit on the light. So much so, that air is compressed, and you literally have to wiggle it on a bit, to get it to sit all the way on.

Easily the most fun AA light I own.