Darryl Alllan Dive Light Conversion

mddolson

Newly Enlightened
I've decided to convert my old Darryl Allan "Bug" light to LED. The miniature thread lamps are getting very hard to find.
They don't last either. I bought a 10 pack a couple of years ago, & down to my last one.
The light holds 10 alkaline D cells. & the lamps are rated at 12 V , 1/2 amp (6 watts).

I've decided on a 2 step conversion.
First the emitter , then the battery pack.
For the light source I've selected a 5 W 12 V "Bike light" .
I found this inexpensive one on eBay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Universal-Mo...es&hash=item5d4e4bc532&vxp=mtr#ht_2747wt_1125.

I will use it for first trials.
I will strip off the housing, & make spacer/adapters to sit in front of the battery pack.

Mike D

Last edited:

mddolson

Newly Enlightened
Yes , the aluminized reflector in the Darryl Allan, was in poor condition.
I sanded (2000 grit) & polished (diamond paste) it on my lathe, but it's not the best.
I'm looking forward to getting the new emitter.

Mike D

Last edited:

mddolson

Newly Enlightened
The lamp arrived, but I connected it to a 12V lead acid battery & the light did not look bright enough to be 5 watts.
I measured the current at 13.7 V x 0.15 Amp = 2 watts.
I have emailed the supplier. Waiting to hear back. They also offer a 3 watt version, I suspect that's what I received.

Mike D

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have the same light, (big yellow aluminium) that i bought years ago, and want to mod someday. i'm not sure how i'll go about doing it. but i'm sure that i plan to use its entire body as a heatsink.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
At that price, you shouldn't expect a great driver. It may draw 5W only when you get well above 12V. Almost certainly it's power vs. voltage curve isn't a flat line, and it may not hit 5W anywhere.

mddolson

Newly Enlightened
I double checked the current on a 12 v lead acid better (13.2 volts). It's 0.20 amperes or 2.6 watts.
I emailed the supplier & they apologized & credited a refund my paypal account, & said keep the light for my troubles.
So I'm still looking for a 5-6 W, 12V led light source.
In the mean time I have two 12 V batteries so I'll try them in series to see if it boosts the output at all.
I seem to recall there's a simple voltage doubling circuit... need to dig out my electronics notes.

or this might be a candidate:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cree-Led-Bul...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3382356840&vxp=mtr

Mike D

Last edited: