Beginner needs help with parts matching.

Matt Reed

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of places online I can buy light parts. I have various old lights pictured below which I'm planning on playing with as more of a fun project than a serious primary light.

I am also looking for some guidance on how to choose LEDs and have read about "drivers" and other things that don't really mean anything to me!

Lights "were"
1 x DR Slimline can with MR11 10W HID head - mostly all functional just needs new battery and maybe connectors.
1 x DR Wreck can with MR11 10w HID head - I've misplaced the lid of the can, battery and connectors dead.
1 x Halcyon Explorer 13.5aH battery only with wet connect. 21W HID head smashed and flooded.

For both the DR ones I would consider putting LED heads on if I can find ones at the right price, and batteries which fit the cans. Or just renewing the cables, connectors and batteries. But I need a new lid for the wreck can.

I am happy to try and put LEDS into the MR11 head if that is doable...that's where I need advice - or can I buy prebuilt heads somewhere. And how to I figure out which batteries I need for which LED heads.

For the Halcyon battery, again an nice LED head...but can I put an LED head on that battery which is designed for HID?

Any info or cool ideas on how to proceed much appreciated. I'm thinking the Halcyon battery would be great to power a dual LED video lighting system...

Thanks in advance.

Matt.
10644113_10152288114822750_4024574966784122727_o.jpg

jspeybro

Enlightened
Hi,

10W HID lights can be easily replaced by LEDs. There are a few examples on the forum I think. Mostly they are replaced by a single LED due to the diameter of the head.
I've a few such upgrades on greenforce 10W HID lights:
- MCE + TIR optic from DX
- MTG2 + deep reflector (very nice result, currently my primary light)

greenforce also has a standard kit to convert welch-allyn 10W HIDs as can be seen for example here:
http://below1bar.com/Greenforce-HID-REplacement-LED-Kit
this probably fits other HID lamps but I find it a bit pricy and it is most likely not comparable with current LEDs.

If you want to build your own led replacement setup, it will be easiest if you have access to lathe for making a heatsink but if you're creative, you may find ways around this.

for led video lighting, most seem to use just the LEDs without extra optics. cree XML is a popular LED for this (even several in series).

If you want to put a LED on an HID battery, all you need to check if the driver can work with the voltage and the current of the driver is right for the driver.
I don't know the voltage for the driver, but in this list you should be able to find what you need:
http://www.videofoundry.co.nz/ianman/laboratory/research/driverlist.php
you can search on the input voltage and number of leds and current so you should be able to find something usable.

good luck and have fun with these lights!

Johan