Surefire 6P Original

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spotted a couple of these... planning to get one or two, and most probably have it modded. Question is, would you still buy the 6P? How much will you be willing to pay for it (bnew)?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would happily buy a new 6P for modding. They make great hosts.

I think I paid $50 each for my last two.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire no longer makes the A19 1xCR123a-extender, but you can get them from people like Overready.com (but it's orange), and they are a perfect match for your 6P. I'm sure you can find some original, black NOS if you spend some time searching the web. Get one of those and you can make your 6P run off of 3xCR123a, or 2x17500 rechargeable Li-ion cells, and get one more if you want to use 2x17670 rechargeable Li-ion cells. Thank goodness Surefire did not drop this light when it shook up their product line a few years ago.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck yes I'd buy one. I see them quite often for approx $50 USD.

Last edited:

twin63

Newly Enlightened
I received one in the mail today. For $49.95, I got a new 6P, FM35 red filter, and a molle flashlight sheath. I didn't need it (I have a bunch of Solarforce hosts), but it's a light that I have always wanted but always passed over for something else. I'm glad I picked it up. I may even leave it stock with the incandescent bulb and carry it with my 25 year old 2AA Mini-Maglite - just for nostalgic reasons:).

scout24

Flashaholic
If there is such a thing as a future-proof host, this has got to be it. Therefore, the cost is a small price to pay given the utility down the road. Everything from stock or hotrod incands, to 5mm battery vampire hacks on up to 2500 lumen monster dropins are built for the 6P. If you have a specific output/tint/beam pattern need, it can be accomplished with a 6P. Bore it, cerakote it, dress it up with different bezel rings, get a McClicky or ZeroRes switch, the list is endless. Initial buyin can look cheap by the time that you're done. Nevermind that the stock P60 still works just as well as it did back when it first came out. Take one out on a dark night and try it. :) For $50.00 each, I'd stock up...

scout24

Flashaholic
Thanks Cland! Just echoing the thoughts of many wiser than myself... :) Novice- If I'm not mistaken, Oveready has one-cell extenders now in black. Bored for 18mm cells. Not SF A19's, but worth looking at.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your plan is to modify or bore it for 18650 cell, it might be better to get already made one. Search for Genuine modified 6P

For use with 2x18500 or 2x18650 cells, use extension tubes. Search for Ex/Cap at top left of this page, next to Google Search.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is only one "6P ORIGINAL" - the one with the OLD STYLE round bezel --> NOT PRONE to a bent front lip even without any hard use.
If You got the actual hex bezel, IMMEDIATELY get a bezel ring to protect that flimys part.
be4 You start to use it!!!

... if from the start planning to mod the light, take fivemega's recommendation and get an already 18650 bored body / flashlight.
Better and much less hassle (or chance to destroy the body) than trying to do that afterwards.
And cheaper also.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hex bezel is not flimsy, that is a pretty crazy thing to say. The body will be more flimsy when bored out for 18650, and the stock batteries will rattle in the body and probably not have the greatest contact with the lamps you use during serious use, especially when the springs lose tension or are not strong enough to begin with or the body dimensions are exact.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
perfect when your light works, wish you it will stay that way.

my story:
had the real 6P since ~'90, modded it to 18650 and led in 2004 and it works for years.
Noticed sometime there is the hey bezel now but never had one.
Finally I got an orange ceratoked one from oveready and at the same time recommended a 6P to a biking friend (who never really used it, he had it stored in his biking backpack).
At some tour it got dark and we mounted the lights.
His - till that time really unused - hex bezel was bent inside halfway around the outside diameter, a quick check at my light showed a noticeable dent. Both at the unprotected lips.
At my light not too big to not be able to mount a BEZEL RING (which I recommend for hex bezels, in case I did not mention yet) :rolleyes: but visible.

NONE OF BOTH LIGHTS - at that time the only hex bezel Surefires I had in hand - ever saw something like an impact or so, which could possibly lead to these dents,
the old 6P - the real one - was used heavily and saw quite a number of falls ... just a little bending seen.

The "new" lip is a joke!
I wonder that noone else ever mentions that, there must be other ppl who do use their lights, not baby them around like me.
:thinking:

cskc14zoihbcydkfe.jpg

--> whoever reads this: get a bezel ring that extends around the lip!
Like the oveready one on the orange model

PS: correct, when bored out the remaining sidewall at the rubber seal cutouts is paper thin. But that is not outside at the light, where impacts hit ...

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Spotted a couple of these... planning to get one or two, and most probably have it modded. Question is, would you still buy the 6P? How much will you be willing to pay for it (bnew)?

No, wouldn't buy one now. But only because I love the extra room for grip afforded by the 9P. I'd absolutely buy a stock 9P. I wouldn't pay retail for it though. At least 25% off of what most the Brick & Mortar shops want for one. But they're Authorized Dealers and SureFire won't allow them to discount any SF lights. Not even the old, discontinued ones.

Not cool, SureFire. Not cool. :thumbsdow

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed the same thing with the bezel, I have a 6P that lives in a duffel bag in the trunk of my car with blanket, compass, knife, change of clothes, etc. (and some powerbars etc. in the wintertime) - e.g. not a really brutal environment - and it too has a dent in the lip.

I just live with it, it's an emergency light after all and wasn't pretty when I put it in there.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, wouldn't buy one now. But only because I love the extra room for grip afforded by the 9P. I'd absolutely buy a stock 9P. I wouldn't pay retail for it though. At least 25% off of what most the Brick & Mortar shops want for one. But they're Authorized Dealers and SureFire won't allow them to discount any SF lights. Not even the old, discontinued ones.

Not cool, SureFire. Not cool. :thumbsdow

Thanks for your opinion. I'll check out 9P.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to warn you. They are addictive! I have about a dozen, with about 2 dozen different drop ins, bezels, extenders, holsters, filters, mounts, tail caps and the list goes on. I even keep a stock unmodified version on my desk. It works great for early morning animal chores and trash to the street runs and so on. To me: Nothing beats the warm indy light early in the am. Some Surefire nostalgia that is easy on the eyes.
6p or 9P they are nice. I like the 9P if you want a larger more powerful rig.
Already mentioned, but make sure you get a McClicky tail switch. It is also a good time to change the rubber switch color should you so choose. I like the orange or blue ones.

bulbus maximus

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a 9p, but I bought some crap rechargeable's that were evidently unprotected as they reached over 4.1 each. Three of them fried the SF Xenon bulb in a flash. They also fried a T6 right behind it. It is perfect for my duty belt, and comfortable in the car unlike the ultra stinger I just got. So what would be the best LED drop in and the best batteries to power it for dependable nightly use versus trying to scorch the surface of the moon?

sgt253

Enlightened
My opinion, Malkoff M91B drop in 5.5v-12v. "825 measured out the front lumens at turn on and 700 continuous lumens after warm up." I would use AW brand 17500 batteries to power it. Sweet spot for performance and rechargeability! Best of luck.

Illum

Flashaholic
The 6P is still a good host for 17670 + D26 set ups, twisty with lockout function, very little to break. They make very robust Home duty lights. :)
If you're going for an 18650 host, I would recommend buying a Solar Force L2 or L2P dedicated 18650 host instead. Only beef I have with them is the enlarged "pill socket." The area where the lamp sits in the body is significantly larger than that of the 6P, causing certain drop-ins to rattle and incur intermittent contact.

I still have two 6P hosts on my shelf, no idea what they're there for or how I ended up or what I plan to do with them. But one things for sure, they are keepers.