Review Olight ST25 Baton: XM-L2 led, max. 550 lumens, 2xAA / 1x14500

kj75

Enlightened
Review Olight ST25 Baton: XM-L2 led, max. 550 lumens, 2 x AA / 1 x 14500

Let's have a closer look at the Olight ST25 Baton. This is a high output AA-light suited for every-day-use with well-balanced modes, from 1 until 550 lumens.

23tmate.jpg

14o13s4.jpg

the XM-L2 led
qsv6ac.jpg

First, we'll have a look at the specs (given by Olight):

At first, the "key features":
· Offers five brightness levels plus strobe
· New, flat Stealth tailcap that allows for quiet constant on switching
· Side switch cycles through three brightness levels and activates strobe and turbo modes
· Multi-position pocket clip that allows flashlight to be quickly deployed
· Easily accessible lock-out feature through the side switch to prevent accidental activation
· From the off position, automatically return to your last brightness level with the built-in memory function or hold for instant access to 1-lumen moonlight mode
· If your last used mode was strobe, instantly activate with the tailcap switch
· Instantly access the 550-lumen turbo mode by double clicking the side switch
· Waterproof up to two meters
· Aircraft-grade aluminum body with anti-scratch type III hard anodizing
· Stainless steel bezel provides protection from drops

and the technical specs:
2dqv7o4.jpg

the light comes in a transparent box, with IMO a nice styling. Almost all specifications are mentioned on the package.

nice, transparent package
a9k6u.jpg

with most important specs on it
11vu149.jpg

2a0cpz4.jpg

unboxed: the light, 2 spare o-rings, manual, lanyard and some leaflets
2v2d1et.jpg

First impressions:

A good finished, nice looking light with some attractive details. I like the blue o-ring and mode button, the well-done engraving and the possibility for tailstanding. The hole for lanyard-fixing is well placed, also it's a good thing that you can adjust the lanyard's size. Build quality is good, anodizing well done. You can add the clip at different ways, but it fits best under the side button.

some detail pics
2upaefm.jpg

5nt7ch.jpg

the "soft" tail button
2qu6k2e.jpg

Steady tailstand
t8u8eh.jpg

25z47fd.jpg

the blue o-ring lits up in the dark
2uomeq0.jpg

the tailcap and the lanyard hole

2mwgq5d.jpg

152iy4j.jpg

29ftco5.jpg

The light runs on 2 AA-batteries or 1 x 14500. I've tested it with a fresh 14500 (4.2v) No problems.

you can use it with 14500 together with a 0-volts "dummy" battery
2j5j287.jpg

here's a couple of batts the ST25 baton can run on…..
289fotc.jpg

User interface:

It's not hard to get used by this light. You have two buttons, a side button for mode selection, instant turbo and instant moonlight mode. When on, cycle through the modes by pressing and holding the button (low-mid-high). Double click from off activates instant-turbo. Press and hold from off activates moonlight mode. Double click (when the light is on) activates strobe. The quiet tail button allows you to switch on/off the light without noise. You can't cycle through the modes by the tail button, it activates the last used mode (except turbomode.) Button and modes work properly, no problems.

Size comparison:

The ST25 Baton is easy to carry, but not a real EDC. Most users will carry it in their coat pocket, I think…

compared to other lights: ST25 Baton, Fenix LD22, Suprabeam Q1 (2xAAA) and Fenix LD09 (1xAA)
2a8f8g7.jpg

2a0mcyb.jpg

28aopk1.jpg

We'll have a look at the beamshots now..

NOTE: all shots taken with eneloops. I've done this because of the comparison shots. Turbomode can be higher with a 14500 cell.

First, the white wall shots:

ISO 100, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, WB daylight, 35mm
xqj9yo.jpg

3462vt5.jpg

2lj3kgm.jpg

2euqsfk.jpg

v5zups.jpg

animated:
x6km85.jpg

ST25 has well balanced modes and the beam is a nice mix of flood and throw. Tint is cool white, no purple or greenish tint can be found.

Some outdoor shots…

ISO 100, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, WB daylight, 35mm
25hgvog.jpg

k2gsw.jpg

vfbcpe.jpg

29ej6g3.jpg

16q53q.jpg

animated:
169ou9c.jpg

comparison with Fenix LD22: ( NOTE: I skipped the ST25's moonlight mode, because LD22 hasn't)

2eb7gk9.jpg

wcoj5y.jpg

mvn585.jpg

14dj95e.jpg

Conclusion:
The ST25 is one of the brightest AA-lights until now. I like the looks, the finishing and the well-balanced (low) modes. I also like the soft tailbutton and the good tailstand. When you often use the turbomode, I recommend a 14500 cell together with spacer. Wish Olight could add a bit longer clip and an illuminated switch.

- thanks to Olight for providing me this review-light -

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review :) and a really good job on the product-photos. My review-sample didn't work properly after my 24 hour ice-test ;)

Face

Enlightened
Hi

Is this 550 lumens on 2xAA or just on 14500? If only on a 14500, what is the max on 2xAA?

Many thanks.