Anyone have any tool return horror stories?

Frijid

Enlightened
Just got done "bending" a craftsman evolv extension for a ratchet. It was the end that goes into the socket. well, the pack i was reading that it came in, said that the evolv line of craftsman tools requires you to have a receipt to return it with. from my understanding, the main line of craftsman, you could return without a receipt, but from my understanding, they are changing it, to where they will to have to have a receipt. Problem is, i've lost the receipt for the extension, and am just wondering how sears is in returns for ya'll. normally, i just buy harbor freight tools, and i know they require a receipt for return on hand tools. for the life of me, i can't figure out what the reason is for the requiring of a receipt. I mean, what if you have some tools that your father bought many moons ago, or you bought at a flea market or a yard sale. obviously there's not a receipt for buying at a flea market, and anything your father owned, the receipt would have faded by now. My only guess is, is that it's for if someone stole them. but then, it bears the name of the tool, and the thieving part you'll have to face to with the man upstairs, but i don't see how it should be any problem with returns.

So let's hear your horror stories on returning tools. everything go smoothly? your opinion on requiring receipts?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I bought a Rigid brand drill from Home depot. It's cordless, 18 volt Li-ion with three battery packs, etc, etc. It was a good deal, but what made it a REALLY good deal is that the batteries are guaranteed for life. A lifetime guarantee is worth big bucks! Batteries have a limited lifespan. I dutifully register the batteries online and it quickly becomes my first choice for most of my "spinning things" purposes. Drilling, buffing, stirring paint... It does it all.

Fast forward 3 years. The first battery pack won't drill more than a few holes. A few months later the next one fails. When I contact HD they tell me that the guarantee is outsourced. I eventually find that company. They want the serial numbers (there are none) and the receipt along with my registration number. Of course the receipt is long gone.

I've since bought a couple of the next generation of battery for it. It works great again, and it's still my go-to.

Daniel

Frijid

Enlightened
If their is one thing I've learned over the years, it's that most of the time, if the warranty sounds to good to be true, it normally is. As in your case, with the free lifetime warranty, they probably knew they were gonna lose money on offering a lifetime warranty on something that wasn't designed, nor could handle a lifetime of use. so they probably found some loophole to get out of it. I've come to now just look at the warranty replacement as a "maybe they will, maybe they won't" honor it kinda thing. The only companies i've ever dealt with that never gave me a hassle on warranty work was sony and modtone. had a problem with a sony product, and they paid shipping both ways, i didn't have to pay a dime. I bought a modtone pedal, and it stopped working, and they sent me another, and told me just to trash the old one. I'm fixing on trying to take my socket extension back sometime this week, so we'll see how it goes. ON a side note, i've heard that, and have secondhand experience, that SNAP-ON doesn't really honor their warranty anymore. At least, not the trucks around here.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A family friend in the upholstery/drapery businesses use to do a lot of his work at customers residences. Upon finishing he would jokingly say that the work is warrantied until he walks out the door. lol.

While not a 'return' story a horror story none the less. Many years ago I brought new tires for the car from a local tire shop that had a pretty good reputation. The sales person said they had AquaFlows on sale so I went with them not realizing they weren't GoodYear AquaTred, which were being heavily advertised at the time and which I thought I was getting on sale. Shame on me for not being more aware, I know. Every tire developed some kind of defect in the side wall from pot holes and such, more so then any other tire I ever had before or since. After the third tire had to be replaced I complained but to no avail, the damage was considered 'road hazard damage'. Horrible tires.